Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old February 19, 2012   #16
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

I am intrigued with the CSA (community supported agriculture) model that has really taken off down here. For an upfront fee (running about $250 - $300 for 16 weeks) people pickup weekly baskets of what is ripe. They share the bounty (& the failures) with the grower. People are mad for the weekly baskets of produce (though I saw friends get baskets over flowing with greens they did not eat or even freeze & then nothing but jalapenos but they signed up again LOL). Seems like maters, peppers, eggplant, squash & basil would do well in this manner.

Having consumer pick up is vital so you aren't schlepping product all over & may result in better insurance coverage for you (selling on your property versus trucking it about).
stormymater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2012   #17
biscgolf
Tomatovillian™

i grow produce for a living and have at least some experience with pretty much everything in this thread thus far.

random thoughts:
heirloom tomatoes- i'm growing far less this year than i have in the past- they were a great income producer for a few years but the supply has caught up to the demand in my market at least. 3 years ago they were difficult to find at farmer's markets locally, now there are probably 15 vendors at my markets with them. couple this with the fact that they store so poorly and that the plants are generally not the strongest out there and the figures cease to add up.

my tomatoes for 2012 are going to be san marzano's, juliets, and a variety of cherries and grapes with only a few larger tomatoes in the mix.

superhot peppers- loads of money to be made with these provided you are willing to ship them. as mark said, you can get darn near a buck a pepper online for them. i'm growing roughly 1500 plants of superhots this year out of roughly 4000 pepper plants in total spread over 100+ varieties. i also agree that the douglah is the hottest thing i have ever been exposed to- much moreso than the bhuts or scorpions- tastes like hell though in my opinion.

csa's- i operate a csa from my farm- money early in the season is fantastic to have but it has it's drawbacks as well. i think i tend to overcompensate to my csa customers when things go poorly on the farm. it is difficult to truly make them share in the failures- this is likely just misplaced guilt on my part. i also tend to get tired of the csa as the season nears it's end- money has been spent months ago but you are still providing product- gets to be like being an indentured servant.
biscgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2012   #18
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keger View Post
mark,

I hear what you are saying, my grandfather was from Italy, and where he was from in the country they raised everything themselves, so I basicall started learning how to grow stuff and get the knack for it since I was 3. One thing people tell me here, I basically am in Houston, is that they arent too concerned about the variety, they just want home grown taste and care. I guess thats one advantage being right next to a monster city. As for how it works, we'll see. But I do like your idea with the kids, that can be something that stays with them forever, it did with me. In my opinion learning a work ethic is about the most important learning there is.
Both of my parents were from rural farm families of 9 kids each, putting up their own food was just what you did there, so I grew up that way as well. In my 20's and early 30's I worked as a chef, and really got to appreciate the difference good ingredients made, so I started gardening as soon as I had a place to plant something.

Where I am the season is so short local heirloom tomatoes aren't available for long at all, so I'm trying a new approach this year putting out mostly midseason varieties under low tunnels a month earlier than normal. I figure if it works I may have tomatoes available several weeks before average, and get a jump ahead that way, plus I should have a longer season to work with. We'll see if it works.
Boutique Tomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2012   #19
bughunter99
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormymater View Post
I am intrigued with the CSA (community supported agriculture) model that has really taken off down here. For an upfront fee (running about $250 - $300 for 16 weeks) people pickup weekly baskets of what is ripe. They share the bounty (& the failures) with the grower. People are mad for the weekly baskets of produce (though I saw friends get baskets over flowing with greens they did not eat or even freeze & then nothing but jalapenos but they signed up again LOL). Seems like maters, peppers, eggplant, squash & basil would do well in this manner.

Having consumer pick up is vital so you aren't schlepping product all over & may result in better insurance coverage for you (selling on your property versus trucking it about).

CSA memberships that serve Chicago are charging $650 per share for 18 weeks. There used to be one that I really liked which included the option to work the farm. For a slight reduction in costs you took part in weeding, harvesting, soil preparation etc. I loved it because it gave my kids a real taste of what farming was and it was a lot of fun hanging with fellow members as we worked. I wish there was something like that now. I would join in a heartbeat for the social aspect. The produce would be a bonus.
bughunter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2012   #20
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscgolf View Post
superhot peppers- loads of money to be made with these provided you are willing to ship them. as mark said, you can get darn near a buck a pepper online for them. i'm growing roughly 1500 plants of superhots this year out of roughly 4000 pepper plants in total spread over 100+ varieties. i also agree that the douglah is the hottest thing i have ever been exposed to- much moreso than the bhuts or scorpions- tastes like hell though in my opinion.
That's a lotta peppers! The post office is going to love you. I'll be interested to hear how the venture works out for you.

I was planning on growing primarily for pure seed this year with isolation cages and starting to sell seeds in the fall, but it's sure tempting to start a hundred each of the ones with big numbers that everyone is going to be looking for now, it's not much later than I started everything last year. Problem is the kids act like they're handling radioactive waste when I ask them just to bring me a bucket with peppers in it, I can't imagine them actually picking them. Although if prices are what they were last year I think that might motivate them...
Old February 19, 2012   #21
whistler
Tomatovillian™

Smile

I'm thinking about starting to grow some of the superhots this season. For those who grow them, please recommend some seed sources. I checked out peppermania.com, but did not see all of the superhots mentioned in the above posts.

Also, what superhot pepper varieties are your big sellers? Thanks!
whistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2012   #22
biscgolf
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by marktutt View Post
That's a lotta peppers! The post office is going to love you. I'll be interested to hear how the venture works out for you.

I was planning on growing primarily for pure seed this year with isolation cages and starting to sell seeds in the fall, but it's sure tempting to start a hundred each of the ones with big numbers that everyone is going to be looking for now, it's not much later than I started everything last year. Problem is the kids act like they're handling radioactive waste when I ask them just to bring me a bucket with peppers in it, I can't imagine them actually picking them. Although if prices are what they were last year I think that might motivate them...
i'm going in the seed biz in the fall as well. i can isolate about 10 varieties geographically by planting on the fringes of corn fields on the farm and am going to cage as many varieties as i can through the course of the season as well- i've been building cages this winter out of pvc and am going to cover them with shade cloth until i run out of it and then window screen.

dehydrators will run 24/7 from july through november most likely. window for shipping fresh pods is probably only september-mid november but dried pods can go all winter long. i also have a wholesale outlet for a big chunk of the fresh pods- $20/lb is the likely price there.

the guy i used to be in business with has 5 kids under the age of 11- last summer they came out and all 5 wound up with jolokia oil on them somewhere... everyone was screaming when they got in the van to leave including my former partner... hilarious.
Old February 19, 2012   #23
biscgolf
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by whistler View Post
I'm thinking about starting to grow some of the superhots this season. For those who grow them, please recommend some seed sources. I checked out peppermania.com, but did not see all of the superhots mentioned in the above posts.

whatever is the "hottest" at the moment will always be in demand so the trinidad scorpion moruga blend will be this year's darling although rumor has it it won't stay on the perch for long. i had very good luck selling both trinidad scorpions and bhut jolokias through various forums online last fall. none of them sell particularly well at farmer's markets or to restaurants beyond the novelty factor- you definitely need the broader audience you can reach online.

seed vendors:
oldbarnnursery.com is a reputable seller with reasonable prices. although i have not ordered from them personally i have heard their service is excellent. they are currently running a deal where you can purchase the moruga seed and they throw in "brain strain" seed for free. (there is currently debate over whether the 2 are one and the same so they want people to be able to grow them out and see for themselves)

pepperlover.com has a huge selection of the trinidad peppers and good prices and a reputation for excellent service. she also tends to toss in some freebies when you order.

refiningfirechiles.com is the guy behind the testing of the morugas- he has a very good selection and excellent service but his prices are higher than most.

i would also gladly send you out some seed of varieties i have if you like- no morugas here (put them all in the dirt) but plenty of scorpions, seven pots, bhuts, and nagas... pm me your address if you want.
Old February 19, 2012   #24
mikeinsc
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by whistler View Post

Www.thehippyseedcompany.com Neil has loads of video reviews on youtube. Typically one video per pepper.

Www.semillas.de

Www.pepperlover.com

New Mexico State University Chili Pepper Institute

AjiJoe ( member of www.thehotpepper.com) quite a large selection, well known. I've purchased from him.
Old February 19, 2012   #25
mikeinsc
Tomatovillian™

Bisc,
What are some of the varieties of tomato that you grow?

I have quite a few varities that I am growing again this year that I am mostly growing for seedling sales. Around here, I believe that most people are only wanting a round, red tomato. However, I am close enough to Charleston that I think heirlooms would sell easily.

For the bulk of my roadside sales I am going to be counting on BHN 640, red cherry, black cherry, purple russian, genovese costoluto and brandywine to be the tomatoes that will have people stopping. Do you have experience selling any of these?
Old February 19, 2012   #26
Petronius_II
Tomatovillian™

IMAO the Chile Pepper Institute is the best place to get seeds for Bhut Jolokia because they're the people who brought the variety to the USA from India, and you can tell people "this is the authentic original."

http://www.chilepepperinstitute.org/...her_varieties/
Petronius_II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2012   #27
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscgolf View Post
whatever is the "hottest" at the moment will always be in demand so the trinidad scorpion moruga blend will be this year's darling although rumor has it it won't stay on the perch for long. i had very good luck selling both trinidad scorpions and bhut jolokias through various forums online last fall. none of them sell particularly well at farmer's markets or to restaurants beyond the novelty factor- you definitely need the broader audience you can reach online.

seed vendors:
oldbarnnursery.com is a reputable seller with reasonable prices. although i have not ordered from them personally i have heard their service is excellent. they are currently running a deal where you can purchase the moruga seed and they throw in "brain strain" seed for free. (there is currently debate over whether the 2 are one and the same so they want people to be able to grow them out and see for themselves)

pepperlover.com has a huge selection of the trinidad peppers and good prices and a reputation for excellent service. she also tends to toss in some freebies when you order.

refiningfirechiles.com is the guy behind the testing of the morugas- he has a very good selection and excellent service but his prices are higher than most.

i would also gladly send you out some seed of varieties i have if you like- no morugas here (put them all in the dirt) but plenty of scorpions, seven pots, bhuts, and nagas... pm me your address if you want.
I'll second pepperlover.com, she's active on the pepper forums and has a great selection and good service.

One seller on ebay who is actually quite good is Dave Stehnike of Dave's Dragon Dust. He sells under the name asiasgarden. One thing I have noticed about the things I've gotten from Dave is he seems to be selecting for productivity. Lots of these pepper varieties are not terribly stable or uniform, some of the stuff I've gotten from well known hobby growers may be closer to the original landrace varieties but the 7-pots I got from him last year blew away most of the others I've grown in terms of pepper size and and number of peppers set per plant.

I guess you can select like that when you measure your pepper patch in acres.

Last edited by Boutique Tomatoes; February 20, 2012 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Added clarification.
Old February 20, 2012   #28
Granite26
Tomatovillian™

Many years ago I was a pepper head. Now you all are sending me back that direction. Seems to be a much broader variety out there these days. Its learning peppers all over. And here I thought I was done buying seeds for this year! Geez thanks...I think
Granite26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2012   #29
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

The gold rush mentality with the new record holder is a bit infectious. I've read about so many people starting loads of TS Morouga seeds I keep going downstairs and estimating how many seeds I have. Then I remember that I'd have to pick and process all of them myself in addition to the varieties I already have started and I put the seeds back on the shelf. I did go buy 20 more seed starting inserts yesterday though, so I'm still toying with the idea.
Old February 20, 2012   #30
Petronius_II
Tomatovillian™

I hope y'all will keep in mind, there's still an enormous untapped potential for medium-hot and so-called ornamental peppers. (I dislike the term "ornamental" because it implies the peppers have no culinary value, which is usually far from the truth.)

The Chile Pepper Institute's selection of ornamentals is quite good, and if any part of one's projected income includes selling starter plants for transplanting, one would do well to take a look.

I'm hoping to try growing Hot Portugal for the first time this year. Found some inexpensive HP through Ebay. I think I'm going to get something like a cross between a New Mexico pod type and a "large thick cayenne" type, IOW maybe even a NM pod type that's hotter than Barker's Hot, if a bit slimmer. That would be something a lot of gardeners could, like, you know, actually cook with.
Petronius_II is offline   Reply With Quote