Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old February 13, 2013   #1
Mark0820
Tomatovillian™

Default Butternut Rogosa Violina "Gioia"

I've read all the positive reviews about this winter squash on Baker Creek's seed site. Since it is a butternut, I am wondering how different the taste is from Waltham butternut squash? I would be interested in any comments from people who have tried it.
Mark0820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2013   #2
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

I haven't grown it, so I can't comment on the taste. However, you should be aware that it's a big squash--like, really big. Here's a picture at Tania's site with a kitchen knife for size comparison. big squash are fun, but IMO, they're not as practical for culinary use.
fortyonenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2013   #3
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Haven't grown Waltham, but Rugosa is worth it's weight in gold... almost.
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2013   #4
Mark0820
Tomatovillian™

41 - Thanks for the photo. I knew it was larger than Waltham, but wasn't sure how large. The one in Tania's photo is really big.

Fred - Thanks for the feedback. I'll have to give it a try.
Old February 13, 2013   #5
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

Mark, I grew Violina Rugosa and fell in love with it. Actually, I had purchased one a few years ago at a farmers' market, and it took me a long time to find out what it was called as they just told me Italian Butternut. It is a very big vine, but for me it was productive, and the squash are out of this world, sweeter than regular Butternuts. Roasted slices on a baking sheet carmelize on their own and taste sweet like candy. Makes a great pie and soup too.

I made the mistake of not growing it last year and regretted it. Let me know if you want a few seeds, I can send you some as I still have some left (2 year old seed). Oh, and its a really good keeper too.

Here's a photo of one of mine
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0337.jpg (308.3 KB, 75 views)

Last edited by lakelady; February 13, 2013 at 08:39 PM.
lakelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2013   #6
Dak
Tomatovillian™

The taste of violina rugosa is wonderful. It does produce a huge squash and preparation is some work, not the easiest to peel or even just to cut it in half, but the taste makes it all worth it. It has a uniquely rich flavor that was missing in the smaller butternut I grew instead. I didn't grow it last year, I grew Waltham and like lakelady, I regretted it. The Waltham tasted flavorless in comparison to me. The seeds are delicious roasted with a little sea salt.
Dak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2013   #7
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

You're all making me wish I had room in the garden for squash! Maybe I'll need to add a separate "pumpkin patch" somewhere in the back yard...
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2013   #8
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
You're all making me wish I had room in the garden for squash! Maybe I'll need to add a separate "pumpkin patch" somewhere in the back yard...

Piece of cake! Lay down a bunch of cardboard and/or news papers and cover with mulch. Bingo! Instant garden anywhere you want it!

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2013   #9
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron View Post
Piece of cake! Lay down a bunch of cardboard and/or news papers and cover with mulch. Bingo! Instant garden anywhere you want it!
Hmmmm.... It would mean less grass to mow.

Seriously though, how long does it takes a squash like this to mature? If I were to start it from seed in June and plant it out in early July after I pull my garlic, does anyone know if would I stand any chance of getting ripe squash before first frost in mid-to-late October? I know we have many PYO pumpkin places that leave their pumpkin crop out on the vine almost right up to Halloween, so I'm guessing I could do the same with winter squash. I just don't know if that would be long enough.

I guess I need to go do some research and possibly go hunt down a seed source!
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2013   #10
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

Baker Creek Lists it at 100 days which is typical for winter squash and pumpkins. I think what you propose would work. Both Baker Creek and Tatianna has it.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2013   #11
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Seeds From Italy has bulk quantities, and I highly recommend their seeds of this variety.

http://www.growitalian.com/winter-sq...ternut-145-15/
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2013   #12
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

It's better than Butternut...but then what isn't?

I like Tahitian Melon Squash even better than this one, though. It's sweeter than the Violina, though still not rich tasting like most mschatas.

I had one 23 lb TMS last year, 3 squash totaling 40 lbs on one vine. The 23 pounder was very easy to seed, roast, peal and freeze. I've yet to touch the other two.

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2013   #13
Mark0820
Tomatovillian™

Gary - Thanks for the recommendation! I had never heard of Tahitian Melon squash until your post. They look like Pennsylvania Long Neck squash.

My parents used to grow a long neck squash, and I assumed it was Pennsylvania Long Neck because I didn't know there were any other long neck squash. Now, I'm not sure what it was.
Old February 15, 2013   #14
Alpinejs
Tomatovillian™

Location: Alpine, Calif. in winter. Sandpoint Lake, Ont. Canada summers

I have become seriously addicted to winter squash. Not real keen on summer squash though.
So far, my favorite has to be Kabocha squash, but after reading this thread, I find that I
have a few seeds for violina rugosa but thought it was just another butternut even though I
am also a fan of the Waltham, unlike a previous poster So, my current love list is Kabocha,
Acorn, Waltham and Hubbard with violina likely to take over 2nd place this summer. Spaghetti
squash depends on what one does to doctor it up with flavoring. Pesto is great and I am
not wild about using a good italian spaghetti sauce, but better than just plain. What a great
summer to look forward to with heirloom tomatoes and winter squash.
Alpinejs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2013   #15
peppero
Tomatovillian™

i only discovered winter squash a few years ago and really like it. my experience has been limited to only a few varieties but i am expanding my horizons this year. it sure tastes good . jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote