Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 7, 2016   #1
LindyAdele
Tomatovillian™

Default Blue cream Berries Vs. Amythyst Cream Cherry?

Baker Creek has blue cream berries, which I bought a few days ago on a whim with !y other veggies, because I liked their Blue Berries so much! I can't find anyone else on the web selling this variety, so I wonder if it is the same as Amythyst Cream? They look very similar, and both are fairly recent creations, I believe. It frustrates me when stores rename varieties, and I hope that isn't the case here....but if so I would like to know the proper name. Thoughts?
LindyAdele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2016   #2
natural
Tomatovillian™

I think you are correct. I suspect this is a rename of Amethyst Cream.

BC also lists Gold Berries, which is the yellow variant that folks found from Blue Boar Berries. So it is not that one. I do not know of anything else similar.

If you compare the descriptions between WBF and BC you will see that they are very similar.
natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2016   #3
KC.Sun
Tomatovillian™

I believe it's a renamed version of amethyst cream. I believe at one time there was a chart that listed the antho types by WBF as indigo tomatoes and the blue cream/amethyst cream was listed. I may be wrong on that. But seem to remember something of the sort.

Gold berries is listed on the WBF site now.

I stopped ordering from Bakers Creek because I didn't know what I was order anymore. Product quality seemed to be misrepresented to me. I don't like it when sellers rename products and bakers creek seems to generalize/rename several types.

Their quality seems to be great...perhaps I'm just looking for more.
KC.Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2016   #4
LindyAdele
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC.Sun View Post
I believe it's a renamed version of amethyst cream. I believe at one time there was a chart that listed the antho types by WBF as indigo tomatoes and the blue cream/amethyst cream was listed. I may be wrong on that. But seem to remember something of the sort.

I stopped ordering from Bakers Creek because I didn't know what I was order anymore. Product quality seemed to be misrepresented to me. I don't like it when sellers rename products and bakers creek seems to generalize/rename several types.

I am ordering from other sellers in Canada also this year, but wanted to try a few veggies only Baker Creek seems to sell. I have had many issues with tomato seeds not growing true from them, and in general I would trust unbagged tomato seed from fellow gardeners more than them. But the prices and selection are excellent, and I love growing unique vegetables. It does bother me that names just change like that. I wish I could order from all the tomato developers, but as I live in Canada the shipping just killls me! Where have you had good luck ordering from?
Old February 7, 2016   #5
KC.Sun
Tomatovillian™

I've actually been ordering a lot from Heritage Tomato Market this year. Their service is really good, and seeds aren't too expensive. Ellie always throws in lots of freebies.

http://heritageseedmarket.com/index....eringshipping/

They are really fast shipping and seeds germinate very quickly.

I also order from Victory Seeds and Secret Secret Seed Cartel.

http://www.secretseedcartel.com. (Terry's seeds are really high quality.)

Victoryseeds.com (I haven't tried germinating seeds from them yet, will do so in a few days)

Tatiana's Tomato base (this is a Canadian company)

I'm also trying Refining Fire Chilies for my chili peppers. They have a very large selection.

http://store.myorganicseeds.com

This year, I've ordered the most from Victory Seeds and Heritage Seed Market. Sometimes from Secret Seed Cartel. So far from experience, they provide great customer service.

What items were you looking at from Bakers Creek? OR looking for?
Old February 7, 2016   #6
LindyAdele
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I've actually been ordering a lot from Heritage Tomato Market this year. Their service is really good, and seeds aren't too expensive. Ellie always throws in lots of freebies.

http://heritageseedmarket.com/index....eringshipping/

They are really fast shipping and seeds germinate very quickly.

I also order from Victory Seeds and Secret Secret Seed Cartel.

http://www.secretseedcartel.com. (Terry's seeds are really high quality.)

Victoryseeds.com (I haven't tried germinating seeds from them yet, will do so in a few days)

Tatiana's Tomato base (this is a Canadian company)

I'm also trying Refining Fire Chilies for my chili peppers. They have a very large selection.

http://store.myorganicseeds.com

This year, I've ordered the most from Victory Seeds and Heritage Seed Market. Sometimes from Secret Seed Cartel. So far from experience, they provide great customer service.

What items were you looking at from Bakers Creek? OR looking for?

I was looking for a particular short-season edammame, and they had one advertised at 62 days. I don't know if that's true, but I'll take that over 120 days which won't give me a harvest in an early frost. I also wanted Red Swan Bush Bean (I grow a lot of bush beans and love the different colours!) also, Persian Basil, white pickling cucumbers, merlo nero spinach, fish peppers and little sailor eggplant. It's great when I can get everything at one place with only $3.00 shipping. I ordered the rest of my seeds this year from William Dam Seeds, here in Ontario. Good selection, and I could get SunSugar seeds there, Calliope Eggplant, many of my herbs and basic flowers. I'll check out your suggestions for next year! I do rarely have to buy tomatoes now, as seed swaps have kept me well stocked, but I do want to support the breeders and those who work to make open pollinated seed available.
Old February 7, 2016   #7
KC.Sun
Tomatovillian™

Victory sells several types of Edamame. Some long season some short. There are several still available that fall within 65-70 day determinate category.

They also have several types of bush beans and cucumbers. Just not too many eggplants.

I'm waiting until next year to grow edamame and will be growing Basque types vegetables instead.

If you join Gary's swap next year, you may be able to find some more unique varieties. I may break down and add edamame to the list. There are several that I'm looking to grow.

Hope everything works for you.

Last edited by KC.Sun; February 8, 2016 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Spelling.. Apple and auto spelling, almost can't spell here.
Old February 7, 2016   #8
LindyAdele
Tomatovillian™

I should be able to save beans,edammame, etc. From now on. Maybe You can contributed to Gary's swap next year, I certainly have enjoyed it in the past! Thanks for all your suggestions!
Old February 8, 2016   #9
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

Lindy,
The weird thing is that Baker Creek says Blue Cream Cherry is a Wild Boar Farms creation, but WBF does not list it, only Amethyst Cream Cherry, and unlike their Blue Boar Berries (now Blue Berries,) it does not seem to be renamed. I would say they are not the same, but it's only a guess.

Robin
RobinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2016   #10
Hunt-Grow-Cook
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

I agree with this. Same tomato, just renamed.
Hunt-Grow-Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2016   #11
LindyAdele
Tomatovillian™

I guess I would have to grow both to make an evaluation. I don't really have space this year for that, but I will have seeds soon if anyone wants a few to grow out... The descriptions are different, but that is no indication. I don't believe Baker Creek developed any unique tomatoes, rather they sell others from Fred Hemple and those they have collected on travel. If it is a unique tomato, perhaps they have exclusive rights?
Old February 8, 2016   #12
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Baker Creek does not do "exclusive rights". As far as I know they are 100% OP and 100% freely available.
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2016   #13
LindyAdele
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hempel View Post
Baker Creek does not do "exclusive rights". As far as I know they are 100% OP and 100% freely available.
Good to know! I expect in a few more years the naming issue will be sorted out and I should just be patient and call it by the name I received it under.
Old February 8, 2016   #14
KC.Sun
Tomatovillian™

I confirmed with Brad of Wild Boar Farms about this issue.

Amethyst Cream Cherry tomatoes are the same as Blue Cream berries. So you can save some garden space and only grow from 1 seed packet instead of 2.
Old February 9, 2016   #15
LindyAdele
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I confirmed with Brad of Wild Boar Farms about this issue.

Amethyst Cream Cherry tomatoes are the same as Blue Cream berries. So you can save some garden space and only grow from 1 seed packet instead of 2.
Thanks so much!!!