Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 23, 2007   #16
Earl
Tomatovillian™

PV,
IIRC, trader wasn't sure when contacted where the original seeds came from that they grew-out. May have been a Burpee, Red Brandywine, but they weren't sure. Livingston never came up in afterward discussion as a possible seed source.

Whatever the source, whether a "sport" or whatever, it doesn't taste like anything readily available or it would have been positively idenified by now with it having been spread around so far and wide around the world.
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2007   #17
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

I grew EF, Brandywine Sudduth, and Marianna's Peace this year in the same row. In a series of side by side taste tests between me and my DH, we gave EF a very slight edge over the other two, but they were close. Visually, they look about the same to me except that MP might have a tad smaller fruits than the other two. Productivity was good for all three (and all three were more productive than Stump, which was grown two rows over). 2006 was my first year growing EF, but BS and MP I've been growing for about 5 yrs. MP has been the more reliable in terms of production as compared to BS.

All three are great tomatoes and boy oh boy, my mouth is watering now.

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2007   #18
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

Oh! So you're the Earl of Earl's Faux? Great story! I'm hoping to grow EF this year. Is TGS a good seed source? Sounds like EF makes the tip top of many lists here for flavor. I can't wait to try it!

Thanks!

Don
Old January 25, 2007   #19
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Earl's Faux and another one that Earl is a fan of, Kimberly, are new for '07 at TGS. I've had very good results from TGS. I am assuming they got the seeds directly from Earl or by way of Carolyn.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote