Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 10, 2020   #16
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

That picture is as unclear as can be. I guess it is a mummy, so a wasp got to it. One needs some serious amount of wasps to take care of the amount of aphids that can grow, I had a swarm of tiny black wasps (these are the ones you need) one year on my currant bush and still tons of aphids.
In the spring I just stay on top of them with neem or other oils emulsion. I have few plants, I see a leaf or tip with aphids, bam, so they haven't been a problem.
They usually get much worse in autumn, the plants now have a ton more leaves, and you don't really know when to expect them.
If you want to go the more toxic route, use some modern neonicotinoid which are supposed to not affect bees (supposed, but still better than proven toxic).
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2020   #17
KathyDC
Tomatovillian™

Yes it's a pretty terrible resolution, really can't see much at all.

In any case, since I sprayed I haven't really seen anything. Maybe one or two of those little tan sesame seed-looking things, so I haven't sprayed again - but definitely will if I see more.
KathyDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2020   #18
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notostraca View Post
Aphids don't lay eggs, as they are hermaphrodites that give live birth to clones of themselves.
Mostly, yes, but aphids can also lay fertilized eggs. Ants will "farm " aphids by digging up a fertilized egg, attaching it to a plant, and then guarding it until it hatches. The ants then collect the sticky sap that aphids excrete. I have had this happen with peppers, but not tomatoes.

As far as cheap treatments, put some dawn dish soap in a bucket and spray a hose in it to make a foam. That foam will kill any bug on contact. Then hose it off. It is easier the smaller the plant is, but the foam gets up under the leaves better than a spray.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote