Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 5, 2010   #1
rsg2001
Tomatovillian™

Default Feelin' Hot, Hot, Hot...

So far the Northeast heat wave hasn't had a negative impact on my tomato patch, but I'm a bit worried with temps soaring to around 100 for most of this week, and no respite via thunderstorms till Wednes or Thurs, and the weatherpeople said that it'll be isolated showers. Any words of wisdom to share?

To me, watering advice goes out the window when temps soar like this. I'm watering in the morning, and also toward end of day since the ground is parched. And of course the self-watering containers have to be replenished pretty much daily because the plants are now all very tall and fruiting.
rsg2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2010   #2
Duh_Vinci
Tomatovillian™

I hear you!

Looked at thermometer in the shade of the garden 105F... As for rain - just chances so far, 30%. Haven't had a drop of rain for 3 weeks now! The following week should ease off a little - can't wait!

Regards,
D
Duh_Vinci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2010   #3
cottonpicker
Tomatovillian™

100° at the Philadelphia airport today when I was there picking up a friend.
LarryD
Old July 5, 2010   #4
Timmah!
Tomatovillian™

Crazy weather! I'm grateful for the brief respite we had with 4 days or so in the low to mid eighties; it gave my plants the opportunity to double their fruit set before temperatures in the mid nineties resumed. Frustrating to watch all these awesome trusses bloom & then just drop off.
Timmah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2010   #5
ubergoober
Tomatovillian™

I am scared too. We hit 111F with the humidity today. We are looking mighty droopy right now out there. I am going to water before I go to bed tonight and see how they look in the morning. I hope I don't lose too many blossoms in this heat!
ubergoober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2010   #6
maryserv
Tomatovillian™

Do y'all have drip lines that can be used and covered with mulch so the water doesn't evaporate when you water during the day? Down here we usually water in the AM so all foliage dries before nightfall. This year I used drip lines under oak leaf mulch which helped save the water from evap. I worked hard not to wet foliage since I have so many non-resistant varieties.

Is your high heat humid or dry? That would affect weather it matter if the foliage got wet and the rate of evap during watering.
maryserv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2010   #7
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Better you guys than us folks here in Texas we had our turn last year.
We lost a LOT of trees.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2010   #8
bohica
Tomatovillian™

94 on sat, 96 on Sun, 98 yesterday, today calling for 105!, 98 tomorrow and on and on...over night temps ranging from 68-72....it was like a blast furnace yesterday, watering twice daily in my containers, my big garden is getting 5 mins every hr from 8-11, from noon until 3 10 mins an hr through my irrigation, thank goodness for auto timers!
The Tomatoes and peppers are holding up fine, my competetive fruit are putting on approx 30 lbs a day.
bohica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2010   #9
kath
Tomatovillian™

I'm hearin' ya, too! We had 100 Sun, 103 yesterday, and they're predicting the same ridiculousness today. It seems to be ripening tomatoes overnight, though, and giving me tomatoes earlier than ever before, so I dare not complain!
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2010   #10
g8shot1
Tomatovillian™

Default Same here

It was definately hot here yetsterday. The jalapenos seem to be loving it. I'm watering the tom-patch once in the morning and keeping an eye on it. It looks like things will get back under the 90's in the daytime on Thursday.

I wish some of ours were ripening but nothing yet. Lots of big fruit but nothing close to turning that I can find.
Old July 6, 2010   #11
shlacm
Tomatovillian™

UGH!!! "near record highs" tomorrow!!! With a "chance of scattered thunderstorms" on Saturday!!!
shlacm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2010   #12
Alberta
Tomatovillian™

This heat is kicking our butts in NY, I don't have any A/C either, but thankfully do have an above ground pool that I keep adding cold water from the hose to keep it cool. Been watering early morning or early evening, just to keep everything from fainting, but they are still fainting mid-day to 4 pm. Ugh, hope its over soon, but no rain in the forecast at all.

Alberta
Alberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2010   #13
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

I was listening to NPR this morning and a doctor said you should drink a cup of liquid every 15 minutes if you're out in the 100 degree heat.
dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2010   #14
Timmah!
Tomatovillian™

I believe it; it's been so hot, I got one of these for my gardening excursions:

Last edited by Timmah!; July 6, 2010 at 04:11 PM.
Timmah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2010   #15
pete
Tomatovillian™

A pool ball on your forehead???

A real pool would work a little better ! LOL

What is that thing???
pete is offline   Reply With Quote