Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 17, 2013   #16
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

For what its worth (no pun intended) my Orange Russian fruit look just like that right now.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2013   #17
bower
Tomatovillian™

Hope it's delicious!

I set my Mom up with some tomatoes she grew indoors. and kept them going for a whole year over winter.... last fall after that her potted plants were pretty much done but one day before the frost she went out and found a volunteer in the garden. How that seed got from her tomato or compost discards into the garden bed is a complete mystery. She promptly rescued the seedling and potted it up, and it lived in a cold dark room behind closed curtains (I kid you not), the poor thing bore a couple fruit in spite of that but after all the adversity it, well, most of the leaves were purple and brown. It was pretty sad. It must've sensed summer happening outside and lo, put on another fruit, and she asked me to help her move the poor thing outdoors. Which we've done now, and it's putting on new shoots at the bottom and flowers down there to boot.

I think we better save seeds from the brave volunteer, no plant ever wanted to give its gift so much.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2013   #18
cythaenopsis
Tomatovillian™

Russian Orange Oxheart by any chance? If so, that's a REALLY peculiar find for the wild. Looking forward to seeing those fruit pics!
Old July 17, 2013   #19
jennifer28
Two-faced Drama Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stvrob View Post
My daughter has been growing huge catnip plants. We have several cats around and they dont seem to have a clue whats growing right under their noses. She says she's gonna put it in baggies and sell it at the farmers market.
Anyway, for the cat lovers...Catnip is easy to grow and the cats just love it!
Oh the neighborhood cats find it in my yard. I think my cats start things off by rolling in it first. It springs up every year but gets chewed and flattened too, LOL
jennifer28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2013   #20
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

We've already had lots of beg red or pink fruit from it.
This plant just keeps on going.

It should be dead now but it isn't.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote