Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old May 27, 2014   #1
tnkrer
Tomatovillian™

Default whats killing my diva cukes

Planted Diva for the first time. The seeds germinated very well, the seedling was very vigorous. Planted the cukes on May 17th in the container. They seemed to be doing fine for few days. However, last two days, they were wilting. Now I think one is almost dead and the other is on the same path. What can I do to fix those?

All other plants in containers, in vicinity are doing just fine.

dying plant in the morning

dying plant in the evening

Its neighbor that I may be able to save?

tnkrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2014   #2
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

1 yellowing leaf
plant is wilting

I would look closely for a bulge in the stem near the ground as a further sign of Squash Vine Borer. I've heard of people cutting them out with a razor blade and then mounding up soil around the affected stem so that roots grow.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/prevent...ers-74204.html

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2014   #3
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

I had the same thing happen to my DIVA last year. My assessment: potting mix was constantly too wet. This season, I am using Grow Media in a ratio of: 3:3:2 potting mix, microbark, perlite. So far, no wilting.

Raybo

Last edited by rnewste; May 27, 2014 at 09:42 PM.
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2014   #4
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I was thinking pythium, aka falling over disease, which I get a lot worse with a media that is too wet without enough aeration, to echo what Raybo just said.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2014   #5
tnkrer
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for that suggestion feldon30, but I did not see any bulge in the stem. So hopefully its not vine borer.
Raybo and cole_robbie - Thanks for the suggestion about running my tainer too wet. (Its a modified tainer, but uses 3:2:1 mix). At the moment I have moved the cukes in a big pot. They were doing great in my pots. So while I recreate the new mix and increase the aeration in my tainer, they will hopefully recover. I don't really have much hope for the dying one, its stem was flopped over at the bottom, so I buried it a little more for it to be able to stay up. However, the second might live. Of course if pythium is some pathogen and if has taken hold .. oh well, I just started few more Diva seeds.
Old May 28, 2014   #6
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

It might have just been the disturbance of the transplant process itself, the roots of cucumbers are extremely fragile. Cucumbers grow fast enough that not a lot is gained by starting them indoors and transplanting. I would direct sow them in your container next time and see how they do.
Karen
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2014   #7
tnkrer
Tomatovillian™

I have read that cukes don't like to be transplanted, however, I didn't have any problems with transplanting cukes in last couple of years. Other three transplanted cukes are happy. (so far). It may be because I use container and the same grow media for pots and containers, the seedlings are hardened before transplant so there is minimal shock. Diva may be more delicate than other cuke varieties though.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk
Old May 28, 2014   #8
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I grow a few Diva plants each year and some years they do really well but most years they do not. I always grow at least 3 different varieties of cucumbers so if one doesn't do great maybe one of the others will. Usually the most consistent producer is Sweet Success but this year Oriental Express is doing far better and Diva is doing poorly. They are all three in the same bed getting the same treatment.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2014   #9
kath
Tomatovillian™

After a successful first year with Diva, I've given up on it- loved the taste but it was really finicky the following 2 seasons and other varieties did much better.

If I start cukes/melons/pole beans inside, I always use peat pots so the roots aren't disturbed. When I direct seed any curcurbit, the cucumber beetles have a field day with them unless I keep them covered with floating row cover.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2014   #10
tnkrer
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Kath. My first year with Diva. So I hope to be able to get a few cukes of that variety.

So I recreated the mix in 3:3:2 ratio, increased the number of aeration holes and replanted the one Diva plant still alive. The dying diva plant couldn't make it in the pot.

Hope this one flourishes.
Old June 3, 2014   #11
tnkrer
Tomatovillian™

picture shows clear difference in the level of moisture in the two pots. Eggplants are in 3:2:1 mix and cukes are in 3:3:2 mix

I think the diva cuke is going to recover and flourish!
Old June 3, 2014   #12
Jaysan
Tomatovillian™

I am growing Sweet Success in 3 2 1 and no issues. grew Divas last year in the same and did really well. Still might try the 3 3 1 next year or maybe just taking out some of the mix and adding pine bark.

I thought originally earthboxes and "tainers" used straight potting soil? You'd think that would definitely be too wet?
Jaysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2014   #13
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysan View Post

I thought originally earthboxes and "tainers" used straight potting soil? You'd think that would definitely be too wet?
Jaysan,

The EarthTainer Guide has never recommended straight potting soil! The 3:2:1 mix originated with the EarthTainer design.

Raybo

p.s. I encourage people to experiment with 3:3:2, 3:2:2, and other ratios depending on your local rainfall, climate, etc.
Old June 3, 2014   #14
Jaysan
Tomatovillian™

I wasn't sure about it Ray. Thanks for the clarification. A question if I may, is the mix under the plastic normally moist in a 3 2 1? Mine is. Not wet but damp.
Jaysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2014   #15
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Jaysan,

Ideally, the 3:2:1 (or alternate ratio) should be "moist" a few inches down in the container - never "wet". A lot will depend on how much local rainfall one gets, humidity, etc.

Increasing perlite composition will help your mix stay moist, but not wet.

It will probably take a few Seasons of experimentation to derive your ideal (local) ratios.

Raybo

Last edited by rnewste; June 3, 2014 at 07:13 PM.