Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 8, 2012   #31
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
I'm pretty sure I have your address so let me just send some to you now, noting that the Post Office is raising the prices of stamps on Jan 1, 2013.

Going up one penny for first class in the US and while it's still 98cents to most places in Europe and 85cents to Canada, they are now going to be selling a stamp for $1.10 which can be used anywhere in the world, but over the oz mentioned, and I didn't note that, still 20cents to be added.

Folks, you heard it here first about the postage increases coming up and I just read about it in the paper this AM.
FYI: Airmail letters to foreign countries was raised to $1.05 from .98 quite some time back. If you are using .98, then your letter is probably taking a slow boat to China
dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2012   #32
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyghost View Post
Carol, Keep us informed about your Dester seed-I was a bit worried about yours
knowing you got an especially early frost-also, it seemed a bit late in my garden.

Thanks for the info about the Rogue Hoes-glad you have some. They have a
large number of styles-it was hard to chose. I was tempted by the onion hoe
but went with the triangle; first choice was a low profile regular type. Next year,
maybe I'll get some hand tools-they looked very appealing, too. Also liked their rakes but we have several common ones. We're moving aged manure from one
of our large bins. It's completely composted but because of all the rain the last
couple of years, it's very compacted. All I can think of is how much easier it'd be
if we had had a couple of those very heavy, very long-tined rakes! Darlene
I think I need to grow Dester next year. ....Funny, I have 2
rogue hoes that I bought last year. A long one, and a short
hand held one. They are very good, and wipe out my weeds
easily.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2012   #33
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustdevil View Post
FYI: Airmail letters to foreign countries was raised to $1.05 from .98 quite some time back. If you are using .98, then your letter is probably taking a slow boat to China
Dust, the article about the postage rates was an AP article in my paper about two weeks ago. And yes, it did say that the 98 cents would remain the same b'c I considered the fact that for me it wouldn't be worth while to get the new $1.10 cent one.

When I'm sending lots of seeds, as I do to Reinhard in Germany, I let Donna , my mail lady, take that padded mailer to the PO and let them weigh it for postage.

I used 98 cents to send to Europe with my last seed offer in Jan and there are many folks from Europe who can tell you that the seeds got there quite quickly. I haven't sent to Europe since last January. The only slow ones recently were those sent to Marina in Russia this past Spring, and it was the same with the ones she sent me last Spring, as was also true with the ones Andrey in Belarus sent.

Those I sent to England, Germany, Slovenia, Wales, you name it, all got there fine.

The major place where seeds can take a detour is to and from Canada, and well I know that and so do they. Neil G ( retiree) can confirm that, unfortunately, but slow to and from Canada is nothing new to me since it's been going on since the early 90's.

Was the AP article wrong? I can always check with my local PO once again, b'c it's time for me to buy stamps again.

Carolyn
Old November 8, 2012   #34
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iva View Post
Carolyn, I do have seeds saved especially for you from both the varieties in question, Istra and Primorski Pacug. I'll be happy to send them to you before the end of the year and trede them for some Dester seeds
Iva, I totally forgot to PM you, so will do this weekend b'c right now I MUST get my WP doc done for my SSE listings and have to do a completely new one since I'm deleting so many varieties and adding back jsut a few new ones.

So stay tuned, as if often said here in the US.
Old November 8, 2012   #35
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper2008 View Post
I think I need to grow Dester next year. ....Funny, I have 2
rogue hoes that I bought last year. A long one, and a short
hand held one. They are very good, and wipe out my weeds
easily.
Where did you get them? I went to the hardware store and they looked at me like I was crazy... they never heard of a rogue hoe.

But i remember back in the day in Indiana using rogue hoes. There is no better tool on the planet!!!! I couldn't even guess how many thousands of acres I walked with one of those hoes in my hand!

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2012   #36
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron View Post
Where did you get them? I went to the hardware store and they looked at me like I was crazy... they never heard of a rogue hoe.

But i remember back in the day in Indiana using rogue hoes. There is no better tool on the planet!!!! I couldn't even guess how many thousands of acres I walked with one of those hoes in my hand!
I ordered them online.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2012   #37
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper2008 View Post
I ordered them online.
Right, but the link here in this thread for "rogue hoes" has many awesome hoes, unfortunately not a rogue (sometimes called de-rogueing) hoe.

I have heard them called rogue hoes, de-rogueing hoes, corn sticks.... many names, but ironically the company Rogue Hoes does not sell rogue hoes.At least to my knowlege

A little history to help you know the tool I am looking for. When breeding hybrid corn for seed, any corn not in the lines you are crossing are called rogues. You can spot these in a field easily as they are generally larger and often a different shade of green. So this tool was invented to go through a large field of seed corn and take out the rogues quickly and easily without disturbing the field. Later you will go through and detassel all but the males. Also useful in taking out stray corn or jimson weeds or any large weed in bean fields. It is straight hoe similar to a scraper but only an inch or two wide. The cutting edge is a concave V and razor sharp.

M like this. You poke it at the base of a stray rogue corn or weed.
l l
l l

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture

Last edited by Redbaron; November 8, 2012 at 10:07 PM.
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2012   #38
dice
Tomatovillian™

Prohoe: http://www.prohoe.com/
Old November 15, 2012   #39
Blk_Vegan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post

But I do agree with kath that it's too bad that Baker Creek decided to use a different name after it already been called Dester when Larry sent it to SSE two years before, and Jere being a listed member and also getting the Public Catalog I assume would have seen that, since two years ago it won 1st place and this past summer came in 2nd in the annual SSE tomato tasting event, so has some staying power.
It appears that there will be uniformity of name for this variety as Baker Creek has updated it's online catalog to reflect the consensus of opinion of what it should be called. So it looks like Dester it is.
Old November 15, 2012   #40
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Every time this thread pops up I've been thinking that it might be a good idea to change the title, if that's possible. It strikes me as odd to have the incorrect name live on forever, especially now that everyone involved has agreed on the official name. I think the same thing everytime someone digs up the thread titled "Siberian Pink Honey" where everyone agreed that the correct name is actually just Pink Honey.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2012   #41
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

I would change the title but editing is only limited with the posts. I believe that Mischka can change the titles, if needed.
chancethegardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2012   #42
barbamWY
Tomatovillian™

I can not find information about maturity of Dester. I am assuming mid to late season since tomatoes are 1 to 1/2 pounds. There is a small picture of the leaf in SSE and I it looks like it is not a potato leaf. Correct me if I am wrong.I could not find the information on Baker Creek either. Ok I am answering my own question that it is 70 to 80 days. That should mature here in Wyoming.

Last edited by barbamWY; November 29, 2012 at 01:12 AM.
barbamWY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2012   #43
greyghost
Tomatovillian™

You're correct on both. Definitely regular leaf. Darlene
greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30, 2012   #44
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

I am growing it right now. It is reg leaf, and vigorous. Just finally transplanted to the container not quite 2 weeks ago, and it was "leggy" because it was allowed to stay too long in the seed starter. It took off right away, doubled in thickness, leaves started to thicken and lengthen and it has gotten several suckers to pinch off too. Pretty impressive growth habit once I let it!
Marsha
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2012   #45
frdlturner
Tomatovillian™

Baker Creeks new catalog came today and they have listed Dester as Dester..
same on their website now...
frdlturner is offline   Reply With Quote