Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for environmentally-friendly alternatives to replace synthetic chemicals and fertilizers.

Old July 20, 2009   #1
SouthCoast
Tomatovillian™

Default Azospirillum and Tomatoes

Very informative stuff. Tomatoes increased growth, fruit yield, and survivability are mentioned.

On page 42, 48, 54, 4, 9, 15, 17, 21.

http://www.bashanfoundation.org/gmaw...llumreview.pdf

Azosprillum works with many of the helper bacteria found in tandjenterprises products in a synergistic way.

Protection of tomato seedlings against infection by Pseudomonas syringae pv tomato using the plant growth-promoting bacterium Azospirillum brasilense

http://www.bashanfoundation.org/gmaw...tiontomato.pdf

Reduction of bacterial speck (Pseudomonas syringae pv tomato) of tomato by combined treatments of plant growth-promoting bacterium, Azospirillum brasilense

http://www.bashanfoundation.org/gmaw...eductionof.pdf

Azospirillum plant growth-promoting strains are non pathogenic on tomato, pepper, cotton, and wheat.

http://www.bashanfoundation.org/gmaw...ospirillum.pdf

And I found this abstract:

(1) Department of Plant Pathology and Microbiology, Faculty of Agriculture, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem,

2-week-old plants inoculated with 5 × 108 Azospirillum cells. Significant increases in root length (35%) and in top (90%) and root (50%) dry weight and total leaf area (90%) were observed in 18-day-old inoculated tomato plants compared with non-inoculated controls. An inoculum concentration of 1 × 108 to 5 × 108 CFU/ml stimulated the appearance of root hairs. Large numbers of bacteria (1 × 109 CFU/ml) caused asymmetrical growth of the root tip. In a petri dish system, Azospirillum (1 × 108 CFU/ml) increased root dry weight (150%), protein content (20%), respiration rate per root (70%) and the specific activity of malate dehydrogenase (45%–65%) over non-inoculated controls. The specific respiration rate, expressed as micromol of O2 per minute per milligram of dry weight of roots, was significantly lower in inoculated roots, suggesting that less energy was spent for accumulation of more dry material.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TOMATO.jpg (253.0 KB, 24 views)
SouthCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2009   #2
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

SouthCoast, very good info. Looks like I may be trying Azospirillum next year. You might want to post any future info on Myco's or beneficial bacteria in the "Gardening in the Green Forum" so we have it in on place. Ami

Last edited by Suze; July 21, 2009 at 01:58 AM. Reason: note - moved
amideutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2009   #3
bohica
Tomatovillian™

Ami,
The first thing i noticed after applying Azospirillium to my tomatoes was a nice green color and shine to the leaves, this was followed by a decent growth spurt and what appeared to be thicker "branches" on my plants, I call them branches because my plants are the size of small trees now...lol
I have applied azos a second time and I will apply once more to my entire garden before the end of the season, three applications are recomended, a little goes a long way.
bohica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2009   #4
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

bohica, How are you applying the Azospirillium? What is the shelf life of the product?
Ami

Thank you for moving over to the GG Forum.
Old July 22, 2009   #5
Pandorae
Tomatovillian™

http://www.tandjenterprises.com/ (BioVam company)

Azospirillum is a component in their microbe tea product.
Pandorae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2009   #6
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Pandorae, I use T&J Microbe tea and could not find anything on the site or info I received with the product indicating Azospirillum was in it. Ami
Old July 23, 2009   #7
Pandorae
Tomatovillian™

I called the company to ask a question and the owner was telling me about future products he was looking into. I told him about Azospirillum and he told me they already put Azospirillum in their tea. I even spelled it for it for him and he repeated that the product was in the tea. Maybe send him an email and doublecheck in case I misunderstood. The contact info is on the site:
http://www.tandjenterprises.com/

It is my understanding that it is there but if you sent an email we would know for sure (we both could not get it wrong

Pandorae
Old August 8, 2009   #8
brog
Tomatovillian™

Ted -- Pandorae PLEASE let us know what you find Bill
Old August 8, 2009   #9
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Bill, I e-mailed Thomas at T&J and will post his reply. Ted
Old August 15, 2009   #10
Pandorae
Tomatovillian™

I emailed and asked if azosprillum was in their tea to be certain. This is the reply that I received today:

We do not have nor do we make compost tea.

Azosprillum is a bacteria that fixes nitrogen and it is not in our Microbe
Tea product nor is it in our BioVam product. We do have other nitrogen
fixing bacteria in our Microbe Tea product (Azotobacter and Rhizobium) along
with several other species of bacteria.

Best Regards,
Thomas Giannou
http://www.tandjenterprises.com

Perhaps on the telephone call the azosprillum and azotobacter were confused.

I am sorry it is not really in there afterall.

Pandorae
Old August 16, 2009   #11
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for checking Pandorae. Ami
Old August 26, 2009   #12
SouthCoast
Tomatovillian™

Default I missed you guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandorae View Post
I emailed and asked if azosprillum was in their tea to be certain. This is the reply that I received today:

We do not have nor do we make compost tea.

Azosprillum is a bacteria that fixes nitrogen and it is not in our Microbe
Tea product nor is it in our BioVam product. We do have other nitrogen
fixing bacteria in our Microbe Tea product (Azotobacter and Rhizobium) along
with several other species of bacteria.

Best Regards,
Thomas Giannou
http://www.tandjenterprises.com

Perhaps on the telephone call the azosprillum and azotobacter were confused.

I am sorry it is not really in there afterall.

Pandorae
Whats up all. Gata love those microbes. A little detail about Azospirillum. Its growth promoting capabilities are not connected to nitrogen in the soil. Its a plant hormone called IAA that the littel guy synthesizes and delivers in to the plant root. That causes the roots to change, they grow way more root hairs and promote root lateral root growth.

I asked a company who sells azospirillum about the bacteria. Here is part of the e mail:

Azospirillum is making it’s grade globally; already prevalently at home use in India, Israel, Arab states, China, Brazil and the Philippines, along with other nations, its creating quite the agricultural spur. Over two decades in development, Azospirillum is now known for increased yields in “real world” field conditions often by five to twenty percent. Increasing yields results in a decreased need for costly fertilizers, which has spurred the United Nations to vouch for Azospirillum’s assistance in poor countries where a fluctuation in fertilizer cost can result in starvation, especially amid the poorest subsistence farmers.

Upon originally discovering Azospirillum, it gained praise for its capacity to supply a form of nitrogen that plants can without difficulty use. Certainly this was the reason that the beneficial bacteria yields were superior to of the control groups. However, in the up to date years study has exposed the increased growth and overall plant vigor is not connected to nitrogen fixation only. Researchers in a briliant search for truth decieded not to take the easy answer that increased growth was a result of nitrogen. Azospirillum’s nitrogen-producing gene was “turned off,” yet its capability to be the source of added root mass, elevated dry weight, increased survivability, increased crop yield, and increased root hairs remained constant. One factor after another was ruled out. At this point an acknowledged truth that Azospirillum synthesizes the plant growth hormone called IAA (indole-3-acetic acid) in the field of a way which is by a long way utilized by plants. Although many scientists have tried, none hold been able to efficiently replicate Azospirillum’s supply method of IAA to the plant—a way which ensures utmost consumption by plants.

IAA increases lateral root growth and root hairs effectively boosting plants’ overall root surface area and increasing their capability to access nutrients. Furthermore, Azospirillum works symbiotically with Trichoderma and Mycorrhizae to capitalize on growth/production rates. This tripartite bond provides leverage against natural events such as soil pathogens, drought, shock, stress, and infestations. The association of these three microbes has been proven to improve farm production amongst the poorest farmers in the harshest of conditions, while delivering additional food to the stand for less than the chemical alternatives.
SouthCoast is offline   Reply With Quote