Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old December 29, 2006   #16
MikeInCypress
Tomatovillian™

Default High Prices at Burpee's Catalog

For those that don't know it - WalMart has for the last few years carried Burpee Seeds and all packets are under $2.00. They did have Brandy Boy last year but not the "cover tomato of the year " So they probably won't have Porterhouse this year.

I can't understand this type of marketing either. You sell your soul to the devil (Walmart) and gouge your targeted audience (mail order gardeners). Now I am not against Walmart as their creed is selling everything at a low price, but they are so big that they, in essence, tell you what they will pay for your product. And they pay you on their terms not yours.

MikeInCypress
Old December 29, 2006   #17
giardiniere
Tomatovillian™

I agree that Baker Creek is very generous with the amount of seeds in their packets. Last year I found at least twice the listed number of seeds and at least in one there were triple the amount listed. They also have one of the better catalogs.
I noticed that the newest registered user's name is JereGettle. If it is actually Jere, perhaps he can chime in on this.
Old December 29, 2006   #18
pooklette
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardengalrn
I'm all for making a buck if you are in business but felt Burpee's prices were just outrageous.
Me too. There is no way I'd pay $4.40 a pack for 25 or 30 very standard, hybrid veggie seeds. Baker Creek, TGS, Sandhill, SSE and others offer generous seed counts and a large selection of OP/Heirloom veggies without making me feel like I've just been taken to the cleaners. They work very hard to ensure that OP and heirloom varieties are preserved and to me, that's worth a lot more than a fancy catalog blurb. I would much rather take that $4.40 Burpee is asking for and send it to one of the above listed companies instead. I'd get more seeds, good service, gorgeous catalogs, cheap shipping...and I get to indirectly support the people who work so hard to preserve the varieties that wouldn't otherwise be available to me. Seems very win-win to me.
pooklette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2006   #19
cecilsgarden1958
Tomatovillian™

"You sell your soul to the devil (Walmart) and gouge your targeted audience (mail order gardeners)."

That's why I ask last year if store bought seeds were the same 'quality' as catalog seeds from the company. I was told by a reliable Dr. source that they were ;-)

CECIL-who works for Walmart, LOL, shhhh don't tell Mike
Old January 7, 2007   #20
EbbMc
Tomatovillian™

For those that don't know it - WalMart has for the last few years carried Burpee Seeds and all packets are under $2.00. They did have Brandy Boy last year but not the "cover tomato of the year " So they probably won't have Porterhouse this year.

Picked up 2 packs of Porterhouse yesterday at walmarts in Oneonta NY.Cost was 1.50 per pack.
Ebb
EbbMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2007   #21
sacratomato70
Tomatovillian™

Default Free Shipping Incentive

Burpee is a little pricey, but their quantity of seeds on some items are more than the same item found at a store I have noticed. I ususally check the weights or do a seed count.
For anyone who pays by credit card, Burpee does have its own credit card through Bank of America. If you sign up and get their credit card, you get free shipping on every order placed to Burpee and you can still apply any discounts that you may have ($5.00 order etc.). Plus you get a free T-shirt when you place your first order.
It's a great deal given the price of shipping these days and you do save a little. I applied for the card and saved over 10.00 on my order plus a free packet of seeds. (I got a 5.00 discount for a coupon plus 5.00 or 6.00 off for shipping).
sacratomato70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2007   #22
bugsy
Tomatovillian™

Walmart carries a limited selection of Burpee varieties but if you are hankering for say the Firecracker tomato, then head on over there.

Personally i'm drooling over golden mama. Not sure why, perhaps was mesmerized by pretty photo. But at $4.50 for 30 seeds, eh, I'll survive without it.
bugsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2007   #23
Granny
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

I landed on a page through Stumble this afternoon that was offering 10 - yes, TEN - Dr. Carolyn seeds for $7.50 plus shipping and handling. I almost choked.
Granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2007   #24
dirtdigging101
Tomatovillian™

i have written to burpee and aske d about all of this. thanks for the tip on th cc for free shipping with the 5 dollars off for orders of 30 dollars can save a good bit or is it 25 dollar orders i forget.
i grow comercial and red october and 4thof jly are not abailable any place else and i need 5 packs per year of each. and i buy thenm a year in advance so to be sure on jan 1 i have them
dirtdigging101 is offline   Reply With Quote