Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old May 30, 2007   #1
MarthaRN
Tomatovillian™

Default Squash blossoms

Newbie question:
How soon after the squash blossoms open are the squash ready to pick?
Thanks
MarthaRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007   #2
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Hi, Martha. I hope I understand your question correctly. This is how each fruit on a squash plant grows. The plant produces male flowers on long stems. It also produces female flowers and those are the ones with the little squash attached at the back of the flower. Either a bee or you need to get the pollen from the male flower to the female flower for pollination to occur. At that point, the squash begins to grow and you can cut it from the plant whenever you want. You can use little baby squash with the female flower still attached or you can let it grow to up to around six inches long or up to about four inches across for patty pans. If you want to pollinate yourself, you can use a Q Tip and collect some pollen from the inside of the male flower and transfer it to the inside of the female flower--squash sex, basically. There are a few varieties of squash that are still good at around ten inches, but for the most part, smaller is better when it comes to squash, before the seeds get big and the skin gets tough. I hope that's what you were asking. If you want to use the blossoms and batter and fry them, I'd wait until I was pretty sure the squash had been pollinated.
Old May 30, 2007   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

About one week. extrastuffsothemessagewillgothrough
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007   #4
NCTIM
Tomatovillian™

Squash grow fast. That said what's too small today will quickly become too big. Check your squash everyday. I sometimes will see squash in the morning that will be perfect that evening.

Whatever the size you decide you like, remember that it will nearly double in size pretty quick.

Tim
Old May 31, 2007   #5
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

It could be much faster than a week. I've had heavy rains at night and squash has literally doubled in size overnight. In that long winded blurb up there, what I was saying was just seeing a blossom doesn't mean they'll grow. They need to be pollinated to grow to larger sizes. If they're not pollinated, they just shrivel up. Sorry about the birds and the bees talk on squash if that's not what you need.
Old May 31, 2007   #6
MarthaRN
Tomatovillian™

Thank you all for your replys. All of them were very helpful. Looks like we might be having home grown yellow squash this weekend!
MarthaRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2007   #7
Granny
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

You can also pick the extra male blossoms. They are traditionally battered and fried or stuffed in the Southwest - and yummy. Just make sure you get the male blossoms rather than the female squash bearers.
Granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2007   #8
angelique
Tomatovillian™

Another vote for fried MALE squash blossoms. I love to stuff them with a mixture of cream cheese, grated cheese, diced chiles (jalapenos) and garlic and salt and pepper. Yummy.
angelique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2007   #9
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

You know guys and gals, 'I stay out of the recipe section so I wont be tempted to eat some of this stuff.
((((Fried squash blossoms with cream cheese and garlic.))))

Your Killing me.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote