Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old May 16, 2012   #1
aimeruni
Tomatovillian™

Default help w/cukes and zukes!

NOTE: Zukes/cukes are bush types w/short vines; also are more tolerant of confined spaces, closer planting etc.

When I tried to grow squash plants last time, I overcrowded them. I’m wondering what size container will be large enough for one squash plant.

Was thinking of using a 10 gallon container, it's just a plastic storage container w/holes drilled in the bottom for drainage; has a depth of about 14"-18". Will be translucent w/color to reduce heat build up.

Is this too small?
aimeruni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2012   #2
noinwi
Tomatovillian™

I don't know off the top of my head what the soil capacity is, but I have two wooden boxes that I use for zucchini plants(one in each)that are approx. 14"Wx28L"x4"H. They do fine, but I have to keep on top of watering. I've seen posts by other people that use 5gal buckets. I think your container should be fine.
The container I plant my usual 3 bush cukes in is about 4gal and I use sticks to make a tripod to tie the vines to.

Here's a photo of one of my zuke boxes from a previous season and I used the other box for the cukes that year.

Cukes with supports.

Last edited by noinwi; May 17, 2012 at 01:56 AM. Reason: to add photo
noinwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2012   #3
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

Looks like you had some powdery mildew on those cukes/zuch. But they seem to not be hindered Looks good.
Crandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2012   #4
MikeInCypress
Tomatovillian™

I believe the white markings are a characteristic of that variety of Zucchini.

MikInCypress
Old May 17, 2012   #5
noinwi
Tomatovillian™

No PM. The silver mottling is natural for certain varieties. PM never hits here until late summer or early fall. It's very windy here for most of the season which keeps everything dry. Once the cooler moist weather hits, the PM sets in. I can still keep the plants going for a while by spraying fungicide, but the season is winding down then anyway.
noinwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2012   #6
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Hmm. I recently attended a talk by Renee Shepherd, where she gave away seeds for a new container zucchini (Astia). The packet says it was developed especially for container growing and small space gardens. But the minimum container size for one plant is 15 in. diameter by 12 in. high, which is about 1.5 cf = 10 gallons (for 15 in x 15 in x 12 in) or 1.23 cf = 8 g (for 15 in. diameter).

And I assume a regular type of zucchini requires more space.

You could try one plant in a 10g, but if you have something larger, your plant will probably be much happier.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2012   #7
aimeruni
Tomatovillian™

Well I figured for one plant, a 10 gallon container would be too small, but I'm not sure.

Would a 30 gallon container be big enough? Also if I'm using the 30 gallon container could I plant more than one plant (w/zuke and cuke) without overcrowding?

If so, how many zuke and cuke plants would you recommend per 30 gallon container? The cuke is a bush type and the final spacing once they're thinned is 8" apt. per plant.

The 30 gallon container has about a 30"-35" length.
aimeruni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2012   #8
stonysoilseeds
Tomatovillian™

noinwi those pics are great and the plants look real healthy
stonysoilseeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2012   #9
cornbreadlouie
Tomatovillian™

I grew two zucchini plants in a 5 gallon bucket last year and they produced fine until the plants got really big and the days started getting shorter. You could probably do two or three plants in a 10 gallon container and have good production, but you'll have to keep on top of watering once summer gets here.
Old May 19, 2012   #10
DogsandDirt
Tomatovillian™

Here's a website about container vegetable gardening that's pretty helpful:

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1647.html
DogsandDirt is offline   Reply With Quote