Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 14, 2012   #16
tedln

Talking about finding little jewels in little towns, my wife and I spent a couple of years traveling in an RV after I retired. We spent a couple of nights in a state park in the Big Bend area of Texas. A tiny town near the park had one little grocery store and a small meat counter with pre wrapped meats in the rear. I bought a couple of Rib Eye steaks from the meat counter. The cashier told me their meat is delivered daily by a local butcher. I cooked the steaks over an open wood fire in the park and we enjoyed the best steaks I've ever eaten.

Ted
Old July 14, 2012   #17
tedln

I saw a new twist on a BLT this morning on television. It had the standard heirloom tomatoes, garden lettuce, and good bacon with a little mayonase on a long slice of artisan bread. What made it really different was some smoked salmon over the bacon and pesto, made with pistachios instead of pine nuts; drizzled over the top. It was served open faced as a sandwich/salad combination. While it looked great, there is something very satisfying about holding a thick BLT in your hands and getting some taste of all the components in each bite. I even think the tomato juice running down my hands and dripping onto a napkin is part of the total experience of eating a BLT.

Ted
Old July 14, 2012   #18
PA_Julia
Tomatovillian™

Ted- I'm so sorry about you not having a good meat market.

@ Zabby- Fantastic!!!
See, this is how meat is supposed to be sold!!
I hope you always are able to purchase "the more delicious bacon".

Julia
Old July 14, 2012   #19
marc_groleau
Tomatovillian™

To put little different spin on an old country song... "There are more old tomatoe growers than there are old doctors". The same goes for sausage makers.
marc_groleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2012   #20
VGary
Tomatoville Honoree

Default BLT's and Basil Tomato Salad

I have an abundance of an heirloom Basil which has extra large leaves I am growing this season.
I have made BLT's using the Basil, a bit of lettuce, and the added ingredients normally used.

Another favorite dish is to use lots of my fresh Basil, diced fresh tomatoes lightly salted and a good Parmesan Grated Cheese.
The same ingredients can be used with added Lettuce for a great Salad!
Happy Gardening to us all!
Gary