Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old August 22, 2011   #1
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

Default heat comments on "long red thick cayenne" vs "long red slim"?

i bought "long red slim" cayenne peppers according to the label but my plants are producing very long and much wider peppers than i ever got from long red slim in prior seasons. in the past long red slim peppers are about 4-6" long and about 1/8" to 3/8" thick at the stem end. they are quite hot! the ones i see out there are 8-10" long and about 1/2" thick at the stem. both types taper to a point and are twisted.

i ate a red one a while ago, seeds and all, and it was hardly hot. i'm thinking these are the "other" long red cayenne pepper called long red thick cayenne.

anyone ever grow long red thick cayenne and could comment on the heat from them?

this is why i like starting things from seed myself. i wanted hot not mild peppers. i have a ton of peppers on these 3 plants but if this is how they'll taste they are a waste of space and $8. fortunately i have a scotch bonnet and a fatalli so HEAT shouldn't be a problem with them! but they may be too hot to eat and i really liked the heat from the cayenne i have grown for a few years. i still have some frozen and eat them all year.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2011   #2
biscgolf
Tomatovillian™

in my experience the thicker cayennes are not as hot but have better flavor... i put them in the smoker and make hot sauce from them primarily...
biscgolf is offline   Reply With Quote