Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old February 23, 2015   #16
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Don't take my word for it as I have no idea what your soil has in it but it looks to me like it could use some fertilizer.

If so at this stage I would give them half the recommended dose of what the package says as I know what you are using.
You should see results in about 3 days.

Worth
Update:

Worth, it worked! When I was looked for the MG general purpose plant food, I found some MG Tomato plant food in with it. Having short-term memory problems bites, but sometimes, finding a gold nugget stashed away is rewarding. It's 18-18-21. I bottom fed them a couple days ago and they have responded very favorably.

No pictures until next week. They are growing like weeds. I'm not sure if they will have pencil-thick stalks by then, but some are about half way there.

When they get 12" tall, I'll be asking about stuff like pruning. I'll start posting L - W - and H. I've never pruned a tomato plant other than braches that grow back to the ground. Something else to learn, but only as it happens. Right now is too soon. I've taught many people how to do things "Hands On" at the time of need. For me, that is when I need to learn too.

AlS
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2015   #17
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

March 3, 2015

It is trimming and watering day. I'll share more pics later today, but first, I have a question: Is it normal for low branches to die like in the two photos?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0027.JPG (62.6 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0028.JPG (60.5 KB, 136 views)
Old March 3, 2015   #18
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Yes it is as long as the rest of the plant isn't dieing.

Looking forward to pictures.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2015   #19
Hunt-Grow-Cook
Tomatovillian™

Fairly normal I think, as long as the rest looks normal, as Worth stated. Almost like a snake shedding its skin to allow for new growth. I tend to pull the lower branches anyways and try to do so before I plant out. I will plant peppers and tomatoes deep and will plant just below the next set of leaves.

Last edited by Hunt-Grow-Cook; March 3, 2015 at 06:18 PM.
Hunt-Grow-Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2015   #20
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

More pics. I'll add info during edit.HNI_0029.JPG The new growth has outgrown the original odd limb/leaf.

HNI_0030.JPG I'm thinking it would ok to cut the original odd stem?

HNI_0031.JPGThe top looked great but something broke it off. I may have brushed it against the light fixture? Anyway, I'm thinking this one is done for?

HNI_0035.JPG Getting closer to pencil thick.

HNI_0039.JPG The center is brighter because of the light above it. Was trying to get a volume picture.

HNI_0034.JPG These are the Japanese Black Trifile plants with two different type leaves.

Last edited by AlittleSalt; March 3, 2015 at 05:55 PM.
Old March 3, 2015   #21
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Thanks for the answers. I was thinking it was normal. I know some plants lose their lower stems/leaves while growing out in the garden. I just wasn't sure about transplants in solo cups.

Worth, I took more pictures, but they are just too blurry. I'll ask my wife to help me learn how to use her Galaxy Tab 3. It takes a lot better pictures.
Old March 4, 2015   #22
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Dont write off the topped tomato plant yet it will grow from the crotch of the leaves.

Worth
Old March 4, 2015   #23
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Yesterday, I watered, took pictures, measured, etc. The blurry pictures I didn't post were showing measurements. The pics were awful and most of the plants were at or just under 12 inches tall. I raised the lights two inches and moved the plants back to the lit area. Turned off the lights at 10pm as always.

This morning, I couldn't flip the light switch on because overnight, most of the plants had grown two or more inches. In the pics below, the tallest plant is the Sungold plant that I thought was pictured before on this thread. It has my monitor in the background. It is 16 inches tall today. I did have to move the lights up to get the pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150304_102020.jpg (501.6 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg 20150304_102041.jpg (577.8 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg 20150304_102341.jpg (515.8 KB, 124 views)

Last edited by AlittleSalt; March 4, 2015 at 12:39 PM.
Old March 4, 2015   #24
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

This was a few weeks ago. Sungold.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150212_113143.jpg (396.1 KB, 125 views)
Old March 4, 2015   #25
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Salt this is great I am so excited for you.

Worth
Old March 7, 2015   #26
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

everything looks great Robert! too bad I never found those dollar tree trays. I'll be using sterlite totes instead. Are your planting cups 18oz?
Old March 7, 2015   #27
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Most of them are 18oz. We had some 16oz cups left over from last July 4, so I used those up first. I only found those tubs twice. They sold out in 2 days and never got any more in. I wish I had bought more of them now.
Old March 7, 2015   #28
Misfit
Tomatovillian™

Nice looking start for your growing season!

-Jimmy
Misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2015   #29
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Here is a picture of what I started seeds in and what I transplanted them into. From cells to 2" pots to solo cups. The little 2" pots are from transplants we bought years before becoming a Tomato obsessed Tomatovillian.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0081.JPG (74.2 KB, 97 views)
Old March 23, 2015   #30
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Your plants are coming along very nicely ALittleSalt. Looks like your going to have a lot of nice tomatoes to eat this year. Hope they get bigger and better for you. : )
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote