Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 29, 2007   #1
Adenn1
Tomatovillian™

Default Trench or Deep Hole

Several of my plants in 16 ounce cups are getting big now...a foot tall and growing. I plan to take of the first sets of true leaves and either bury the plants in a deep hole or lay them down and use the trench method.

Is one method better than the other?
Old April 29, 2007   #2
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

Adenn1 -

I usually dig a long deep trench ... Not sure which is better
Had to trench all tomatoes last year: my seedlings were 8inches+ tall !
Was a nightmare ~ this year they will be a perfect 5-6inch stocky plant ... Actaully ? I'll still trench em ~ lol

~ Tom

ps. we're getting close !!!
Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2007   #3
Adenn1
Tomatovillian™

Yep Tom, we are getting close. I'm leaving soon to get some potting soil for my container toms...they will be planted tomorrow.

I may try both methods...plant half in deep holes and trench the rest and see how it works out.
Old April 29, 2007   #4
Dunkel
Tomatovillian™

I have an old gardening friend (82 no offense to those older) in a nearby town that trenches all of his plants in. I asked him why and his answer made a great deal of sense to me. "If you trench them say 4" deep and say 6" long, you have a 10" length of roots no deeper than 4". When it gets dry the water you give them is easier for them to get and any rain has a better chance of helping than if the rootball is 10" deep." I have trenched ever since and I mulch with straw. That way weeds don't grow and I don't risk hurting the roots on or near the surface during cultivation (which is eliminated).

What the country needs is dirtier fingernails and cleaner minds. - Will Rogers
Dunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2007   #5
elkwc36
Tomatovillian™

I'm not sure it makes much difference. I use holes. For me they work great. The holes serves as a partial windbreak when smaller and then I fill it in and they root all along the stem. Also add manure along with the soil and some rotted hay as I fill them. This works well for me but I would hesitate to say one was better than the other. In my climate this has worked for me and my dear Mother who taught me the method for well over 60 years. Also when I stick cages in the ground don't have to worry about how I laid the stem in a ditch. JMO. Jay
elkwc36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2007   #6
NCTIM
Tomatovillian™

I have heavy soil that retains moisture so I trench. My uncle has sandy soil and it drys out quickly so he plants in a deep hole.

Tim
Old April 29, 2007   #7
Gimme3
Tomatovillian™

Adenn...the answer to yo question....lies entirely...in yo own grasp. It ALL depends...on what kinda drainage you have there. if you growin at the bottom of a slope, an u plant in a deep hole, if heavy rains come, they will flood the holes. if u have a dry season, a deep hole will prove to be a help...but a tilthy raised bed, mulched heavily...will outdo a deep hole, 9 seasons out of 10...its a drought year..that a deep hole will prove of great benefit, coupled w/a individual scarcity of water resources. Either way, allows for greator root ability, but a deep hole can back-fire on ya, in a wet season, whereas a raised bed an a plant laid horizontal in it, caint screw up , hardly.

Good Luck w/em...)))
Old April 29, 2007   #8
elkwc36
Tomatovillian™

Tim,
I'm in the same boat as your uncle. Where my garden is the sand is up to 50' deep. So water don't stay in the hole long enough to hurt anything. Our average rainfall is 14". And that is another factor. We do get some big downpours. Had 6" in less than an hour 3 years ago. It was temporalily flooded but the water drained quick enough it didn't hurt anything. A person's individual situation determines what is best for them. I've found what is best for me may not be for someone 5 miles away in different soil. I always suggest a person try several methods and determine what is best for them. Jay
elkwc36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2007   #9
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

I was always afraid of breaking the plants if I put them in a trench and raised the top of the plant back up. Seems you would need tall, and almost leggy, seedlings to try this method. Seems stocky trucks would break.

I can see from the posts here that a lot depends on your situation. Each seems to have a good place. For here I just set them deep in the hole.

Don
Old April 30, 2007   #10
epatton
Tomatovillian™

One of my tomato friends and I have this discussion every year. She trenches and I dig a hole. We both live in the mid south and I read that in the south digging a deep hole works better because the closer to the surface the roots are the warmer the soil and in the south the soil temp gets too warm.
Well this year I'm settling things as I set one of my 9 rows aside to trench and made sure that each type of plant trenched also had one set in a hole.

Honestly I don't expect much difference but it's fun arguing about it anyway.
epatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2007   #11
Gimme3
Tomatovillian™

Epatton..u raise a good Point...)))...but be fair...now....Mulch those trench-planted youngsters....HEAVILY..after they get goin...to be able to tell a truth...))) U are very correct about consistent soil temps as well as moisture...an a shallow-planted tomato without mulch...is....out there on a limb...Swingin...)))

I dig holes...to create Tilth...Big Holes...dug within...a raised bed..i plant fairly deep, but the beds are so high...i aint worried about a flood,...an on high ground that drains well...i dig an plant em a lot deeper.

A raised bed offers the insurance against flood, but it Always needs...good mulchin. It all depends...on the particulars...of a spot...to answer this question....as well as Elk pointed out...the nature of the Soil.

I enjoy engagin in the topic, it aint no argument, jus different Points of View an Experiences...)))
Old April 30, 2007   #12
Chapinz8
Tomatovillian™

Just based on my own experience, if you have good relatively loose soil, I think the hole method is better. It will work much better in periods of low water. If soil is heavy, trench if you need to. I like tall plants to set out, 12" to even 18" is OK if you have loose soil. With that size you have to go deep!
Chapinz8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2007   #13
garnetmoth
Tomatovillian™

Epatton- hiya neighbor! welcome aboard

im such a clutz that holes are better for me. Im afraid id cut or break trenched plants. I can see using it if youve got leggy plants. or are driving stakes where your plant sticks up.

Our raised beds arent super deep, but the soil lower is definately more moist.
garnetmoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2007   #14
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

To me - a VERY DEEP HOLE & the "trenching method" would really achieve the same goal: covering a large portion of the stem for roots to grow on -

Right ?

~ Tom
Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2007   #15
epatton
Tomatovillian™

Hiya back garnetmoth. We are more neighbors than you think. I'm in Lavergne. Good to see someone that close is on this board. What's your plan for this year?

Me:
Deep Hole except for 1 row that is trenched.
Florida Weave for the first time.

ALICE ROOSEVELT - New
ANGELO’S RED - New
ANDREW RAHART’S JUMBO RED - New
AUNT GINNY’S PURPLE - 2nd year
AUNT GERTIE’S GOLD - 2nd year
BARNE’S MOUNTAIN YELLOW - 2nd year
BLACK FROM TULA - Staple
BRANDYWINE - Staple
CHEROKEE PURPLE - Staple
CHIANTI ROSE - New
CHURCH - 2nd year