Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old January 22, 2012   #46
bughunter99
Tomatovillian™

Default I love my worm condo

I have this in the basement.

I love the different layers of it and the spigot for instant worm tea.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CJoBEPMCMAI
bughunter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2012   #47
augiedog55
Tomatovillian™

I like that idea. I might have to get one of these..lmao. How many trays did you get with your? How much do the worms cost?
augiedog55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2012   #48
sfmathews
Tomatovillian™

Bughunter, that's the one I have too. I like it because you can harvest castings easily by only feeding the top trays, which in turn cause the worms to crawl up in search of food. Works great!
augiedog, mine came with 5 trays. I got it on CL for $5.00!
sfmathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2012   #49
bughunter99
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedog55 View Post
I like that idea. I might have to get one of these..lmao. How many trays did you get with your? How much do the worms cost?
I have no idea, I got the smaller version with three trays, which works fine. I have no idea how much worms cost. I stole mine from my ten year old's science project.

Stacy
Old January 26, 2012   #50
bughunter99
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfmathews View Post
Bughunter, that's the one I have too. I like it because you can harvest castings easily by only feeding the top trays, which in turn cause the worms to crawl up in search of food. Works great!
augiedog, mine came with 5 trays. I got it on CL for $5.00!

Yep, though my worms are rather dumb and don't always go to the tray they are supposed to. Sometimes they will hang in the tray with used up food for months! I love the whole set-up because it is very clean and very effective. I have no worries about throwing juicy fruits in there because it just soaks in. I use shredded brown paper bags in mine instead of coconut coir. They love it.

Stacy
Old January 27, 2012   #51
lurley
Tomatovillian™

Mine looks just like the one above on it's black instead of green. $5! What a steal! I have to order new worms this spring tho, I left it outside too long before bringing it in and they froze. Oh well, chickens still liked to eat them so they didnt go to waste
lurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2012   #52
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

I have a worm bin, too but I generally don't use the vermicompost for gardening. I use the bin (and food scraps) to feed the worms and then I collect the worms and add them to the raised beds.
chancethegardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2012   #53
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

A small business in Dallas called Texas Worm Ranch comes to my local farmer's market. (www.txwormranch.com) They offer castings, worms, to fully setting up beds for you. Most interesting to me is Worm Wine that they soak castings in water, add molasses and bottle it up to use in your sprayer. It is supposed to act as both a foliar feeding as well as being a strong anti fungal natural spray. The only down side is it needs to be used within 48 hours of purchase as it is an aerobic "tea." I can't wait to add it to the arsenal of more nature friendly tools.

A story in a local organic publication said that her tomato plants are strong, big, healthy and keep producing in the heat, while folks in the neighboring plots plants had succumbed to disease and heat. She uses castings in her bed and regularly sprays with the worm wine. This also works on all other vegetables and plants they say. I plan to check this out on my tomato plants this year. If it lives up to the hype, we could really be onto something.

Dewayne Mater

Last edited by Dewayne mater; January 28, 2012 at 01:03 PM. Reason: correcting typos
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2012   #54
sfmathews
Tomatovillian™

Hey Dewayne, that's who I got my worms from. Her name is Heather Rinaldi. She's near the Lake Highlands area. Great resource for us local growers.
Susan
sfmathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2012   #55
lurley
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by chancethegardener View Post
I have a worm bin, too but I generally don't use the vermicompost for gardening. I use the bin (and food scraps) to feed the worms and then I collect the worms and add them to the raised beds.
Red wigglers won't survive in soil, they like the area on top of the soil and below the mulch or leaf litter. Up here they would just freeze altogether. Regular earthworms dont like to be in the composter, they will escape if they can, they like being in the ground. You live in Florida so I think I'd be using the reds for fishing bait, they wiggle wonderfully, maybe that's where they got their name? and they don't die straight away in the water like nightcrawlers do, a very nice feature.
lurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2012   #56
z_willus_d
Tomatovillian™

I don't have much to add to this fine thread, but I thought I'd chime in to report that I've been indulging a worm-culture now nigh on two years. It's very satisfying to see the 360-degrees cycle of seed to garden to produce to consumption to waste (not human) to worm decomposition to garden to seed... you get the picture. I find that the more little things that are natural in this world I can get working for me while I'm busy doing other things, well, perhaps the more like a god I feel; or something fulfilling along those lines.

As far as pests, I made the mistake early on of throwing a bag full of rotting apples from my parents backyard directly into the bins. Before that blunder, I had pure wormage (w/ the microorganisms, etc.). After, I picked up all manner of nasties (not all so detrimental to the composting, but nasty to me all the same. Things like: BSFs (black solder flies), fruit flies of varies sorts, pillbugs, other random maggots. The BSF's quickly took over, which causes a huge increase in the moisture content of the bin. This seemed to cause a more anaerobic environment, so things started to stink. Where before it was sweet smells humus earth, I had then the sweet unearthly smells of death. I spent a lot of inhuman hours picking out maggots daily, which was a truly Sisyphean task if ever there was. Ultimately, I managed to get rid of them using a mixture of hand-picking and application of a beneficial microorganism product called Scanmask -- nematode warfare. This also had the effect of greatly reducing my fruit fly infestation (though not completely).

After I got the bin somewhat manageable (and rid of every last BSF), I wrapped it in a mosquito net and closely garden all comings and goings. I found that freezing all waste material was both good in the summer to lower the escalating-high temperatures in the bin as well as ensure no more fruit fly eggs were introduced externally. The freezing also expedites the decomposition process, as the cell walls of most material will breakdown. You can also puree the frozen contents in a blender, which will help the worms access the foodstuff faster. They can't eat large items directly.

I recently moved and in the process through away the mosquito net. At the time of the move, temperatures were lower in the garage (where I keep the bin, though this was not always so...my wife could tolerate only so long a fruit-fly factory in the home), and the bin population was reasonably under control. I got slack and as temps have risen in the garage with the winter garden and the addition of a space heater, I've found an increase in fruit flies and gnats. Not good at all, as they happily make the transition over to my garden area after birthing in the worm bin. So, last night I administered another application of Scanmask to both bin and InnTainers, as well as additional inches of pepper confetti, though I've found this does little good after the flies have set in. I'm hopping my nematodes are still in fighting order after about a year in the refrigerator.

And so the cycle goes on.
-naysen
z_willus_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2012   #57
bughunter99
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by z_willus_d View Post
I don't have much to add to this fine thread, but I thought I'd chime in to report that I've been indulging a worm-culture now nigh on two years. It's very satisfying to see the 360-degrees cycle of seed to garden to produce to consumption to waste (not human) to worm decomposition to garden to seed... you get the picture. I find that the more little things that are natural in this world I can get working for me while I'm busy doing other things, well, perhaps the more like a god I feel; or something fulfilling along those lines.

As far as pests, I made the mistake early on of throwing a bag full of rotting apples from my parents backyard directly into the bins. Before that blunder, I had pure wormage (w/ the microorganisms, etc.). After, I picked up all manner of nasties (not all so detrimental to the composting, but nasty to me all the same. Things like: BSFs (black solder flies), fruit flies of varies sorts, pillbugs, other random maggots. The BSF's quickly took over, which causes a huge increase in the moisture content of the bin. This seemed to cause a more anaerobic environment, so things started to stink. Where before it was sweet smells humus earth, I had then the sweet unearthly smells of death. I spent a lot of inhuman hours picking out maggots daily, which was a truly Sisyphean task if ever there was. Ultimately, I managed to get rid of them using a mixture of hand-picking and application of a beneficial microorganism product called Scanmask -- nematode warfare. This also had the effect of greatly reducing my fruit fly infestation (though not completely).

After I got the bin somewhat manageable (and rid of every last BSF), I wrapped it in a mosquito net and closely garden all comings and goings. I found that freezing all waste material was both good in the summer to lower the escalating-high temperatures in the bin as well as ensure no more fruit fly eggs were introduced externally. The freezing also expedites the decomposition process, as the cell walls of most material will breakdown. You can also puree the frozen contents in a blender, which will help the worms access the foodstuff faster. They can't eat large items directly.

I recently moved and in the process through away the mosquito net. At the time of the move, temperatures were lower in the garage (where I keep the bin, though this was not always so...my wife could tolerate only so long a fruit-fly factory in the home), and the bin population was reasonably under control. I got slack and as temps have risen in the garage with the winter garden and the addition of a space heater, I've found an increase in fruit flies and gnats. Not good at all, as they happily make the transition over to my garden area after birthing in the worm bin. So, last night I administered another application of Scanmask to both bin and InnTainers, as well as additional inches of pepper confetti, though I've found this does little good after the flies have set in. I'm hopping my nematodes are still in fighting order after about a year in the refrigerator.

And so the cycle goes on.
-naysen

Ugh. Cleaning that up does not sound like a good time. I've not had problems with anything but the occasional fruit fly and I only see those if I have the shredded brown bags not covering any fruit.

My biggest worm related drama was the year I had the brilliant idea of supplementing my seed starting mix with vermicompost. I learned in about three days that 1) my vermicompost contains a whole lot of seeds and 2) worms don't digest seeds.

Vermicompost goes for $30 a bag here. When I add mine to the garden it feels like I'm sprinkling gold around. I even find myself gifting favorite plants with it. I'm a dork like that.

Stacy
Old January 31, 2012   #58
dice
Tomatovillian™

I add my own worm castings to my seed-starting mix, but I learned the
"no tomato or pepper seeds in the worm bin" lesson, too. All tomato and
pepper debris goes to the compost pile, where the heat that builds up
has a chance to de-activate them.

I had some boxes of rotting apples around one year. I buried them in
an outdoor garden and transplanted raspberry plants on top. The
raspberry plants thrived.
Old February 11, 2012   #59
Alpinejs
Tomatovillian™

Location: Alpine, Calif. in winter. Sandpoint Lake, Ont. Canada summers

The rubbermaid system appeals to me and I think I will give it a try. I am still not clear
as to how the castings get separated. Do you just wait till the first bin seems totally
digested and then add the top bin and once the worms move up into it, Voila!, a bin
of castings??? Sounds almost too simple. However, I will be buying the bins tomorrow.
Thanks, all you helpful people. You all are hereby awarded the Tomatoville Medal of Honor.
Alpinejs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2012   #60
Alpinejs
Tomatovillian™

Location: Alpine, Calif. in winter. Sandpoint Lake, Ont. Canada summers

Well, you all convinced me, so I bought 4 rubbermaid bins to make two
units as shown in the link earlier. I bought worms and got a ton of them
by flattering the worm grower. LOL She looked at that Rubbermaid link and
said to follow the intructions to the letter and I should be just fine.

I hope you all will keep this thread going with any suggestions and
positive or negative experiences that you are having in the wonderful world of worms. Folks already thought I was a nutcase due to my severe addiction to
heirloom tomatoes, but when I start talking worms too, all doubts will be
removed. A certified, genuine, 100 per cent nutcase!!

Oh, she said to add eggshells. I can't visualize a worm eating that, but would
like to hear if any of you have had experience withh the eggshells.
Alpinejs is offline   Reply With Quote