Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old February 22, 2016   #1
jhamilton1208
Tomatovillian™

Default Hot sweet pepper

Is there a pepper that has a sweet taste, but is hot? Like a sugary sweet flavor with a kick? Or does this go against everything pepper?

Just kind of a random question. I made cowboy bites I think they're called - sweet pickled Jalapenos - and I love them, which just made me wonder.

Thanks.
jhamilton1208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2016   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhamilton1208 View Post
Is there a pepper that has a sweet taste, but is hot? Like a sugary sweet flavor with a kick? Or does this go against everything pepper?

Just kind of a random question. I made cowboy bites I think they're called - sweet pickled Jalapenos - and I love them, which just made me wonder.

Thanks.
The two I can think of that have sort of a sweet fruity taste is rocoto and manzano.

Plus if you let even the jalapenos get red they have a better flavor and sugar content.
The best peppers are ripe peppers.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2016   #3
guruofgardens
Tomatovillian™

We all love Cowboy Candy and I usually make 2 different batches - one with only green jalapeños and the other with red and green jalapeños with a few slices of bhut jolokia in every jar.

It's much easier and less expensive to make the Candy this way, for me anyway.
guruofgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2016   #4
mmm123
Tomatovillian™

Default cowhorn

My sister brought down some pepper she called a cowhorn. It was 4-6 inches red and about an inch in diameter. She put the peppers in the fridge and I was worried the seeds might not germinate. In 2-3 days they popped. I was germinating seeds from 5 different peppers and they were the fastest to germinate. They are also growing faster then my other hot peppers so far. I just bumped one up to a 10 gallon pot this week. It's about 6 inches. Anyway I ate a couple dozen of the peppers and they are very sweet with a little bit of late heat. Very good pepper. My sister said the plants get 4 feet and produce heavy? I end up drying allot of superhots and make powder. Eventually I want to dry the cowhorn and add to the superhot powder for the flavor. I have only a few seeds I can spare. PM if interested. My sister said the plants originally came from Lowes and all the label said was cowhorn.
Mike
mmm123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2016   #5
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmm123 View Post
My sister brought down some pepper she called a cowhorn. It was 4-6 inches red and about an inch in diameter. She put the peppers in the fridge and I was worried the seeds might not germinate. In 2-3 days they popped. I was germinating seeds from 5 different peppers and they were the fastest to germinate. They are also growing faster then my other hot peppers so far. I just bumped one up to a 10 gallon pot this week. It's about 6 inches. Anyway I ate a couple dozen of the peppers and they are very sweet with a little bit of late heat. Very good pepper. My sister said the plants get 4 feet and produce heavy? I end up drying allot of superhots and make powder. Eventually I want to dry the cowhorn and add to the superhot powder for the flavor. I have only a few seeds I can spare. PM if interested. My sister said the plants originally came from Lowes and all the label said was cowhorn.
Mike

I bet they are Corno Di Toro.

Worth
Old February 24, 2016   #6
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

The Rheza pepper is hot and very sweet. It is heavily striated though. I have grown
it a few times and again this year if the seeds germinate. Below is the same pepper.

https://youtu.be/KaO5OeGaOYA
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29, 2016   #7
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Folks the original thread starter hasn't logged on in 6 days but I am going to post this information here and yet others places as well.
I cannot express to you how good a fried Manzano pepper is if you cut it in half remove the seeds and fry it until it collapses.
I just did this for the first time with one last night and put it on a hamburger.

Worth
Old February 29, 2016   #8
Darren Abbey
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I cannot express to you how good a fried Manzano pepper is if you cut it in half remove the seeds and fry it until it collapses.
I've gotten the fruit before from a local grocer, but I never figured out what exactly to do with it. This has tipped the balance towards me trying to grow one of these peppers.
Old February 29, 2016   #9
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Abbey View Post
I've gotten the fruit before from a local grocer, but I never figured out what exactly to do with it. This has tipped the balance towards me trying to grow one of these peppers.
I also stuff them with a cool tuna salad or sardine salad made the same way.
And I have stuffed and baked them and made salsa with them too.
Worth
Old February 29, 2016   #10
jhamilton1208
Tomatovillian™

Sorry for not being on, my mom had surgery and I was a bit busy, but I really do appreciate all the responses. Worth, as usual you're a wealth of information. Going to check out the different varieties you all suggested.

Edit: Thanks a bunch, everyone. I love this board.

Last edited by jhamilton1208; February 29, 2016 at 04:35 PM.
Old February 29, 2016   #11
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhamilton1208 View Post
Sorry for not being on, my mom had surgery and I was a bit busy, but I really do appreciate all the responses. Worth, as usual you're a wealth of information. Going to check out the different varieties you all suggested.

Not complaining just worried wish your mother well.
Old February 29, 2016   #12
jhamilton1208
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Not complaining just worried wish your mother well.
Yeah I know. Pet peeve of mine, too. Someone posts something, and never appears again. Thanks for the well wishes. She's doing pretty good for the most part actually, all things considered.

Last edited by jhamilton1208; February 29, 2016 at 04:57 PM.
Old February 29, 2016   #13
swamper
Tomatovillian™

Arledge, an heirloom from Louisiana is my pick for a fruity sweet pepper that has plenty of heat. It has the advantage of ripening quickly to red and standing well on the plant without rotting.
swamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29, 2016   #14
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

My favorite hot sweet pepper is Tiger Tooth. Its got habanero heat with the sweetness of Corno di Toro. Really good.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2016   #15
Gazeofslate
Tomatovillian™

I know this thread is quite old but if you're looking for a balance between sweetness and heat, it doesn't get any better than a piment d'Espelette if you ask me. Due to French law, this pepper cannot be sold under this name if it's grown outside of the Espelette area (AOC, or "controlled designation of origin") so another name for this cultivar is Gorria.
Not as hot as a Jalapeño, but it has a pleasant spiciness to it and a rather unique taste.
Gazeofslate is offline   Reply With Quote