Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old February 23, 2012   #1
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Default Be careful of your mulch pile!

Good heavens!

http://www.ctnow.com/news/connecticu...ory?hpt=us_bn4
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2012   #2
dustyrivergarden
Tomatovillian™

that happen more than you know there's been a big mulch pile burning near phoenix for a week now. its happens a lot there just not turning there piles as often as they should...
Old February 23, 2012   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Thats why you dont bail green hay, it burns down barns.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2012   #4
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Many years ago when I was a young woman, I placed a bag of peat up against an old wood fence adjoining my house. Fortunately, one sunny day, I smelled the smoke. Had I not been home it could have been a very bad ending.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2012   #5
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

I really liked this part of the story...

"Turner said the federal government should reimburse the town 75 percent of the expense because Wethersfield is eligible for federal disaster aid in association with the October storm that toppled many trees statewide. ..."

Translation... "Don't let our ignorance trouble you.... "

Ooops.... Am I slipping over the cliff of politics?

George

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure."
Thomas Jefferson, 1787
RebelRidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2012   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelRidin View Post
I really liked this part of the story...

"Turner said the federal government should reimburse the town 75 percent of the expense because Wethersfield is eligible for federal disaster aid in association with the October storm that toppled many trees statewide. ..."

Translation... "Don't let our ignorance trouble you.... "

Ooops.... Am I slipping over the cliff of politics?
No, there is a big difference between the governments idiocy and politics.
We all agree we are being hosed.

Worth
Old February 23, 2012   #7
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
No, there is a big difference between the governments idiocy and politics.
We all agree we are being hosed.

Worth

OK, I'll finish...

"Don't let our ignorance trouble you. Pay no attention to the fact that we are now paying a company (with your tax dollars) that makes money distrubuting and selling mulch to haul away what could have been YOUR mulch so that they can finish composting it properly and sell it back to YOU for a profit. No folks, don't let that trouble you at all...

After all it will net us another $30,000 in federal funds that we won't even have to think about in order to piddle it away right along side your local tax dollars that we already piddle away so effectively."

George

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure."
Thomas Jefferson, 1787
Old February 23, 2012   #8
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Good job George!!!
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2012   #9
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Bravo George.

Worth
Old February 23, 2012   #10
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelRidin View Post
OK, I'll finish...

"Don't let our ignorance trouble you. Pay no attention to the fact that we are now paying a company (with your tax dollars) that makes money distrubuting and selling mulch to haul away what could have been YOUR mulch so that they can finish composting it properly and sell it back to YOU for a profit. No folks, don't let that trouble you at all...

After all it will net us another $30,000 in federal funds that we won't even have to think about in order to piddle it away right along side your local tax dollars that we already piddle away so effectively."

i was thinking the same thing! you know in the overall scheme of things here in ct, this is nothing. i can't discuss anything because it's all politics but the morons that are in hartford (governor and legislature) have been ruining this state for decades. oh new ones come and go and they just get worse, it's a crisis here, we are bankrupt tho you don't hear it on the news yet. waste like this is an every day occurrence and the tax payers, whether state or federal, pick up the tab. no one is ever punished it's just no big deal, the government will pay for it.

it's funny tho, that picture of a front end loader digging though a steaming mulch pile, because today i was out in the sticks driving around and i saw all this smoke and then i saw a bobcat (small loader not the critter) digging in the pile! i knew what it was but initially i thought the steam was from a sap house boiling maple sap to make syrup there was so much steam!

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2012   #11
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Two fires within two years:

http://peabody.patch.com/d/articles/...h-fire-in-2010

I heard that the city is now trying to shut down all mulch operations.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2012   #12
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjg911 View Post
i was thinking the same thing! you know in the overall scheme of things here in ct, this is nothing. i can't discuss anything because it's all politics but the morons that are in hartford (governor and legislature) have been ruining this state for decades. oh new ones come and go and they just get worse, it's a crisis here, we are bankrupt tho you don't hear it on the news yet. waste like this is an every day occurrence and the tax payers, whether state or federal, pick up the tab. no one is ever punished it's just no big deal, the government will pay for it.

tom

I know it is small comfort Tom but I think CT has a lot of company across the US. It concerns me greatly, not so much for myself but for my children. From time to time I think of Jefferson and wonder how many generations will pass before we reach the time of the next great fracture in our nations history and how much sacrifice will be required to steady the path.

The irony of this being in the soil building section just struck me. I'll let this go now. It's not that I would really head off into into politics. I couldn't because I don't believe in it or in any politician, at least none breathing. It is however getting too serious and causing my mood to turn dark. I will however take away a new signature as you will see below...

George

Thomas Jefferson, 1787

Last edited by RebelRidin; February 24, 2012 at 07:21 AM. Reason: Stepping back a bit...
Old February 24, 2012   #13
Petronius_II
Tomatovillian™

I guess I'm just missing something about this story.

Around here, the only problem we have with mulch is finding enough of it. It can, and probably would, go straight from the wood chipper to the gardens. No composting needed or wanted. Ruth Stout was from Connecticut, at least she'd understand. If she were still alive.
Petronius_II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2012   #14
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

Instead of "giving" it to the company taking it away, they should just offer and charge residents the trucking fee and give it back to the folks in the town. Nice of someone to offer to "take it away" for a fee so they can resell it! That stinks.
Old February 24, 2012   #15
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

Green Hay burns barns & mildews inside if it doesn't burn - makes $$$ bales of timothy & alfalfa & even fescue useless for feed.

Hot chips in my walkways are mainstay for weed control - I walk it daily though. Actually getting harder to lay hands on & the Florida betony is most grateful...
stormymater is offline   Reply With Quote