Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old January 20, 2008   #1
cdntomato
Tomatovillian™

Default Potatoes rec'd in vivo

Tom, I buried a question for you under the bear droppings...

In accessing Canuck-bred or heritage potatoes from PGRC, I would be receiving material in vivo instead of tubers.

What are the pros, cons and issues with which I should be concerned? Similarities to sweet potato growing at play here?

Thanks heaps!

Jennifer, a green potato
Old January 20, 2008   #2
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Jennifer,

Sorry for the delay. I had a long response to you earlier and shelved it because I went off on a red herring on your use of the term "in vivo" and never edited the typos.
Quote:
heritage potatoes from PGRC, I would be receiving material in vivo instead of tubers.
I have received potatoes from Canada as plantlets (meristem) rooted cuttings in test tubes. It is called in vitro rather than in vivo. More on my take on in vivo later. You usec the acronym PGRC (Plant Gene Resources. of Canada) and that threw me off for a second.

The person I talk to in Canada when I want to access potato cultivars is Jane Percy in Fredericton, N.B. who edits the Potato Gene Resources Newsletter.

Receiving plantlets will test your horticultural skills to the max. If this is the only way to get potatoes, so be it, but what a pain! I know there are detailed instructions on the 'Net but I won't post those links today.

I have received plantlets from the various institutions here in the United States. It is best left up to experts who can handle the tiny cuttings since the cuttings are like little green strings with a few tiny leaves and maybe a half inch single root.

Tom

Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2008   #3
cdntomato
Tomatovillian™

I have to laugh. What a goof-up on my side. Vivo versus vitro. I knew looking at my writing that something was wrong, but didn't take the time to check. Both times. Sigh.

Okay, I'm looking trouble in the eye, am I. If it's the only way to go though...

My background is in archaeology/paleoethnobotany and book/paper conservation. Picky wicky stuff I'm used to handling, but if I have a choice...

Have you worked with Garrett Pittinger? I'd be willing travel to Will Bonsall but would still be faced with importation nightmares. Will's contributed much to the N.B. branch of PGRC, so there must be a way...

Thanks, Tom!

Jennifer

Last edited by cdntomato; February 3, 2008 at 11:21 AM.
cdntomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2008   #4
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

There seems to be an isolation of interested parties when it comes to potatoes. Little or no communication is the norm. I would hope to change that.

Will Bonsall
is connected with old varieties of potatoes.Garrett Pittinger, as I understand it is a past president of SODC and has provided about 40 potato cultivars may(along with Will) as well be total strangers to me I know virtually nothing of their work other than Will is not accessible but through the SSE. No phone. I have wanted to talk with him for years.

Never talked with them, but I don't think they potato breeders, just collectors.

It would be interesting to find out if they know about me.

Tom Wagner
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2008   #5
cdntomato
Tomatovillian™

Gotcha. Completely different spheres. I cannot imagine Will not knowing about your work however; Garrett is another story.

Jennifer, hoping that communication channels will open in future.
Old January 20, 2008   #6
kktwahoo
Tomatovillian™

Jennifer,

That's okay, I was hoping you had something new for us! I am a veterinarian, so understood the terminology just fine!

"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." From In Defense of Food, by Michael Pollan
kktwahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2008   #7
cdntomato
Tomatovillian™

K&K, and it's my peripherial work with animal and medical-related stuff that's gotten me into trouble here. Sigh.

Thanks for understanding!
Jennifer