Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 24, 2007   #16
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluelytes
CAROLYN,
Would you by chance have that listing in another format?? I am unable to open xls,
Thanx either way.

Regards;
bluelytes
If you're on a PC, google "Excel Viewer". It's a 10 meg download from Microsoft and then you can play back Excel files.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2007   #17
GrowSeeds
Tomatovillian™

Location: Somewhere in the Universe on planet Earth in the USA in Alabama - zone 8

Excel Viewer 2003 (a free viewer for pc)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=EN
when you open in the viewer you can copy what you like to the clipboard and then paste into notepad (as that will stripe the blocks and give just the text but save the file after the paste then re-open into another word type program)
Hope this helps.
Also if you want to create a pdf there is a freeware pdf maker that I use called Primo and you can print from the free viewer to Primo and save as a pdf
Primo here
http://www.primopdf.com/
If you need a freeware word type program for the pc I use Jarte the free version here
http://www.jarte.com/index.html

Quote:
Suze Posted: 24 Jan 2007 06:37 pm Post subject: Re: SSE Gene Bank Tomato Varieties

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's a list of all the varieties in the '07 Yearbook, according to the message that was posted.

Quote:
I would like to thanks all that have help with this project.
The SSE (Seed Savers Exchange) said they would help with just a list that can be shared with others. I got the list this afternoon.

"There are 4227 different tomatoes listed in the 2007 Yearbook, and that is what is in this list. They are alphabetical within the different colors."
That looks like a post I did - if so then the excel file is from the 2007 listings (I wanted to create a note book of tomatoes).
GrowSeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2007   #18
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluelytes
PETE,
TYVM. I cannot pm
Regards;
bluelytes
Your PM function should be working now. :wink:

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2007   #19
travis
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137
Audrey Jennings Green Pineapple

Or is this something that has been listed before and there
is another Audrey Jennings out there somewhere?

PV, Green Pineapple has long been listed in the Yearbooks.

I checked and there was no Audrey Jennings listed in the listed member section
of the 2006 Yearbook, so you'll just have to wait until the 2007 to see what's up, I guess.
Yes about Green Pineapple previous listings ...
I was just curious about the Audrey Jennings connection ...
and thought maybe there's an outside chance someone here
would know something because it would've been someone at GW
or T'ville that I sent seeds to ... and I thought maybe they got a mutation.

And then ... some others on that list that'll be interesting to read the blurbs
(for one reason or another):

1449 Marianna's Conflict
1334 (pink) Goose Creek
2617 (red) Goose Creek
793 Kumato
1168 Brandy Boy
2526 4th of July ...

... and grab your med bottle, Carolyn ...

2051 Bucks County

2007 Yearbook ... come on down!

PV
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2007   #20
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

... and grab your med bottle, Carolyn ...

2051 Bucks County

Now that one doesn't surprise me PV.

I've said that when Burpee first brought it out as Red Brandywine Hybrid I bought both seeds and plants from them and compared those with my own OP true Red Brandywine.

And saw no difference.

So........maybe someone else got the same results and is pretty much convinced that it basically acts like an OP.

I haven't had time to read thru the list and probably won't. I guess I'd just rather read thru the Yearbook while reclining in my recliner. Not much of a plot, but usually something interesting to dwell on.

And when talking to me don't ever say to grab my med bottle, as in the singular, for I assure you there's more than one sitting right here in front of the computer screen.
Old January 25, 2007   #21
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Oh it's worse. It's not listed as Bucks County. That would be maddening enough. Someone has entered it as Buck's County. Buck who? Buck Wheat?

Why isn't there someone knowledgeable about tomatoes screening this list and rejecting hybrids unless they are identified as a dehybridized growout?

All the news that fits, we print!

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
Old January 25, 2007   #22
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Why isn't there someone knowledgeable about tomatoes screening this list and rejecting hybrids unless they are identified as a dehybridized growout?

Joanne sits at her computer and enters what's sumbitted by the listed members. Period.

There are lots of errors in the listings and always have been.

And there's no one person anywhere who knows enough about ALL the varieties entered in order to assess their correctness.

Craig and I offered to do what we could to weed out as much bad stuff as we could, and that offer was many years ago. And b'c of that offer I was able to get all the Yearbooks back to 1975 when SSE was formed, and that's a treasure house I have to put in my will somewhere b'c few others have all of them.

Craig does, and probably Glenn as well, but several that I got were the last Yearbooks they had for a specific year.

Our offer never materialized, even after I e-mailed Kent several times and it was supposed to have been brought up at a meeting. Never was.

Craig is currently no longer listing varieties in the Yearbook and is doing other things.

I still am listing varieties but at this point I'm not going to bring it up to Aaron, Kent's son, who really is the one currently so very active as regards the catalog/website, etc.

Again, no one person knows enough about ALL tomato varieties to do what you suggest Feldon.

SSE is an organization that has facilitated the preservation of OP varieties, but expertise in ALL those varieties does not rest with them alone. So it's not a place to e-mail to ask about this or that variety. Over the years Arlyss, now retired, would ask my permission to give out my addy to someone who was asking about something, but that was not very often, and I'm sure she did that for a few others as well.

And another thing. Those who submit entries have huge differences in backgrounds so there are the newbies to the very experienced. So from the get go you're not only going to get varying levels of tomato knowledge, but you're also going to get some seeds sent out that are not pure. That's a given.

But where else would one have access to about 4000 varieties, many of them exceedingly rare. And on that note I've never suggested that folks join SSE just to get seeds, nor have I suggested that they get the common varieties almost everyone knows about. And further, I've suggested that they grow the more common ones first so as to build up a storehouse of tomato knowledge before trying to go for the rarer ones.

To me that makes good sense. if you get some crossed seed of a rare one, iof you don't know how to rogue out the bad stuff, your'e stuck, but so are others if you produce seed and then either peddle it elsewhere or reoffer it in the Yearbook.

And as long as folks are going to use the Yearbook just as a seed source without reoffering varieties in the YEarbook that's not good either.

I've said it before and I'll say it again......there are several valuable members, actually former SSE members, who have stopped listing varieties b'c folks who requested seeds never reoffered them.

Does a person have to reoffer? No, except if a variety is listed as Must Reoffer (MR), but the whole purpose of SSE, again, is preservation of varieties and that doesn't happen unless folks reoffer a least some of the varieties they get.

I think you can see that I have very strong feelings about this b'c I hate to see a system used solely as a seed source instead of a system set up for seed preservation.

OK, I'm stepping away from the lectern now, but gosh it felt good there for a few minutes.
Old January 25, 2007   #23
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

Is 706 Fuzzy Wuzzy for real???!!!!

Also, noticed Anna Banana Russian isn't in there yet.
Craig, are you planning to list this one after verifying stability?

Lee

Cuostralee - The best thing on sliced bread.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2007   #24
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137
And there's no one person anywhere who knows enough about ALL the varieties entered in order to assess their correctness.
There is a recurring theme here. When I've mentioned trying to make a website with historical information about as many vars as possible, or trying to clean up some of the data out there, etc. the response I've sensed is "if you can't fix all of it, why fix any of it?"

I feel there are benefits to even incremental improvements.

I hope you don't take this as a dig and only as feedback that I think ANY improvement in the organization and accuracy of available data is a good thing.

------------
PapaVic and I are discussing in the chat my suggestion that there be a "blocklist" of certain vars that can't be listed in the SSE. Here's my attempt at a guideline that wouldn't be too onerous:

Known hybrid varieties which have been grown out less than 5 seasons (F6) must include the F-generation in their listing.
-------------

Still very much looking forward to producing an online, searchable version of OTV, starting with the first issue.

Old January 29, 2007   #25
GrowSeeds
Tomatovillian™

Location: Somewhere in the Universe on planet Earth in the USA in Alabama - zone 8

OK I have the viewer and saved to a rtf file. Does anyone know of a freeware software that will combine the different files (I have them saved by the different colors listed} so I can get an A - Z list of the names? I'll contuine to google and if find will post it here.
John

edit - OK I found out that if yiu have Word (pc) that you can do it
GO TO
Table > Sort > Sort by select Field1 and select text.
GrowSeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2007   #26
bcday
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Joanne sits at her computer and enters what's sumbitted by the listed members. Period.
There are lots of errors in the listings and always have been.
I really appreciate all the effort Joanne and the rest of the staff at SSE put into making SSE what it is. It's a great organization.

I saved seeds of a variety that I got from TGS and submitted the name of it to SSE exactly the way it appears in the TGS catalog. The name did appear correctly in the 2006 Yearbook, but it was listed in the wrong section. In this Excel version for the 2007 Yearbook, the variety is now in the correct section, but its name has had an extra word added to it, and I did not submit it that way. The extra word may be an error, but at first glance it struck me as an editorial change. If it is indeed listed that way in the Yearbook I hope no one, especially TGS, is going to think that I changed the name myself.
bcday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2007   #27
Tania
Tomatovillian™

and, to add a comment similar to Nancy's post above -

I see a variety listed as 'Kartofel Nyi' listed in Pink-Purple section, although I submitted a listing for a variety called 'Kartofelnyi Malinovyi'. And I am sure 'Kartofelnyi' is one word, since in Russian it means 'Potato-like' or 'Potato Leaf'

So someone is editing the entries, no?

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2007   #28
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Still very much looking forward to producing an online, searchable version of OTV, starting with the first issue.
The SSE Yearbook is not copyrighted, right? I mean someone could actually type all that info and save it into an electronic format, and it wouldn't be something illegal?

Just wondering... :wink:

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2007   #29
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tania
Quote:
The SSE Yearbook is not copyrighted, right? I mean someone could actually type all that info and save it into an electronic format, and it wouldn't be something illegal?

Just wondering... :wink:
Yes, the Yearbook is copyrighted.

Morgan is referring to the newsletter (Off the Vine) that Craig and Carolyn used to put out. He had offered at one point to help make a complete archive of that accessible online.

Craig has some of it up.

http://nctomatoman.topcities.com/OffTheVineIndex.htm
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2007   #30
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Feldon wrote:

Tania wrote:

Tania, when Feldon speaks of OTV he's speaking of Off The Vine, the newsletter on heirloom tomatoes that Craig and I used to publish. There's been quite a bit of discussion about getting ALL of the issues, not just the few that Craig has at his website, online somewhere and Feldon has asked me several times if I could send him a few of the earliest copies so he can see what he can do.

I haven't yet done it for the same reason I haven't started looking for my greatgrandfather's discharge papers from the Civil war that my brother wants.

So he is not speaking about the list of varieties that will appear in the 2007 SSE Yearbook, which is just a list of tomato varieties.

And folks take info from the Yearbooks all the time to use for their own information and also some commercial seed sourvces do the same. but it doesn't make sense for anyone to type out lots of info for lots of varieties and publish it for everyone.

Also, if you look at the inside of the front of each Yearbook it very clearly states for each Yearbook that the contents are copyrighted and ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

Has there ever been need for SSE to pursue anything legally in this regard? With respect to the public catalog and the same at the website, yes, I do know of such b'c Aaron clued me into that and also told me about stuff being lifted illegally from my book.

But I simply don't know if any legal problems have arisen b'c of material being lifted directly from the Yearbooks.