Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 10, 2012   #1
BLTLOVER
Tomatovillian™

Default Tracking 2012 Big Beef tomato plants

I have created a photo album with photos of my six Big Beef tomato plants that is tracking the productivity of my plants from shortly after I put them in the ground up to the most recent date and I will continue this until frost. http://www.tomatoville.com/album.php?albumid=114

As of 8/9/2012, I have picked a total of 271 ripe tomatoes with many more to come. If you're looking for a large, flavorful, highly productive tomato to grow, check it out.
BLTLOVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2012   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLTLOVER View Post
I have created a photo album with photos of my six Big Beef tomato plants that is tracking the productivity of my plants from shortly after I put them in the ground up to the most recent date and I will continue this until frost. http://www.tomatoville.com/album.php?albumid=114

As of 8/9/2012, I have picked a total of 271 ripe tomatoes with many more to come. If you're looking for a large, flavorful, highly productive tomato to grow, check it out.
And here's another person who tracked the timeline development of Big Beef, so you can compare.

http://www.tomatosite.com/index.php?...Truss_Timeline

Paul was very active at GW for a long time and when the new FAQ's that we worked on were finished it was Paul who uploaded them for us.

And I've linked to Paul's timeline many times here over the years, so here it is again.
Old August 10, 2012   #3
Ken4230
Tomatovillian™

Default Wow

I thought I was doing good. I got 110+ off of 4 Big Beef plants before the heat shut them down. These cool night time temps have let then start blooming again.

I'll say again that I'm impressed and that's awesome.

Ken
Ken4230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2012   #4
Ken4230
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
And here's another person who tracked the timeline development of Big Beef, so you can compare.

http://www.tomatosite.com/index.php?...Truss_Timeline

Paul was very active at GW for a long time and when the new FAQ's that we worked on were finished it was Paul who uploaded them for us.

And I've linked to Paul's timeline many times here over the years, so here it is again.
Thanks for the link, Carolyn.
This is one of the reasons you're so valuable to us, you know where the "important stuff" is.
Ken4230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2012   #5
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Big Beef has been my hybrid tomato of choice for years. It is very productive, withstands fusarium better than most other fusarium resistant hybrids, tolerates the heat and humidity better than most other hybrids, it also can have a very long season and it is a rather tasty tomato. I still prefer many of the heirlooms for flavor but it is my insurance tomato every year. Bella Rosa is another tasty hybrid but it is not as good withstanding fusarium wilt in my garden and it always has a much shorter season. Jetsetter is even more productive than Big Beef in the spring and fall but does not do as well in the mid summer heat nor is it as good tasting to me.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2012   #6
BLTLOVER
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the link and comments. The Big Beef is an AMAZING hybrid FOR SURE! I hope many more will try it next season.
Old August 10, 2012   #7
marc_groleau
Tomatovillian™

Big Beef is also my insurance tomato for all of the above reasons.
marc_groleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2012   #8
mecktom
Tomatovillian™

Holy Cow....that is productivity for sure!
mecktom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2012   #9
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Now you know why I sell more Big Beef plants than any other hybrid. Locally, it is rapidly replacing long time standards like Big Boy, Better Boy, etc.

I have a new hybrid from Randy Gardner that outproduced Big Beef this year, but the fruits are not quite as large. When I say outproduced, I mean in pounds of fruit produced.

DarJones
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2012   #10
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

How lovely to have such a beautiful young lady happily watching over the harvest. Now if she could guard over some of the critters taking random samples ...

Since everyone is on board with Big Beef , where do you get your seeds from?

Last edited by greenthumbomaha; August 10, 2012 at 05:57 PM.
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2012   #11
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Big Beef is very widely available. http://www.willhiteseed.com/ is one good source. Tomato Growers Supply is another.

DarJones
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2012   #12
BLTLOVER
Tomatovillian™

Fusion Power, I used to grow Big Boy and they are productive also but Big Beef is the champ. Wow, what was the hybrid that outproduced Big Beef? I'd like to try a couple plants next year!
Old August 10, 2012   #13
BLTLOVER
Tomatovillian™

I have always gotten my seed from Gurney's.
Old August 10, 2012   #14
marc_groleau
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
How lovely to have such a beautiful young lady happily watching over the harvest. Now if she could guard over some of the critters taking random samples ...

Since everyone is on board with Big Beef , where do you get your seeds from?
Burpees
marc_groleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2012   #15
kygreg
Tomatovillian™

I am another one for whom Big Beef has been a must in my garden for a few years. And like others, it is my insuarance tomato. It is the only hybrid I grow every year. I did also grow hybrid Goliath this year and it has been an excellent one also. I planted both varieties the first week of April and have both have and still are producing well and have withstood the rather extreme heat this year and have resisted and disease or other problems.
kygreg is offline   Reply With Quote