Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 2, 2019   #76
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
Fish Lake Oxheart (pink) (I'm stiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiilllllllllllllllllll looking for the red version)

Heritage had them listed so I ordered some for you. They should be there Saturday.
Good luck trying to find a genetically STABLE ORIGINAL RED ONE since this variety genetically flip flops all the time as you can see here.

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Fish_Lake_Oxheart.

Even Tania calls the color, red,pink

And you have no idea how many times Neil in Canada would send me seeds for a seed offer.said to be red,harvest and process seeds , sow them and you get pink.

Fact is the two color versions grow the same way and taste is the same for both as well.

So that's a plus as I see it.

Carolyn
Old January 2, 2019   #77
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Gary, your dedication and enthusiasm for this yearly project astounds me.

And your spelling of varieties is almost impeccable.

Reading the varieties you listed is for me a trip down memory lane.

Finally, a couple of days ago there was an article on my HOME page of food products that garnered the most income in each state.

Would it surprise you to know that in MA it was cranberries, all hail to Ocean Spray.

Carolyn
Old January 2, 2019   #78
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Good luck trying to find a genetically STABLE ORIGINAL RED ONE since this variety genetically flip flops all the time as you can see here.

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Fish_Lake_Oxheart.

Even Tania calls the color, red,pink

And you have no idea how many times Neil in Canada would send me seeds for a seed offer.said to be red,harvest and process seeds , sow them and you get pink.

Fact is the two color versions grow the same way and taste is the same for both as well.

So that's a plus as I see it.

Carolyn

Carolyn,

Reading only the history at tatianastomatobase, it is not clear if there is a "true" red (yellow epidermis) version. Tania mentions that color perception may be at play. Since you know your tomatoes and their colors, have you ever seen a red FLO, and therefore would confirm that the color genetically flip flops? In the past several years trying to track the red one down, I've yet to come across anyone who can confirm they have seen the red, let alone have seeds for it. Well, now that I may have the seeds, it'll have to be multiple plants to trial in 2019.

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote