Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 24, 2013   #1
Qweniden
Tomatovillian™

Default here comes to the rain and cool temps...

Any other northern California gardeners not looking forward to the early blight this is going to bring? I'm getting prepared to pull a lot of leaves.

This summer rain has been so weird this year.
Qweniden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2013   #2
z_willus_d
Tomatovillian™

I'm a bit baffled by it as well, but I didn't assume automatic EB or other fungal issues because we're only supposed to get a couple days of this before it's back to the dry upper 90's and 100+ weather, which also stinks. I think the plants are in for some whiplash this year.
-n
z_willus_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2013   #3
Qweniden
Tomatovillian™

Did we meet at clos saron?
Old June 24, 2013   #4
z_willus_d
Tomatovillian™

I don't know (you have no picture or name posted), but possibly. I help Gideon with his crush/bottling/harvest from time to time, and he has had other helpers at the site. Or were you referring to one of the open house tastings?

In any case, kudos to you for having the doubly good taste of home grown tomatoes as well fine, real wine.
-n
Old June 24, 2013   #5
rwsacto
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qweniden View Post
Any other northern California gardeners not looking forward to the early blight this is going to bring? I'm getting prepared to pull a lot of leaves.

This summer rain has been so weird this year.
It should be a short wet spell. Maybe just get the hair dryer and extension cord out when it stops and all will be fine.
Rick
rwsacto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2013   #6
Qweniden
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by z_willus_d View Post
I don't know (you have no picture or name posted), but possibly. I help Gideon with his crush/bottling/harvest from time to time, and he has had other helpers at the site. Or were you referring to one of the open house tastings?

In any case, kudos to you for having the doubly good taste of home grown tomatoes as well fine, real wine.
-n
Yeah we bottled together (this is Berry) and discussed our mutual appreciation of growing tomatoes.
Old June 24, 2013   #7
z_willus_d
Tomatovillian™

Ah, hilarious. That's great. Well, we need to meet up and compare fruit someday. Nice to know it's a small world even in cyberspace sometimes.
-n
Old June 24, 2013   #8
Tom A To
Tomatovillian™

It's raining pretty hard as I write this in the foothills above Folsom Lake. I don't think it is the fungus I worry about so much as it is the cracking of the large fruit that is close to ripening. I have tons of Giant Belgiums, Ultimate Openers and Raharts that are on the edge of turning pink. I think with this rain they will start to crack because the skins are in the process of thickening. God knows what will happen when we hit 100 degrees in a couple of days.

Speaking of wine: When I first moved up here, not a house to be seen in the canyon I overlook. Now there's vineyards everywhere you look. Can't complain about the improved view.

Audios, Tomatoville. Posted my final post and time to move on.
Tom A To is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2013   #9
z_willus_d
Tomatovillian™

Dennis, I'm very familiar with your area, and I was quite close to signing a contract for a home in Pilot Hill. It's a wonderful region, with beautiful rolling green hills and plenty lovely nature. The only problem (and also blessing) is that you have to drive through that ravine and all around the bar to get back into city proper. That's an hour plus drive to get to work, so maybe 2+ less hours with my family. Trade-offs, Trade-offs...

Raining heavy here too.
-n
Old June 25, 2013   #10
Tom A To
Tomatovillian™

10 pm and it hasn't stopped raining all day. A slow drizzle with the gauge presently at .48 inches. This is not good.

Yes, Pilot Hill is peaceful and the view is great. Before I retired I worked in Folsom (Intel) and the commute is only 30 minutes, no ravine. The ravine is between here and Auburn, fortunately.

Old June 25, 2013   #11
z_willus_d
Tomatovillian™

Correct, the commute to Folsom is far better and faster. Try getting to Roseville (HP) that way. Nope the ravine and Auburn would have been my path.
-n
Old June 25, 2013   #12
Tom A To
Tomatovillian™

Still rainy and cold this morning but hey, this weekend I see it's supposed to be 104 degrees! Yay!