Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 1, 2013   #1
mysidx
Tomatovillian™

Default Mystery question

I purchased some Indian Stripe seeds a couple of years ago, and found out not all of them are correct. Some of the seeds produce a regular leaded red tomato with ribbed shoulders. The tomato wad so good that I have saved seeds and grew them again. My question is; do I just keep calling it my mystery tomato? I hate that I dont know it's original name. Anyone else keep seeds from unknown plants?
Old July 2, 2013   #2
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Sure, every few years something unexpected turns up in my garden. If it tastes good, I save seeds - as Mystery X something. If it keeps the same characteristics for the next two or three years, I sometimes give it a new name, but make sure I give the history if I share any seeds with anyone. I have one this year when Prue crossed with something in my garden. I only have two plants, but the fruit shapes are different on each plant, and neither is like Prue, so the mystery parent will likely be impossible to figure out, unless I see some drastic color change when they ripen.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2013   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysidx View Post
I purchased some Indian Stripe seeds a couple of years ago, and found out not all of them are correct. Some of the seeds produce a regular leaded red tomato with ribbed shoulders. The tomato wad so good that I have saved seeds and grew them again. My question is; do I just keep calling it my mystery tomato? I hate that I dont know it's original name. Anyone else keep seeds from unknown plants?
If the seeds you received were crossed and more than one plant gave you the red fruits, then it was crossed seed and there was no orginal name for it.

If you really like the red one, then growout those saved seeds and put out as many plants as you can, and if all are the same, save seeds again, and do it again, to be sure you weren't working with an accidental hybrid.When you know it's stable you can name it what you want to IMO.

Carolyn