Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old February 2, 2011   #16
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeauli View Post

Hubby upset with me because I was bashing Genesee Beer...he is a cream ale guy and gets it every time we are up north. Just getting myself in trouble...lol
You've just got to accept that the Genny Cream Ale is a "guy thing"...

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2011   #17
tbeauli
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnewste View Post
You've just got to accept that the Genny Cream Ale is a "guy thing"...

Raybo

I know Feeling guilty and have to take a trip this weekend to get him some Cream Ale and some Glaziers (north country hot dog) up north this weekend in Malone.
tbeauli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2011   #18
RinTinTin
Tomatovillian™

Just curious, but I didn't see any of your snow peas in the pics. They should also be producing with the weather you are getting so far this year.
RinTinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2011   #19
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Rin,

Here were the Snow Peas yesterday:

They are approaching the tops of their cages now. My plan is to continue harvesting them until March 30 when the Pepper plants will replace them in these two 'Tainers.

Raybo
Old February 2, 2011   #20
RinTinTin
Tomatovillian™

WOW. They look fantastic. Which variety is that?
Break out the wok, I'll be there for dinner! LOL

And out of curiosity, how many pea plants per container?
Old February 2, 2011   #21
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Rin,

They are "Oregon Giant" Snow Peas. I put in about 40 seeds per 'Tainer, and about 30 actually develop into producing vines.

Here's a link to them: http://www.jungseed.com/dp.asp?pID=0...egon+Giant+Pea

Raybo

Last edited by rnewste; February 2, 2011 at 07:46 PM.
Old February 2, 2011   #22
RinTinTin
Tomatovillian™

Thank you. I am quite familiar with them. They are another Dr. Jim Baggett developed variety (Oregon State U). They have always done well for me here in the Seattle weather, but certainly not year-round like you have been able to do!
Old February 2, 2011   #23
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default reply

too true Raybo. Those pictures made my mouth water. I love dark tomatoes and yours are beautiful as usual. I have learned alot from you. Plan on putting out a few tainers this year. Need to modify to your new plans. Got discouraged last year and they never made it out. I have very high hopes for this season and watch out for those pics! Right now I am trying to steal heat from my seedlings LOL.
Kat
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2011   #24
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

kat,

The Fall (Winter) taste profile has been quite interesting. Subjective, but the Goose Creek and Indian Stripe rated about a "7" as compared to their counterpart's "10" reference in the Summer. However, Japanese Black Trifele was every bit as tasty yesterday, as I remember them back in August. Can't rationalize why that is, but that's what I experienced.

Also, JBT was very juicy while Goose Creek and the Indian Stripe had a bit of "texture" somewhat like biting into a ripe watermellon. Hard to accurately describe, but you get the drift.....

Raybo
Old February 3, 2011   #25
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

Raybo - I hope you will track things like in your last post! What is a winter profile taste for you is likely a fall tomato taste for those of us who can go fall. The only ones I've found so far with a very good fall taste are black cherry and Black and Brown Boar. I may have to try the JBT next fall though. As always, I really enjoy all of your cutting edge work on alternate growth means!
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2011   #26
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Well your pictures deffinately cheer me up! Gotta love looking at those pictures when you have several feet+ of snow and chilling winds...Blizzard yesterday..

The sliced tomatoes look so good..I am hungry for a fresh tomato sandwich right now!!
barefootgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2011   #27
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

barefoot,

Thanks for the kind words. I grew up in the Rochester Buffalo area so I know the weather you are now experiencing first hand. Hopefully, the pictures I post will bring a bit of "warmth" to all.

Dewayne,

This Saturday, I will begin to move outside the tomato plants that have been developing in the indoor InnTainers since early December from cuttings of my Fall plants:

I was nicely surprised by how well most of them did indoors.

Next Fall, I will focus on Dwarf types to try and get an indoor harvest during the Winter months. If you have South facing windows, I would encourage you to give it a try.

Raybo