Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 9, 2010   #31
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Sounds like typical hot summer weather. Just kidding. I know that it is very hard on people and gardens that aren't used to it. Maybe it won't last too long; down here it can last 3 to 4 months with little breaks here and there so the thunderstorms can get the humidity back up to match the temperature. We were hovering around 100 for about 6 hrs today but at least the humidity was down to only 70% and it's supposed to cool down to the mid 90's this weekend.
My soaker hoses are really coming in handy. They are a lot of trouble to put down and cover up but well worth it during the hotter drier days. It is kinda hard to over water when it gets really dry in this heat and if you don't water enough your tomatoes will stop setting completely. Watch for spider mites they seem to love this kind of weather and in this heat can really damage a plant before you know it. Best advice water early and do any garden work very early in the morning or very late in the day. I love my tomatoes but a heat stroke is just not worth it.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2010   #32
maryserv
Tomatovillian™

I can't believe what you guys are going through up there in the NE! We are used to it down here in the SW, but when you don't have A/C normally in some spots, the heat can kill. I hope things get back to normal. It is if the weather has flip-flopped these last several months!
maryserv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2010   #33
g8shot1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryserv View Post
I can't believe what you guys are going through up there in the NE! We are used to it down here in the SW, but when you don't have A/C normally in some spots, the heat can kill. I hope things get back to normal. It is if the weather has flip-flopped these last several months!
Yep, the newer houses may have A/C but it's rare to see an older one with any around here. The people that have old stone houses are making out nicely! We've been hanging out in the basement where it's easily 15 degrees cooler than outside. Our upstairs area has been over 100f for a few days.

But I think it's over now, high in the low 80's today and mid 70's tomorrow.
Old July 9, 2010   #34
ubergoober
Tomatovillian™

Finally some relief in the way of rain here. The temps have dropped slightly as well. We went from having 44C (111F) at one point this week down to a high of 33C (84F) today (both temps are with the humidity).
ubergoober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2010   #35
b54red
Tomatovillian™

We are having a little relief now too. The temps are over 90 at 11 am but the humidity is down to 61% which for around here in the summer is nice.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2010   #36
KLorentz
Tomatovillian™

We went back into the low 80's today. While we where not as bad as what I heard NY and PA was/is getting we did go into the mid 90's for almost a week without a drop of rain since last month. I was starting to worry as the garden was getting dry. That all ended as we got a good rain yesterday. Now I can do a wee bit more new ground to plant.We may get some more rain in a few days.

Kevin
KLorentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2010   #37
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubergoober View Post
Finally some relief in the way of rain here. The temps have dropped slightly as well. We went from having 44C (111F) at one point this week down to a high of 33C (84F) today (both temps are with the humidity).
WOW! It got that hot up there in Brampton? Here in the Buffalo, NY area it got only to a high of 92F yesterday.
Thank God a nice steady rain came today, I was getting tired of watering the garden.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2010   #38
ireilly
Tomatovillian™

Mentioning humidity as a component of temperature may imply heat index values, imo.

Although when it's hot, it's just hot. I love when people say about the Southwest at like 125 degrees F, "But it's a dry heat." Fact is, it's just hot right now up North, and for sure it's tough being without an A/C to fall back upon. A fan can only do so much....
ireilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2010   #39
Timmah!
Tomatovillian™

Perhaps this is an ignorant question, but how can people be without AC just because the houses were built without any form of cooling? One can buy a window unit for as cheaply as $90?
Timmah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2010   #40
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

for the past 7 days the low was 92, the 2 worst days were 101 and 102 both tying records, we had a 97, all other days of the 7 were in the mid 90s but right now it's 72 degrees, the humidity is 83% with a dew point of 66 so i might have to start the wood stove since it's so darned cold out today !
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2010   #41
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

We hit 96 deg F. today on the fence line. Ami
Old July 10, 2010   #42
Fred in Maine
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmah! View Post
Perhaps this is an ignorant question, but how can people be without AC just because the houses were built without any form of cooling? One can buy a window unit for as cheaply as $90?
Timmah, I am in Maine and it took me 35 years to finally break down and buy a window air conditioner. It simply doesn't get hot enough here that people need A/C. This time of year my temps are typically in the mid to high 70s by day and mid to high 50s at night.

I'm dang glad I have my window A/C for this heat wave. Normally the ocean breeze cools things off when it is hot. But lately the ocean breeze has had that hot asphalt feel to it.
Fred in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2010   #43
Timmah!
Tomatovillian™

I see what you mean; I remember visiting my friend in the Chautauqua area of NY state. It was dead heat of summer here in KY, but a nice 74ish up there. Quite refreshing compared to the wilting heat the farther south you go.
Timmah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2010   #44
ubergoober
Tomatovillian™

and we are back up to 100F now with the humidity factored in. My poor plants. I watered this morning and they are wilting already at 5:30pm
ubergoober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2010   #45
hasshoes
Tomatovillian™

Timmah- we have side sliding windows here. . . which suuuuuuuck!!! :0) The only AC's you can put in them are the "portable" kind, which pump air through a small tube and do almost nothing in regards to their cost or BTU. We have a $500 one in our living room, and well, um, it's nice if it's 70 degrees out :0). . . otherwise it's just an expensive, low speed fan. :0)