Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old May 14, 2019   #466
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Today was a clear day. I got to see how much sun the plants get now that the trees are full of leaves. The one plant that I thought wouldn't get enough sun - doesn't, so I'll move it tomorrow. It's no surprise to me. It's in a 5 gallon bucket and an easy to move size.

I did something different today. I'll post it on the General thread and share the link here. http://tomatoville.com/showthread.ph...304#post735304

Last edited by AlittleSalt; May 14, 2019 at 01:11 AM.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2019   #467
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

It has quit raining daily. I've been using the 4-18-38... watering/feeding method and the plants are looking perky. I will share some pictures soon.
Old May 22, 2019   #468
Tomzhawaii
Tomatovillian™

Default Progress not perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
It has quit raining daily. I've been using the 4-18-38... watering/feeding method and the plants are looking perky. I will share some pictures soon.
Aloha sir,
I'm glad to see the rain moved on. The challenges will keep us on ours toes sometimes. I keep telling myself that success comes in baby steps.
I changed nutrients this spring. Now I am learning all over again. I can say the lettuce, cabbage and mustard greens are doing very good in the rail system. I've always had issues with my cucumbers peetering out about halfway through. So this time I planted the whole package in one container. My reasoning was that maybe a few would make it. Well they all germinated and are growing like weeds. I wish I could say the same about my tomatoes. 1 Big Cheef and 2 Everglades came out like gangbusters and are now looking like they are "nutrient lockout". Again, babysteps for me.
I do happen to have 1 Mat Su Express and 1 Tennessee Suited doing well as seedlings. Fingers crossed on those. Green Peppers still kicking too.
Aloha for now & keep on pluggin along,
Tom
Tomzhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2019   #469
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Aloha Tom, I thought about this all day, and I agree completely. Baby steps, and sometimes we push on to dinosaur sized steps all in hopes that we get it right.

I thought I had tomato growing in buckets of pro mix sort of understood, but I really didn't. The 4-18-38 - 15.5-0-0 -Epsom Salt is a hydro type thing. I guess, maybe? Who knows? All I do know is the tomato plants look good, and some have small cherry tomatoes on them already. I'm learning.

I did take some dinosaur sized steps this year. I planted peppers in the same pro mix/MG type mix in the containers. Pepper plants and tomato plants need a different amount of water. Pepper plants needing much less water. I have given the tomato plants 4-18-38 - 15.5-0-0 -Epsom Salt for about a week now that the daily rains stopped. I water/feed them with 3/4 gallon of water each day. The pepper plants have gotten a half gallon of water, but by the mix feel - they need a break from the watering/feeding. We have picked peppers 3 times already. So far, the dinosaur steps have worked out. (Comparison: pepper plants do not produce in soil here in May)
Old May 27, 2019   #470
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

3 weeks later after post #454
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01527.JPG (212.5 KB, 105 views)
Old May 27, 2019   #471
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Looks fantastic.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2019   #472
Tomzhawaii
Tomatovillian™

Default Well done !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Looks fantastic.
Aloha Salt,
Your thoughts and planning are about to pay dividends. Go big or stay on the porch. Haha
Tom
Tomzhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2019   #473
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Thank you both
Old May 27, 2019   #474
LK2016
Tomatovillian™

Wow! Love the set up with the T-posts and the tomato cages. Did you say what type of cages they are? Did you make them yourself from fencing? That is a lot of work right there. Looks fantastic!
LK2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2019   #475
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Thank you

Yes, I made them with 2x4 field fencing. They are 6 foot tall from the top of the buckets to the top of the cages. The reason for 2 T posts each cage is that the fencing roll is only 4 foot tall. I will need to cut some holes in it to get to the tomatoes easier.
Old May 27, 2019   #476
LK2016
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the info. It looks great, and the plants look very happy right now.
LK2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2019   #477
SpookyShoe
Tomatovillian™

Your plants look great, Salt. I assume the reason for the containers is nematodes/soil disease. I may do all grow bags/containers next year because each year it's a race for my plants to produce fruit before succumbing to nematodes and fungus. I tried out grow bags this year on two of my plants and they are a lot healthier looking than the plants in the ground. My in-ground plants never seem to have robust root systems.
Old May 28, 2019   #478
whistech
Tomatovillian™

Looks great Robert! Whatever you are doing, keep it up.
Old May 28, 2019   #479
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Thank you again

It's RKN and Fusarium Wilt 3 is why I'm growing in containers.
Old May 29, 2019   #480
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

those look fantastic Robert. well done.