Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 6, 2010   #16
Timmah!
Tomatovillian™

Lol. It's a head-mounted led flashlight/hiking light:
Timmah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2010   #17
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

Good thinking, now you can see where you're going when there's a brown out ;-) I guess the helmet that holds the two jars of white lightning went into retirement?
dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2010   #18
Timmah!
Tomatovillian™

More importantly, I can dig 20 of these through the clay & kaolinite layers without passing out:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 175_0486.JPG (182.0 KB, 35 views)
Old July 6, 2010   #19
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

You dug 20 36" postholes in that tuff stuff...no power auger? I suppose you use dynamite for the shallower tomato transplant holes ;-)
Old July 6, 2010   #20
Timmah!
Tomatovillian™

About 14 dug; would've rented an auger had it occured to me before I got 1/2 way through. In retrospect, I'd try some tnt if it weren't for those pesky explosive laws.
Old July 6, 2010   #21
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Just think now is the time to buy your winter fur coats I have a big sale going on right now.

Here is just one of the samples I have to offer.
Lady not included.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2010   #22
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

I didn't know you were selling fur coats now. I thought you were still selling tailor fit ermine thongs;-)

Last edited by dustdevil; July 6, 2010 at 10:37 PM.
Old July 6, 2010   #23
Timmah!
Tomatovillian™

Ok, I don't wanna see a picture of that; @ least not if Worth is the model.
Old July 6, 2010   #24
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmah! View Post
Ok, I don't wanna see a picture of that; @ least not if Worth is the model.
I do wear thongs, on my feet.
I tell all of the guys at work I wear a thong just to creep them out.
"You wanna see my new thong?" "Aw ^&*% no!!!!!!"
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2010   #25
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

it's been wicked hot here since saturday, today it was 101 but here at my place it was just a cool 98 or was it 99? either way it was hot. on the plus side i have not had to mow the lawn for almost 2 weeks vs every 5 days so that's good.

i don't want rain - let's keep those plants DRY and the air warm to inhibit late blight. fwiw i seldom water my tomatoes that in the ground, of course containers are a totally different situation. only if we have no rain for 14 days with temps 85+ do i water tomato plants but this is the 2nd time in 7 days i have watered my tomato plants but it's been hot enough to warrant it. i do it early in the morning and they are mulched with straw so that helps to retain the water a bit. over watering is a sure way to get BER iirc?

now the rest of the garden is wilting and i am spending 40-60 minutes every day watering everything else! but if it means no LB then i'll spend the time and sweat a quart of perspiration every day.
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2010   #26
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

We are back at it after a delightful array of relatively cool, low humidity days in Raleigh (Thurs through Saturday were spectacular, Sunday and Monday hot but bearable)....today, 101, tomorrow, 102....humidity returning. Amazing to see my plants really starting to struggle with diseases of various types - fingers crossed I got some fruit to set during the cooler days.

Going to hate to see the water bill when it comes in! (as well as the electric bill...AC units running constantly, it seems)
Old July 7, 2010   #27
GoodDog
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by g8shot1 View Post
It was definately hot here yetsterday. The jalapenos seem to be loving it. I'm watering the tom-patch once in the morning and keeping an eye on it. It looks like things will get back under the 90's in the daytime on Thursday.

I wish some of ours were ripening but nothing yet. Lots of big fruit but nothing close to turning that I can find.
Ditto on the jalapenos. They are going crazy here. They are coming up on being 4 feet tall and loaded with peppers. I am watering my containers a little in the morning and again after the sun ducks behind the hill. Because of the ultra low humidity the last few days I am also misting the plants during the day to keep the blosoms sticky so they take. Hey you're not to far from me.. So far so good.
GoodDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2010   #28
rsg2001
Tomatovillian™

Mary, so far our heat has been dry in NYC, though it's supposed to get a bit humid on Saturday. I am seeing all sorts of little disease things coming up. I posted separately on a problem with my Cherokee Purple in another string in this forum. Am seeing some leaf yellowing mainly on bottom leaves. And my Eva Purple Ball in the self watering container just got its 4th BER tomato, most certainly because I have to keep refilling the reservoir of the container as it evaporates every night. Maybe I'll start every other night until the weather cools.
rsg2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2010   #29
svalli
Tomatovillian™

I know 80F is nothing for most of you guys, but for us here it is hot. It has been like that few days now and my tomatoes love it. Next week it may go over 90F, which is extreme here. I can not believe that it gets so hot and sunny, when my four weeks summer vacation starts.
Old July 8, 2010   #30
ubergoober
Tomatovillian™

Still hotter than hades out here too. With the humidity, it went up to 108F today.

Issues with BER as well. Pulled my 4th off my Pruden's Purple today and I think my Costoluto Genovese is also starting to show some signs.
ubergoober is offline   Reply With Quote