Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old June 14, 2014   #1
Salaam
Tomatovillian™

Default Anything wrong with these plum trees

Hello all,

We have inherited (recently moved in to this house) two what I think are plum trees. The fruit is still green, and I notice something like blossom end rot on some of them. Also, the branches seem to have some sort of growth on them. Are the trees okay? (I've attached photos.)

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CAM00117.jpg (119.4 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg CAM00116.jpg (163.1 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg CAM00120.jpg (202.1 KB, 57 views)
Salaam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2014   #2
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

I had something similar on my plum tree last year and decided that it was Bacterial Canker. I cut the limbs above the bad stuff and burned it.

Here's a link http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=86

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2014   #3
beeman
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salaam View Post
Hello all,
We have inherited (recently moved in to this house) two what I think are plum trees. The fruit is still green, and I notice something like blossom end rot on some of them. Also, the branches seem to have some sort of growth on them. Are the trees okay? (I've attached photos.)
Thanks!
That's Black Knot. If you do nothing it will kill the tree within a couple of years.
If you want to save it, then trim out all limbs etc that have the knots to 6 inches below each one, clean your pruners with a household bleach solution. I cup per gallon, after each cut.
Spray the whole tree, to run off, with a good fungicide asap. Then in the dormant period spray with dormant oil and lime sulphur. That 'blossom end rot' is in fact more Black Knots, and they will drip more infection, best get them off.
My Mount Royal got it bad two years ago, I did as described, and today it's healthy again.

Last edited by beeman; June 14, 2014 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Addition
beeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2014   #4
Salaam
Tomatovillian™

Thanks very much. Yes, it looks like black knot. I'll have to think about whether I can do this myself or if I can afford the services of an arborist!
Old June 15, 2014   #5
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

It doesn't look like a very big tree. I have one of those fold-up saws, and did the job myself on my plum tree!

Linda
Old June 15, 2014   #6
Salaam
Tomatovillian™

It's about 15 or so feet high. But it's the spraying I'm worried about not knowing how to do, not the chopping.
Old June 15, 2014   #7
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Cutting off the bad stuff is the most important thing. Get that nasty stuff off and the tree will be better. I didn't spray mine with Dormant Oil spray because I'm not here in the winter. It is fine!

Linda