Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 16, 2018   #1
isuhunter
Tomatovillian™

Default Help recommending best all around tomato to coworker

Hi friends.

A coworker thinks I'm crazy with all sorts of different hybrids of tomatoes. He wants "the best all around" tomato.

What should I start for him?
isuhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2018   #2
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Sungold

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2018   #3
Koala Doug
Tomatovillian™

'Best' is 100% subjective, so only your coworker can make that determination. And that depends on what qualities he/she values (size, color, DTM, yield, plant size, etc.). Beyond that, taste is another ball of wax as everyone perceives it differently - and only part of that is sweetness and acidity.

If you're looking for something that is most likely to impress your coworker, then I suggest something like 'Red Brandywine'. It has a decent yield and most people consider it's taste to be very good.
Koala Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2018   #4
sirtanon
Tomatovillian™

This depends on MANY different factors..

Do you prefer large-fruited or cherry/grape tomatoes?
Do you prefer red, pink, purple, black, orange, yellow, etc.. colored tomatoes?
Do you have a long growing season or short?
Do you prefer your tomatoes sweeter or more tart?
Do you grow in the ground or in containers?
Do you have room for big plants, or do they need to stay more compact?
etc...

If he's just looking for an easy-to-grow, tasty, productive big tomato, then Big Beef is always a good place to start. If he likes cherry tomatoes, then Sungold and Super Sweet 100 are both good, easy-to-find varieties..

.. but again, there are so many factors..
Old March 16, 2018   #5
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

Box car Willie.
Nice slicer, nice flavor.
Prolific, never splits, first tomato of the season and last tomatoe of the season.
Manageable size plant.
SQWIBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2018   #6
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Big Beef & Sungold, depending on what they want. "Best all around" can mean many things, but the good qualities of BB & SG make them good candidates. If they just want best taste, go for Sungold. Otherwise, go with BB.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2018   #7
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Box Car Willie or Stump of the World. Good looking, round regular tomatoes with good production and taste. For me, the best all arounds are not hybrids. If you only grow or recommend hybrids, probably Big Beef, but just doesn't compete with the best heirlooms for taste in my garden.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2018   #8
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Personally I think any of the heart varieties are "best all round". They are big enough to be slicers for that tomato sandwich and not so juicy that the sandwich falls apart. Because they aren't so juicy and have few seeds they are great for making sauce. And great to chunk up for fresh salsa. And they tend to be a bit sweeter than many other varieties.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2018   #9
skelly
Tomatovillian™

My #1 choice for Hybrid (Regular size) tomato is Super Fantastic - Productive & tasty.
For favorite Hybrid Cherry tomato my preference is SunSugar - Most here seem to suggest SunGold but my side-by-side comparative experiment last year made my preference SunSugar due to less cracking & a bit sweeter. Admittedly, SunGold did mature a few days earlier and was a smidge larger.

However, for "best taste" I have to go for Open Pollinated (Heritage) varieties such as Paul Robson, Cherokee Purple & Black Krim, but yield is sometimes a disappointment.
skelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2018   #10
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelly View Post
My #1 choice for Hybrid (Regular size) tomato is Super Fantastic - Productive & tasty.
For favorite Hybrid Cherry tomato my preference is SunSugar - Most here seem to suggest SunGold but my side-by-side comparative experiment last year made my preference SunSugar due to less cracking & a bit sweeter. Admittedly, SunGold did mature a few days earlier and was a smidge larger.

However, for "best taste" I have to go for Open Pollinated (Heritage) varieties such as Paul Robson, Cherokee Purple & Black Krim, but yield is sometimes a disappointment.
Black maters can put the newbies off . Best to ease into it after they have tried some good red/pink heirlooms first......

I'm trying SunSugar for the first time this year .

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2018   #11
skelly
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradors2 View Post
Black maters can put the newbies off . Best to ease into it after they have tried some good red/pink heirlooms first......

I'm trying SunSugar for the first time this year .

Linda
Good point Linda, so how about Mortgage Lifter for a Red Heritage? Have grown Radiator Charlie's strain in past years and am adding Estler's Strain this year just to compare the two.
skelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2018   #12
halleone
Tomatovillian™

I wouldn't want to be without Stump of the World. Remy put me onto it in her online catalog years ago, calling it one of her favorites, and I agree completely. For my taste, it just doesn't get any better. And Black and Red Boar Heart is the second that is always included every season.
halleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2018   #13
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Does he grow any tomatoes himself? If not, then assuming you're giving him the plant to grow out, I would make sure you find something that matures early given your location.

If he's not already a tomato grower, he'll really think you're crazy if you get him to spend all that time nurturing a plant that only ripens a few tomatoes before frost kills it.

I've only grown one hybrid, a cherry, so I won't be of much help if that's what your looking for. If you want to wow him with an OP, one that has always been productive and on the somewhat early side for me is Dester.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2018   #14
Goodloe
Tomatovillian™

I would imagine that you will get about as many suggestions as you get people seeing this thread!

I vote with the Big Beef crowd. It has always produced very well for me downheah. Very good flavor, and it holds up well in the heat and humidity.

Good luck!
jon

~Jon~ Downheah, Mississippi
Goodloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2018   #15
Koala Doug
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
Dester
That is certainly one great tomato! And it's also one that not many people have grown.

Koala Doug is offline   Reply With Quote