Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 2, 2010   #1
recruiterg
Tomatovillian™

Default Hard Frost

A hard frost is forecasted in Minneapolis tonight. I have tons of green fruit on the vines. What should I do?
recruiterg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2, 2010   #2
Bama mater
Tomatovillian™

Cover some plants good with some old blankets, and pick the rest and make pickled green tomatos
Bama mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2, 2010   #3
recruiterg
Tomatovillian™

One other question, will full size (green) tomatoes ripen over time if picked and left in an unheated garage on a table?
Old October 2, 2010   #4
Stepheninky
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by recruiterg View Post
One other question, will full size (green) tomatoes ripen over time if picked and left in an unheated garage on a table?
If they are full size then yes they should, that being said if there is no blush to the fruit yet I have noticed sometimes the texture and flavor is off and that the tomato ripens but stays kinda firm.

Not sure as I have never tried it but You can pull up the whole plant and place in your garage and then just pick them as they ripen. Have heard of that method a lot. I have read somewhere else that you can hang them upside down inside as well but I do not think it matters.

I am guessing its like other stresses that signal the plant to ripen the fruit
Stepheninky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2, 2010   #5
Gobig_or_Gohome_toms
Tomatovillian™

I just picked all of my tomatoes showing any blush and all of the large green ones that looked white on the bottom and left the rest to fend for themselves. Already thinking of next year at this point in the season.

Craig

Last edited by Gobig_or_Gohome_toms; October 2, 2010 at 08:30 PM.
Gobig_or_Gohome_toms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2, 2010   #6
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

I'm with you guys. I picked the large greenies and brought 'em in, since my predicted 29F tonight would freeze/frost damage them if left outside. How many times have you guys heard to never put tomatoes in the fridge?
dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2, 2010   #7
RinTinTin
Tomatovillian™

Another thought...fried green tomatoes taste best after the first frost...a hard frost (and 29F isn't hard), however might damage the fruits beyond use. Water the plants well, as it will freeze first and protect the underlying plant much as an igloo keeps Eskimos warm within. Mulch heavily around the plants to protect the roots, as warmer weather often follows that first frost. Good luck, and hopefully this does not mean a hard winter for you.
RinTinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3, 2010   #8
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Can you use water sprinklers over your plants which i use at the end of the season.
Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3, 2010   #9
recruiterg
Tomatovillian™

Go Big / Craig - sorry to take my own thread off topic, but how did your growing season go? What were your stand outs?
Old October 3, 2010   #10
Gobig_or_Gohome_toms
Tomatovillian™

It went well for the most part BWS and Cowlicks were my favorites this year. The Brandy Boys that ripend later in the season seemed to be very soft not sure if it was due to them falling over and the steams kinking about 6 feet up the plant during one of the storms. We also seemed to have to much rain which caused allot of cracking in my pots. One other standout was Earl of Edgecombe.

How about yours?

Craig
Old October 4, 2010   #11
recruiterg
Tomatovillian™

For me, the Brandywine types - BWS, Stump, Aunt Ginny's Purple, Cowlick's - were the best. I also really liked Prue and Kosovo which were new to me. I had good productivity from Ludmilla's Red Plum. I started two new raised beds this year and the productivity was really low in the new beds. I'll probably work on composting and adding shredded leaves this fall in the hopes of improving the soil. I had a few setbacks this summer. My dad passed away and I had to put my dog, Meg (my avatar), to sleep, so I didn't pay great attention to the garden.
Old October 4, 2010   #12
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by recruiterg View Post
My dad passed away and I had to put my dog, Meg (my avatar), to sleep, so I didn't pay great attention to the garden.
Very sorry for the loss of your dad and your friend Meg. Those events would surely make it hard to concentrate on a garden.

Sherry
Sherry_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4, 2010   #13
Gobig_or_Gohome_toms
Tomatovillian™

Sorry to hear of your losses and can understand how the garden was not tops on your list.

Has that new puppy (well not new now is it a year old now?) of your settled down yet I bet he/she is getting big now.

Craig
Old October 7, 2010   #14
recruiterg
Tomatovillian™

The new pup, Gille, is big now. She is about 9-10 months old and weighs about 55 lbs. She is as rambunctious as they come. I am praying she calms down in the future. Looking forward to hunting season this fall.