Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 17, 2010   #1
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Default What variety is this ?

This weekend I saw a tomato at the market that the Amish were selling.

They grow a variety of tomatoes in a greenhouse for early sales. many are named heirlooms but they had some quart boxes of a mixture of smaller tomatoes. But they also do some hybrids.

This 1 tomato was unique. It was a small roma shape. Maybe just a bit larger than a Juliet. The unique part is the fact that it has an "innie" belly button on the blossom end that looked just like this <>. All of them were exactly the same.

I think I've seen a pic of something like that, but of course right now I can't find it in any of my catalogs. if no one has any idea maybe I'll buy some next week and see what they taste like and save some seed.

Forgot to mention it's red.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2010   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi-sunflower View Post
This weekend I saw a tomato at the market that the Amish were selling.

They grow a variety of tomatoes in a greenhouse for early sales. many are named heirlooms but they had some quart boxes of a mixture of smaller tomatoes. But they also do some hybrids.

This 1 tomato was unique. It was a small roma shape. Maybe just a bit larger than a Juliet. The unique part is the fact that it has an "innie" belly button on the blossom end that looked just like this <>. All of them were exactly the same.

I think I've seen a pic of something like that, but of course right now I can't find it in any of my catalogs. if no one has any idea maybe I'll buy some next week and see what they taste like and save some seed.

Forgot to mention it's red.

Carol
Carol, go next week, buy some and ask the seller the name of the variety b'c I don't think anyone can give a specific ID for it. it may have no name but at least you'll know that from those who grew it.

As for small fruited varieties and innie belly buttons, there's a variety that I offered in my last seed offer here, called Kazachka, which is a so called black cherry, and I said in my listed there were both cherry forms and what I called mini-beefs but it's the latter that have a wee belly button that turns inwards.

Those who got the cherry form will probably see both cherry and belly button forms on different plants and those who got the mini-beef ones will also see the different forms on separate plants. My seeds were from Andrey and he saw the same thing.

So that's a bit about innie belly buttons on a small fruited variety but I think you're going to have to track down the folks who sold it to tell you what it was.

So by all means buy some next week and find out what it is, if indeed they know, b'c it could be anything and not named as I know you know as well.
Old May 17, 2010   #3
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Actually we did ask last week, but they either didn't know or just weren't telling. Probably the later as that market is too competitive to give out all your special info.

These friut were so uniform that I'm thinking they are some newer Hybrid in the saladette class.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote