Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old March 13, 2014   #1
Anthony_Toronto
Tomatovillian™

Default Possibly naive question re. pollenation

If I only plant one variety of each of several squash will they be capable of being properly pollenated? I'm used to tomatoes, and I know that tomatoes self-pollenate or can be pollenated by insects with pollen of the mother plant or another tomato regardless of variety.

So what's the deal with squash? If I have only one squash plant period, will pollen from the male flowers pollenate the females via insects? Do I need two plants of each variety (or would that only be to ensure more healthy/viable saved seeds)? Or if I have several different squash plants will the male pollen from any be adequate to pollenate (or is it pollenize) the females of its own or any other variety?

Thanks...
Anthony_Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2014   #2
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony_Toronto View Post
So what's the deal with squash? If I have only one squash plant period, will pollen from the male flowers pollenate the females via insects? Do I need two plants of each variety (or would that only be to ensure more healthy/viable saved seeds)? Or if I have several different squash plants will the male pollen from any be adequate to pollenate (or is it pollenize) the females of its own or any other variety?
Correct. If you have one squash plant period (or any number of plants), pollen needs to be transferred from the male flower to the female flower. So you are completely dependent on insects doing the job. I plant about 9-10 squash plants that climb my trellis and I have had issues getting enough fruit set (they were setting fruit but not at the percentage I wanted) so I manually pollinate my squash before work in the morning. I use a wire fuzzy pipe cleaner. Rub it on an open male flower(s) and then rub it on the female stigma(s). I don't care where the pollen comes from since I'm growing all C. Pepo and I'm not saving seeds from the squash I pollinate in this manner (just for eating). The key is the squash need to be in the same species (generally) C. Moschata pollen likely will not pollinate a C. Pepo, etc.

If you are wanting to save seed, you'll want to look into taping male and female flowers shut the night before they open and then manually pollinating the next morning and then retaping the female pollinated flower shut.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2014   #3
Anthony_Toronto
Tomatovillian™

Great, thanks for the info, my production last time was spotty so I think I'll add manual pollenation into my repertoire
Old March 13, 2014   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Great, thanks for the info, my production last time was spotty so I think I'll add manual pollenation into my repertoire

Here is what you will need to wear.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2014   #5
bestofour
Tomatovillian™

I hand pollinated my squash at the first of the season last year because for some reason at the first of the season I have more female than male flowers and since I planted early the bees weren't buzzing. I've found hand pollinating gets me through until the male flowers starting blooming and the bees are out. I pull off the male flower, fold back the leaves, and just rub the male parts on the female parts. I guess doing it with a q-tip is neater but I haven't noticed that I waste much pollen doing it my way. If you have a lot of rain hand pollinating works best too.
bestofour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2014   #6
Anthony_Toronto
Tomatovillian™

Worth, if I find one of those in my garden I guarantee I'll bee spending a lot more time in the backyard this year!

I'll attempt some hand-pollenation depending on what's buzzing around and the flower makeup...have only grown squash a few times but female flowers didn't emerge for a while, so to try to get some of the first few to set fruit I'll get in there with some male flowers.
Old March 13, 2014   #7
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Worth, if I find one of those in my garden I guarantee I'll bee spending a lot more time in the backyard this year!

I'll attempt some hand-pollenation depending on what's buzzing around and the flower makeup...have only grown squash a few times but female flowers didn't emerge for a while, so to try to get some of the first few to set fruit I'll get in there with some male flowers.

A few years ago I photo shopped some Playboy pinup girls in a picture of the garden and house. and showed my neighbor.
I told him look who came by while you were gone.

He swallowed it hook line and sinker.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2014   #8
Anthony_Toronto
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
A few years ago I photo shopped some Playboy pinup girls in a picture of the garden and house. and showed my neighbor.
I told him look who came by while you were gone.

He swallowed it hook line and sinker.

Worth
Well done!