Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 23, 2007   #1
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Default Carolyn gets the last laugh

Carolyn sent me some seeds a while back and I just now got around to researching info on them. I typed "Anna Herman" into Google and here's what I read from a GW post she made.

Carolyn Salem, NY (Zone 4b)
Jan 16, 2006 6:55 PM

"......I think I have some Anna Herman seeds around, if indeed I did save seeds as grown in the summer of 2004, but I must admit it was one of the worst varieties I've ever grown. Small yellow fruits and almost all of them were hollow and no taste at all, on small straggly det plants....."

I thought, God, why did she send me these?

Then it hit me. Since I like SFT [Silvery Fir Tree] and she despises the taste of SFT, and I've given her a hard time over the years about how wonderful SFT tastes, she figured I'd like ol' Anna. Or maybe I'd grow it without researching it and then spit it out like she did SFT. LOL.

Does anyone have a super great tasting unknown type I can send in return? :-)
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2007   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Now Earl, are you absolutely SURE that I was the one who sent you those seeds for Anna Herman? I mean if you didn't ask for them, now just WHY would I have sent them to you?

Usually I send them only to those who specifically request them.

OK, it's you and me and SFT between us but I've got the same thing going on with Glenn at Sandhill.

I think the variety Sandpoint is an absolute spitout and he doesn't. So we go back and forth on this and I will have the last laugh there b'c before next year I'll be redoing some of his tomato blurbs.
Old January 23, 2007   #3
bigcheef
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I'll be redoing some of his tomato blurbs.
Yeah,

He could use your help in that arena. In fact, he even says in his catalogue that he really doesn't care for tomatoes all that much.

I'm sure I'll be buying twice as many varieties from those nice folks when you start writing the descriptions... and maybe even a turkey or two :wink:

RIK
Cause I could be pushin up a home grown tomater

Lyrics by Guy Clark
bigcheef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2007   #4
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

By the way, Anna Herman (or Anna German as she was known in Russia and Poland) is usually huge indeterminate plant with nice looking heart shaped (plum with pointed end)!
Of course, we usually grow this Russian amateurish OP variety named after famous Polish Russian speaking female singer mostly for canning along with De Barao, but I've seen only semi-hollow (not hollow!) fruits from it! :wink:

P.S. It was interesting for me to read Anna Hermann in most of German web-sources, but original surename was Hoermann and she was born in Uzbekistan (then Soviet Union in 1936) in the mennonite German immigrant family (from North of Germany). In 1937 Anna's father was arrested in Stalin's purges and later executed. Later Anna's mother married a Polish citizen, but he was killed in the World War II. In 1946 Anna with her mother and grandmother moved to Poland.

Then Anna had became very popular singer in Russia and the whole Eastern Europe. Unfortunately she was committed dead after struggling with cancer in 1982.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anna_German

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2007   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the complete background Andrey,

I knew she was a singer and oh my she's beautiful, but as for the fruits of the variety named for her, well, not so beautiful.

I mean there's lots of them, and they were blemish free, but practically no taste and I won't quibble ( disagree) with your saying semi-hollow and my saying hollow, in other words, all the insides aren't there.
Old January 24, 2007   #6
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

Caroyln -

These varieties all look kindof the same:
"Wonderlight" & "Plum Lemon" right ???

~ Tom
Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2007   #7
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Tom, Choodo Sveta (or Lemon Liana) which is better known outside former USSR as Wonderlight or Miracle or the World or Plum Lemon is totally different variety. Fruit is not hollow or semi-hollow
You can see all differences in discribtions in my list :wink:

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Old January 24, 2007   #8
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Andrey -

I will check out your descriptions !

~ Tom
Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2007   #9
Grub
Tomatovillian™

I think my little baby Summer would take to those.
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2007   #10
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Grub, LOL. Probably so. Is it to late to start a fall crop? :-) I may have to grow some of those for myself! Would sure like to see a double. :-)
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2007   #11
flowerpower
Tomatovillian™

I think the Anna Herman is very interesting looking. I would grow it just for that reason.
flowerpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2007   #12
Mantis
Tomatovillian™

LOL. Growing them as dummies for Summer eh. What better way to get her into tomatoes. We may have a new Carolyn in the making
Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2007   #13
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Dear Carolyn,

welcome as always

I mean not everybody and everywhere like beefsteaks. These are very nice looking tomatoes and we like them best as pickles because of their thick skin.

Of course, there are so many good tomato varieties for pickling, but it's a matter of traditions what to put in your can and eat as an extra to vodka and sandwich on a New Year party after a bottle of champagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137
Thanks for the complete background Andrey,

I knew she was a singer and oh my she's beautiful, but as for the fruits of the variety named for her, well, not so beautiful.

I mean there's lots of them, and they were blemish free, but practically no taste and I won't quibble ( disagree) with your saying semi-hollow and my saying hollow, in other words, all the insides aren't there.

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR