Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating herbs.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 11, 2015   #21
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
Drew, I had cuban oregano last year and it is very citrusy. I am not sure if that is the flavor you want for tex-mex or not. Just remembering how clean and fresh it smelled, I don't think I would try it in tex-mex unless someone told me to. I didn't get mine to winter over, so I am hoping my friend did and will share some with me again.
I mostly want it for chili powder, Cuban and Mexican oregano are different, but it's close. 13 different types of Mexican oregano. So i have a lot to try, see what i like.
I plan to add two Mexican oregano's too to try. I also like them to flavor meats, in marinades and such. The plant is easy to overwinter, so see if I can use it or not.
You could be right, I may not like it.
It is also known to neutralize capsaicin, the compound in peppers that makes them hot. It is recommended to chew on a Cuban oregano leaf to cool the burning caused by food that is too spicy. I want to try and bring out the taste of hot peppers but usually they are just too hot! See if this works to mellow the heat.

http://www.texascooking.com/features...hilepowder.htm

Last edited by drew51; March 11, 2015 at 08:01 PM.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote