Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 17, 2016   #1
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Default Plant management

I see several people asking if you should prune or not? I have had the best results with a single stem,and I have tried no pruning and everything in between. I can manage my plants better, I can grow them closer together, and the result is less disease, much better fruit set, and much more yield in a given space.
As a truss matures its fruit I trim the leaves off, and when the plant gets taller than I can reach, I lower the plant, this keeps production continuous, and fruit uniform in size. In a greenhouse I just use drop strings attached to the trusses above, and tomato clips to attach the plant to the string. For outside you have to build something to attach drop strings from to do this method, and it is worth the time. In short, if you want more fruit, proper pruning, one or two branches, and proper fertilization methods, will help you achieve much better results.
You will also find the quality and taste of your fruit improves with the health of the plant, disease, and nutrient deficiency, results in less than satisfactory results in my experience.
Good luck with your maters, I hope this helps some of you who wonder.
Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SANY1231.JPG (384.9 KB, 676 views)
File Type: jpg SANY1228.JPG (383.3 KB, 673 views)
File Type: jpg SANY1225.JPG (379.2 KB, 673 views)
File Type: jpg SANY1224.JPG (378.8 KB, 673 views)
File Type: jpg SANY1218.JPG (363.8 KB, 672 views)
File Type: jpg SANY1211.JPG (375.0 KB, 672 views)
File Type: jpg SANY1220.JPG (374.1 KB, 674 views)
File Type: jpg SANY1219.JPG (373.3 KB, 669 views)
File Type: jpg SANY1216.JPG (355.6 KB, 671 views)

Last edited by AKmark; May 18, 2016 at 01:05 AM.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote