Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 6, 2014   #1
momato
Tomatovillian™

Default Ultrasorb vs perlite

Can I use ultrasorb instead of perlite ?
momato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2014   #2
momato
Tomatovillian™

I was thinking about mixing compost with peat moss and ultrasorb has anybody tried this before
Old March 6, 2014   #3
simmran1
Tomatovillian™

hi Momato,

Perlite is tried and proven, but then again I've never substituted and tried it. There is a thread titled 'using diatomaceous earth as a seed starting medium'. Originator RayR.
-Randy
Old March 6, 2014   #4
MissS
Tomatovillian™

I mixed Ultrasorb with my potting mix last year and had good results with my seeds and plants. Are you using it for a potting mix or as a seed starter? I think that I would prefer to use Optisorb in a potting up mix. The particles are larger.
Old March 7, 2014   #5
kevn357
Tomatovillian™

You can mix it all you want, but what is your purpose?
kevn357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2014   #6
momato
Tomatovillian™

I was going to use it I'm my beds and whiskey barrels where do you find optisorb?
Old March 7, 2014   #7
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I'm far from being an expert, but my understanding is that one is meant to add lightness to heavy soils (perlite) while the other (DE) is designed to absorb and hold moisture. So I guess it might depend on what issue you're trying to address. ??
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2014   #8
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by momato View Post
I was going to use it I'm my beds and whiskey barrels where do you find optisorb?
You can find it at Grainger and O'Reilly Auto Parts. As Father'sDaughter asked, what kind of issue are you trying to address? While it will make your soil more porous it will hold moisture as well as air. I think that for most soils that the compost and peat would be adequate, but that the DE will not hurt it.
Patti
Old March 7, 2014   #9
drew51
Tomatovillian™

In the thread about using it as a seed starter are links to various studies, and it appears to be an excellent amendment. The conclusions of three studies said it was beneficial to use. I want to try it this year myself. Often with tomatoes in pots they dry very quickly, this should help the soil retain more moisture, yet keep soil aerated, so no need for perlite. Not to mention adding silicon trace mineral.

Silicon: deposited in cell walls , has been found to improve heat and drought tolerance and increase resistance to insects and fungal infections. Silicon, acting as a beneficial element can help to compensate for toxic levels of manganese, iron, phosphorus and aluminum as well as build a barrier against zinc deficiency . Plants with a regular supply of soluble silicon produce stronger, tougher cell walls creating a barrier from mouth of sucking insects . Tests have also found that silicon can be deposited by the plants at the site of a fungal infection to combat the infection of the attacking fungal disease . Much of the silicon found in the ground is not naturally usable as it is found in solids hard to break down easily however studies have shown that if you give your plant water , that it is just about impossible in most area's of the world to totally deprive your plant of silicon , as even distilled water contains a certain amount, it can however be helpful to add additional silicon to the system for extra benefit

The products with DE like UltraSorb or Optisorb, have some powder, this is where the plant can get silicon.
Use mask when handling!

Last edited by drew51; March 7, 2014 at 09:57 AM.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2014   #10
momato
Tomatovillian™

Thanks everybody I am going to give it a shot I think it should help to retain moister during the hot summers I guess it's a lot like vermiculite
Old March 7, 2014   #11
matilda'skid
Tomatovillian™

I know DE is used in all sorts of products in the home. I have always been afraid of it because something with tiny glass shells that grinds off the exoskeletons of insects can't be good for your lungs. What am I missing?
matilda'skid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2014   #12
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by matilda'skid View Post
I know DE is used in all sorts of products in the home. I have always been afraid of it because something with tiny glass shells that grinds off the exoskeletons of insects can't be good for your lungs. What am I missing?

DE is edible and often suggested for health reasons. Best to eat the food grade.
Yes, the dust isn't good, but either is the dust from perlite, lava rock, pumice, turface or vermiculite.
I wear a mask when using. Once in the soil, no chance of dust. I also wear a mask when handling any of the above mentioned. You could wet it down to minimize exposure.
Gassing your car up exposes you to carcinogens too, so does BBQing. Using plastic cups may also.
Getting X-rays too. Just use common sense. Radiation from your screen is hitting your eyes as you read this.

http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/defaq.html

Last edited by drew51; March 7, 2014 at 11:47 AM.
Old March 7, 2014   #13
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

I recall reading something about DE being bad for worms, so I've avoided adding it to my soil. (Like humans, worms can eat food-grade DE with no problems.)
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2014   #14
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Well you were misinformed

http://www.dirtdoctor.com/Diatomaceous-Earth_vq21.htm

"DE will not hurt earthworms "

Another reference from worm farmers

http://www.wormfarmingrevealed.com/d...ous-earth.html

FYI the DE in absorbant is not effective against bugs, best to use food grade. It's too big! Food grade is like a powder. The stuff for pools is dangerous as it is processed, filter grade. Avoid that, do not use!!
I think it has high silica, which is what is dangerous to breath. I'm pretty sure the absorbant is considered safe to ingest, no treatment would be given. It may very well be food grade? Not sure?

Last edited by drew51; March 7, 2014 at 02:57 PM.
Old March 7, 2014   #15
matilda'skid
Tomatovillian™

I am tempted to use the Ultra sorb and would be careful, but I am cautious. People from my generation used asbestos in their homes on the bottom of hot pads and lead for Christmas decorations. My Dad was on a ship for bomb tests and they hosed off the radiation ha ha. Sometimes the dangers come out later. I'm not being over cautious.

Last edited by matilda'skid; March 7, 2014 at 02:44 PM. Reason: read the links above and found that DE works by drying instead of grinding off and damaging exoskeleton -
matilda'skid is offline   Reply With Quote