Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 20, 2010   #1
BigdaddyJ
Tomatovillian™

Default Orange Minsk and Claude Brown's Yellow Giant questions

OK, just picked a bunch of Orange Minsk from the SAME plant. I know they are days away from fully ripe but it's the shape I want to discuss. As you can see the top two are big lobed beefstakey looking. The middle two are big hearts. The bottom one hasn't made up it's mind yet? LOL Is this normal for Orange Minsk?

My Claude Brown Yellow Giants ARE Giants but they're NOT Yellow! Looks like I have a cross. I KNOW I didn't mess the seeds up. I have two plants of it and they are the tallest of my 31 tomato plants at 8' and 7.5' and it's only July 20! My Q....They are not fully ripe either. I'm guessing two more days. But do you think they will be considered a red or pink based on this pic?
Old July 20, 2010   #2
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Just found out Claude Brown's Yellow Giant is also called Brown's Yellow Giant and Brown's Yellow. Bdaddy you definately have something else. How did it taste?

Your Orange Minsk reminds me of Tom's Yellow Wonder as it threw out different shapes as well. Ami

Last edited by amideutch; July 20, 2010 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Added (Yellow) to Claude Brown's (Yellow) Giant
amideutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2010   #3
BigdaddyJ
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by amideutch View Post
Just found out Claude Brown's Giant is also called Brown's Yellow Giant and Brown's Yellow. Bdaddy you definately have something else. How did it taste?

Your Orange Minsk reminds me of Tom's Yellow Wonder as it threw out different shapes as well. Ami
Ami I will taste it (CB NOT Yellow Giant) tomorrow or the next day when fully ripe. These were my first two picked. I have two plants and both are showing this color. The gal who sent them said we probably have a cross on our hands which is fine by me. I can always grow the real CB Yellow Giant next year from a different seed source...;-)
Old July 20, 2010   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I answered your questions earlier this AM at another place so will just cut and paste from there:

Orange Minsk is beefsteak shaped not heart shaped at all, so I don't know where those fruits came from.

What was the source of your OM seed; I know it wasn't me. LOL I know Victory Seeds offers it and possibly Gleckler's and I know I sent it to Glenn at Sandhill. heck, I sent it to those tomato places where I know the owners well and trust what they do.
or maybe you traded for it? Strange to see two distinct fruit forms on the same plant although I have seen that before, years ago with one variety, and never saved seeds from anything on that plant b'c I couldn't be sure of what the deal was.
And I was so impressed with OM that I sent it for trial to quite a few places. If I had my notebook here next to me I could tell you those places. I always send to Linda at TGS but she's so far behind with trials that we decided I wouldn't send any more right now. But she DID trial the OM I sent her last year so I know in a year or two she will be listing it b'c sh absolutely loved it. I first offered Orange Minsk in my seed offer elsewhere two years ago so have seen quite a few pictures of it. And see the pictures I linked to below from a Google IMAGES. Carolyn, who says those are BIG RED, go Cornell, not yellow fruits you show there. LOL

Here is a link that might be useful: Orange Minsk
Old July 22, 2010   #5
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Usual fruit shapes of Orange Minsk are from topped heart to heart to beefsteak. It is an amateur (non-commercial) variety from Belarus so everything is possible

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2010   #6
BigdaddyJ
Tomatovillian™

Thanx for that info Andrey!
Old July 22, 2010   #7
tomatoaddict

My Orange Minsk which came directly from Andrey displayed the different shapes also.
Hehee.. I am excited about the Claude Brown Cross.... Any Aussies want seed to grow this winter?? I am going to do a seperate post about that.
Old July 22, 2010   #8
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrey_BY View Post
Usual fruit shapes of Orange Minsk are from topped heart to heart to beefsteak. It is an amateur (non-commercial) variety from Belarus so everything is possible
That being said Andrey I know of only two folks, and now Terry who have gotten anything other than beefsteaks. And one of them I can't figure out b'c the exact seed source is not given.In my free seed offer here I sent out a LOT of seed to folks last year and this year as well, and all I've seen from feedback were beefsteaks.

And there's always the possibility that someone got it from me from my 2009 listing of it in the YEarbook or here in my seed offer and ended up with maybe some crossed seeds, I don't know, but as long as Terry and Big D are saying other ORANGE shapes than beefsteak maybe it is showing a bit of genetic instability for some folks.

Tania and all she mentioned at her data base also got only beefsteaks.

I think I'll hold on to my current OM seeds but would also like some of Big D's heart seeds b'c I'm a HUGE heart lover as you know.