Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old March 25, 2007   #1
gardengalrn
Tomatovillian™

Default Any daylily experts out there?

I have never grown daylilies before but fell in love with them in a friend's garden. This same friend's father gave me a wonderful selection when he divided his last fall (heh heh, giving away lots of tomato plants DOES have its paybacks). I put them in my garden to basically keep them viable until I am ready to move. I plan to take every single one with me. They are sprouting now with this warm weather we're having. The problem is, that DH is wanting to till my entire garden area and reseed grass for future sale this summer (hopefully!). Is there any possible way that I could dig the lilies now, maybe put them into the 5 gal buckets I have to keep them alive until moving in June? I don't mind if they don't blossom this year, I just don't want to kill them or stunt them so bad they will never recover. Any thoughts?
gardengalrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2007   #2
lavandula girl
Tomatovillian™

You should be able to keep those viable, and probably blooming, in containers. I'd just treat them like container plants til you get to your new home, so just remember to add drainage to your 5 gall buckets. Daylilies, even the newer varieties, are almost indestructible. If you do get bloom, the only thing I would encourage is deadheading. While the plants are in pots, you're going to want them to be putting their energy into keeping their root systems healthy, not in setting seed. The best new plants are from division anyway, so there's no need to save seed. Do you know what varieties he gave you?
Old March 26, 2007   #3
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Daylilly Dude! Where are you?
Old March 26, 2007   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Daylilly Dude! Where are you? :smile:

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2007   #5
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

Rich should find this thread eventually ~ lol ~

Tom
Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2007   #6
daylilydude
Tomatovillian™

Ok i is here (thanks tom) anyways i couldn't have said it any better than lavandula girl put it ! That's the way i would do it but now i'm not an expert but i do know someone else that really knows daylilies OH Carolyn !please chime in just in case you would do it differently it would give her different options .
Old March 28, 2007   #7
Suze
Tomatovillian™

I like daylilies and have grown quite a few over the years, but I doubt I qualify as an expert.

Anyhow -- it's not uncommon to carry and even propagate fans in a 2 gal container (especially in warmer climes), so that should be 'good enough' for you to move varieties. 5 gal containers seem like overkill unless you have plenty as well as the wherewithal to move them.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2007   #8
flowerpower
Tomatovillian™

They keep them in pots all season at the nurseries. Daylily have pretty shallow roots. A 5-gal pail might be too deep. I'd keep them in partial shade if I could. I think they'll be fine.
flowerpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2007   #9
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

Hi,
Because of operations last year, I could only do so much gardening at a time. I had to keep many daylilies(and other plants) in pots. I used the gallon size nursery containers. I kept them on the east side of my garage so they only got a 1/2 day of sun. Some stayed in the containers until fall. They all did well. The daylilies did exceptionally well. So you should have no problems : )
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2007   #10
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

Oops I forgot to add that I did not fertilize, just watered when they needed it. I figured fertilizing would just make them want to outgrow the pots too quick.
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2007   #11
gardengalrn
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I had posted on the daylily forum at GW at the same time and had one lady tell me they should be fine in plastic grocery bags for the amount of time I was talking about. This seemed to me an excellent idea and that is what I did. I dug up the root ball and placed them in the bags, poking some holes for drainage and circulation. I put them up against the house and they made it through this cold spell with a tarp over them. It seems that they will transport easier this way, too.
gardengalrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2007   #12
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Richard, I would do it differently, and have.

I wouldn't even bother with containers, I'd just heel them in somewhere and let it go at that, which I've done many times when I couldn't get around to planting a new shipment ASAP or wanted to rearrange some parts of my beds.

As lavandula said, daylilies are just about indestructible, and I could tell you the unintended abuse I've put some of them through, but won't, and they came out with flying colors.