Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 18, 2023   #1
Balr14
Tomatovillian™

Default Tomatoes not getting ripe and other strange stuff

First of all, I made a mistake planting, I used the wrong kind of soil for my containers... trying an idea that didn't work. As a result, the plants did not grow well, lot of leaf curl. The fruit that they set grew rather large, which was good. Then the plant roots hit the reservoir in the containers and started setting fruit all over the place... still on scraggly looking plants.

So, today I have lots of tomatoes, some that are growing well, some growing slowly. But they are staying green and it's getting near September. Should I do anything or be concerned?
Balr14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2023   #2
Patihum
Tomatovillian™

As late in the season as it is I think I'd call it good and just make note of what NOT to do next year. Besides you're getting maters which is what counts!
Patihum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2023   #3
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

My woes began with straw mulch that had been sprayed with what I think was 2-4-D. That killed about half the tomatoes and severely did its job of growth inhibitor. What survived got set back about a month with about half the production of fruit.

Most plants now have tomatoes although fewer and a bit smaller but we are just now seeing the ripening of a few. Not an ideal situation but at least there are some to eat. The survivors are really tough. Now if they can ripen before frost hits.
Old August 20, 2023   #4
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

Sounds alot like Balr14 post above for me. Not sure but alot of leaf curl and low production from the start. Many plants I put out never outgrew the leaf curl and some not 1 tomoato! Weird year which I attribute to my mixing some used potting soil into my seed starter that possibly had some kind of Weed Killer in it?
Next year all sterilized seed starting containers and soil!!
tryno12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2023   #5
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

Lesson Learned!!
Old August 21, 2023   #6
Balr14
Tomatovillian™

Here's a followup:

I talked to several of my neighbors and the tomatoes growing large and not getting ripe is happening to everyone I talked to. In fact, I'm doing much better than most in that I have picked at least 400 cherry and 50 regular tomatoes of different varieties that were ripe. The others I talked to have not been able to pick any. It is very strange. The weather has actually been better this year than previous years.
Old August 21, 2023   #7
CrazyAboutOrchids
Tomatovillian™

My garden here in CT is about 3 weeks behind - at least I think so and I've been gardening here for 15+ years. We had a late frost and had periods of heat that I think affected my plants.

My peppers loved it - just an amazing crop of jalapenos this year. My beets and cukes really rebelled - worst year. Squash, beans, and especially tomatoes seems to have been stunted for the longest time. I'm now getting a great crop off most tomatoes - some just didn't like the conditions this year at all.

NOAA just released their fall forecast last year and I am hopeful growing conditions last a bit longer than usual - seems from their forecast I might have a chance since they are predicting a continued strong El Nino hanging around till early next year.
CrazyAboutOrchids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2023   #8
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyAboutOrchids View Post
My garden here in CT is about 3 weeks behind - at least I think so and I've been gardening here for 15+ years. We had a late frost and had periods of heat that I think affected my plants.

My peppers loved it - just an amazing crop of jalapenos this year. My beets and cukes really rebelled - worst year. Squash, beans, and especially tomatoes seems to have been stunted for the longest time. I'm now getting a great crop off most tomatoes - some just didn't like the conditions this year at all.

NOAA just released their fall forecast last year and I am hopeful growing conditions last a bit longer than usual - seems from their forecast I might have a chance since they are predicting a continued strong El Nino hanging around till early next year.
My Peppers are doing excellent too in all this HOT Weather. Planting Native American Corn in between my Tomatoes was the best Ideal. I just wish I planted Corn around every Heirloom Tomato Plant, Amen!
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2023   #9
Balr14
Tomatovillian™

We had several periods of days of dense smoke from the Canadian wild fires. I wonder if that affected tomato plants?
Old August 23, 2023   #10
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

Mrs. Justice , what good did the corn planted between tomato plants do for you ?
Old August 24, 2023   #11
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

Yeah someone in Michigan mentioned similar, thought it was smoke related.

I know it was late frost here, and the ground stayed cool for long time, we had some smoke, and the starts were sort of rough under LED lights. I have nice enough tomatoes now, but they were late.

Most of all for me, I think soil temps being low for a long while is the #1 cause of lateness. But I'm glad I've never experienced Aug 24th, late. That is rough.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2023   #12
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryno12 View Post
Mrs. Justice , what good did the corn planted between tomato plants do for you ?
They provided the needed shade in HOT Temperatures over 105. My Amish Paste did well each year so I did not put Native American Corn around them I lost almost all my Crops, with only 3 plants living.
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2023   #13
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

Thank you,
Understood, Shade!
Old August 29, 2023   #14
Balr14
Tomatovillian™

Another follow-up:

We had two hot (90s) sunny days last week and the tomatoes started to ripen shortly after. I have never seen anything like this.