Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old September 5, 2011   #46
Mark0820
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamb Abbey Orchards View Post
Carolyn:

Thanks again for the great info. I'll take your suggestion on the Franchi. I've set aside space for 4 different piriform types, in addition to the Goldman's Italian American (which is doing quite well in my garden this year).

So next Spring, as part of the tomato block, I'll be planting 2 dozen plants of these five piriform tomatoes:
  • Franchi Red Pear
  • Cuneo Giant Pear
  • Liguria
  • Coeur d'Albenga (from a source in France)
  • Goldman's Italian America
I'll probably try additional similar cultivars (like the Abruzzese Red Pear) the following year, but these initial five should allow me to do a basic comparison of piriform-type paste tomatoes. I considered adding the Johnny's Piriform, but I just don't care much for the green-shouldered types.John
Very interesting thread, but what were the results of the grow out of the five piriform tomatoes???
Mark0820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5, 2011   #47
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark0820 View Post
Very interesting thread, but what were the results of the grow out of the five piriform tomatoes???
We never knew b'c Lamb's last visit to Tville was in January of 2010.
Old February 11, 2012   #48
jennifer28
Two-faced Drama Queen

Default Cuore di Bue Albenga

I received some of these seeds (cuore di bue albenga) from my friend in Quebec this year. I am going to be growing them out this season. We will see what shape they are, according to my friend they are supposed to be oxheart shaped. If all goes well I will offer the seeds next year. Hopefully it is a pleasant surprise. I had a hard time finding info out about it...
jennifer28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2012   #49
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

I got a transplant labeled Cour di Albegnia from a local plant sale last year. It was very productive! The first photo is some green ones, which show the shape best.

The rest of the photos show some riper tomatoes. I pick my tomatoes before they're fully ripe to avoid predation, and they ripened to deeper red. I don't have a photo of all the shapes. Only a few were fluted, though they all were bottom heavy (pear shaped). They had a good flavor, but were not as luscious as some of the other ones I grew.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1319.jpg (127.4 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1396.jpg (160.6 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1415.jpg (99.3 KB, 77 views)
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2012   #50
ed50
Tomatovillian™

According to Tatiana's Tomatobase and Ventmarin, Coeur de Boeuf Albenga and Liguria are the same variety.
I have seeds from Liguria that I'm gonna try this year. Will let you know what the results are.

Eddy
ed50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2012   #51
GunnarSK
Tomatovillian™

Some time ago I also tried to research Albenga, because it appears in some of Kozula's crosses. It is sometimes labeled as Cuor di Bue or similar, but it is rather a paste tomato.
Tania of Tatiana's Tomatobase writes:
  • Originally from Liguria, Italy. Albenga is a town in Liguria region, on the seaside, which is well known for its tomatoes.
GunnarSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2012   #52
ed50
Tomatovillian™

Gunnar, is Cuor di Bue not the Italian name for the English word Oxheart and the French coeur de Boeuf? Last year my wife bought a packet of seeds in Italy and on it you find these different languages. Without extra addition of colour it's always red.
But maybe it's not so simple like this with all the different varieties that exist of Oxheart (and also hybrids).

Eddy
Old February 12, 2012   #53
GunnarSK
Tomatovillian™

Default Cuor di Bue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed50 View Post
Gunnar, is Cuor di Bue not the Italian name for the English word Oxheart and the French coeur de Boeuf?
Yes, basically you're right, Eddy. But beside being a generic word in Italian for oxheart, Cuor di Bue is also the name of a variety, which is red as you correctly wrote, and in addition to Italy it's also available in America and eg. Poland.
Old February 12, 2012   #54
ed50
Tomatovillian™

So Gunnar it's not totally the same as when I buy a seed packet with the name 'Red Oxheart' or in France 'Coeur de Boeuf'?
Old February 12, 2012   #55
roamwhereiwant2
Tomatovillian™

Well, I'm dying to know - what were the results of the 2010 piriform mater grow outs?
roamwhereiwant2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2012   #56
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

After you folks have read this thread, I think it should be realized that there are several v arieties, all heart ones, Albenga is one, that are named for geographic place names in both Italy and France.

The same concept as the various Costoluto ones from Italy that are named for place geographic names.

They are NOT the same as Cuor di Bui, or Franchi Red Pear, or Petit Beauf, or Cuor de Toro from Italy, or any other ones even Serdste Buivola, Heart of the Buffalo,etc.

There can be minor differences between these albenga types but essentially all are red hearts, or almost hearts, and most have very ruffled shoulders/

Hope that helps.
Old February 13, 2012   #57
jennifer28
Two-faced Drama Queen

right,

and the one I have is supposed to be the one from near Liguria, but who knows. Soon I'll get to see. I'll post pics here too since I wouldn't know the way it is supposed to look if it bit me in the elbow. If I mess it up somehow and it doesn't work out, oh well! Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
jennifer28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2012   #58
lurley
Tomatovillian™

These are some samples of what I had last year with canestrino de lucca and liguria. I also grew Johnny's piriform which was very similar to the liguria, larger and more fluted than the canestrion de lucca, but this year it looks (is described) different in Johnny's catalog than I remember last year, and I haven't contacted them to find out if it is the same seed variety this year as it was last. I also grew goldman's italian american, but didn't get any fruit that looked like it was supposed to(baker creek), so.... I ordered it from a different seed company that should be correct this time. (sandhill). Hope the photos help folks.
lurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2012   #59
patty_b
Tomatovillian™

I am growing the Cour di Bue from Baker's Creek again this year, but it looks nothing like the previous pic of Cour di Bue. No pleats, just solid heart.... nice tomato!
patty_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2012   #60
GunnarSK
Tomatovillian™

I think Carolyn's message is best to clarify this. So it's a heart, but not a generic oxheart.