Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old January 30, 2014   #1
socalgardengal
Tomatovillian™

Default 2 seedlings from one seed..Citrus and Loquat question

I got my hands on a few Meyer lemons and was taking the seeds out to sprout them. I looked online about how to save them for later and read the had to be fresh. Anyways... I came across a GW post that said that only the seeds that sprout 2 seedlings from it will grow true. Is this right? I also came across another GW post about it being the same for loquats. I do have about a dozen loquat seedlings that are about 5 months old. They fell in a potted plant and sprouted. A few that have 2 seedlings growing from one seed. Which ones should I save? Thanks
socalgardengal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2014   #2
Hermitian
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalgardengal View Post
I got my hands on a few Meyer lemons and was taking the seeds out to sprout them. I looked online about how to save them for later and read the had to be fresh. Anyways... I came across a GW post that said that only the seeds that sprout 2 seedlings from it will grow true. Is this right? I also came across another GW post about it being the same for loquats. I do have about a dozen loquat seedlings that are about 5 months old. They fell in a potted plant and sprouted. A few that have 2 seedlings growing from one seed. Which ones should I save? Thanks
The short answer is yes.

A better answer is that Eureka Lemon and Big Jim Loquat are excellent cultivars that you can buy inexpensively in 5-gallon size, saving you years of time and expense before your first full crop.