Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old April 4, 2006   #1
snappybob
SETTFest™ Coordinator

Default Aspirin in foliar spray

I was reading yesterday with interest about using aspirin as a foliar spray. Everything I read said to use "non-coated aspirin". Of course all I can find is "micro coated aspirin". Did they stop making regular non coated aspirin?
snappybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2006   #2
Goddessemer6
Tomatovillian™

Have you tried looking for the generic brand or store brand? Usually they aren't coated.

The beauty of being human is the ability to choose compassion over cruelty!
Goddessemer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2006   #3
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

Micro-coated aspirin is fine to use; it's the "enteric" coated ones that are not. (look like orange M&M's)

The micro-coating simply stops the aspirin from dissolving the moment that you put them into your mouth; easier to slide down your throat as you swallow it. All aspirin, even generic, is now micro-coated for this reason. The coating dissolves in seconds upon contact with moisture...hold them for more than a moment in your mouth and you'll find out... :wink:

Enteric-coated aspirin is designed to dissolve much more slowly in your stomach/upper GI tract to prevent stomach upset and to release the drug at a slower rate.

Off topic, but VERY important: if you are on an aspirin regimen for heart/arthritis, enteric-coated is the way to go. BUT, if you are having chest pains and take some aspirin in the hopes of decreasing the severity of a heart attack, do NOT take enteric-coated aspirin for this, unless you CHEW them before swallowing.

You want the benefit of having the aspirin being absorbed into your bloodstream ASAP. Aspirin is a powerful anti-coagulant and keeps red blood cells from sticking (clotting) to each other.

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2013   #4
koda60
Tomatovillian™

Default Goodys

Hi Folks.been reading about dissolving aspirin in water.Could I sub goody or bc powders ? Or are these not aspirin? If how much? Thanks,Denny
koda60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2013   #5
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

I'm going to give this a try this year and see what happens. Ami

http://www.naturesanswer.com/p-930-w...-bark-1oz.aspx
Old June 25, 2013   #6
Logrus9
Tomatovillian™

Looks like BC would be better since it is aspirin and caffeine only.

Goody's Powder is an over-the-counter pain reliever, in powder form, marketed and sold by Prestige Brands. Goody's contains aspirin, caffeine, and acetaminophen, in a formula similar to Excedrin, a product of Novartis. The formulation of "Goody's Extra Strength Headache Powders" is currently 520 mg. aspirin, 260 mg. acetaminophen and 32.5 mg. caffeine, which differs from other similarly powdered products under the same brand name.

BC Powder is an over-the-counter analgesic pain reliever owned by Prestige Brands and manufactured in Memphis, TN. It was conceived at the Five Points Drug Company in Durham, North Carolina, in 1906, by Germain Bernard and C. T. Council, who took the initials of their last names to create the name of the nascent product. Originally produced at the Hepolscheiemer Clinic in Graz, Austria, it contains 845 mg of aspirin and 65 mg of caffeine.
Logrus9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2013   #7
peterc
Tomatovillian™

Ami,
can you recommend a dilution rate for the natures way white willow?
peterc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2013   #8
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

I would say start out at 2ml per gallon of water. I have not had to use mine yet.

Ami
Old August 6, 2013   #9
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Just saw a video about aspirin and tomatoes a few days ago, and decided to try it.. Apparently salicylic acid is a great multi-tasker! Skincare, painkiller, and foliar spray as well... Will do an experiment tomorrow morning.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2013   #10
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

What is salicylic acid supposed to help with exactly? I just happen to have some Weeping Willow cuttings rooting in water. I could take some Willow water and spray my tomatoes with that.

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2013   #11
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Salicylic acid is an important plant hormone involved in plant growth and triggering Systemic Aquired Resistance to pathogens. Plants synthetize it, some more than others, like Willow.

Aspirin is Acetylsalicylic acid, when mixed with water it hydrolyses into acetic and salicylic acids.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2013   #12
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

I have several links on the subject I will post tomorrow on the subject.

Ami