Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 2, 2007   #1
Gimme3
Tomatovillian™

Default Yugoslavian question

It appears that the original source for a Yasha Yugoslavian tomato was a gentleman named Yasha Crnkovich.
This prompts the question...Is a Yasha Yugoslavian seed/cultivar the same thing as a Crnkovich Yugoslavian, or are they both ....different from each other ? And if they are one and the same, what should be the most proper name of identification ?

Inquiring minds would like to know...)))
Old February 2, 2007   #2
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Actually they are Carolyn's "offsprings" ("grandchildren")

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2007   #3
creister
Tomatovillian™

Hey Gimmie,

Glad to see you post, was begining to wonder about you.

I believe they are two different varieties that Carolyn recieved from someone she knows from Yugoslavia. I have ordered Crnkovich Yugo to grow this year, the description in Carolyn's book makes it sound real good. I am also growing it because my great grandmother immigrated to the USA from Yugoslavia.
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2007   #4
velikipop
Tomatovillian™

According to the descriptions, I believe that they are different. Crnkovic is pink and Yasha is red. I grew Crnkovic last year and will grow Yasha this year alongside Yugoslavian (seed from Sandhill) and another Yugoslavian, seed saved from tomato bought at the market.

Crnkovic was a good plant. Lots of nice tomatoes, but I found the flavour a bit weak.

I also have an interest in plants from the region because of my Serbian roots. I will be traveling back to the area in the spring and hope to collect as many tomato and pepper varities as possible..both commercial and other.

I still have a few varieties left from 2005 if anyone wants to try a few seeds. They are Backa, Volovsko Srce, (an Oxheart that could be Serbian, Russian or whatever), Adonis ,Novosadski Jabucar and Lova VF. All are commercial seed.

Send me an E-mail at achillies3@shaw.ca.

Alex

Bob Dylan
velikipop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2007   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Crnkovic Yugoslavian and Yasha Yugoslavian are two different varieties I got from Yasha Crnkovic who was head of the Computer Science Dept at the last place where I taught before retirement.

Crnkovic Yugoslavian, the one in my book, is a pink beefsteak. And on the page where that one is pictured I also spoke to the one called Yasha Yugoslavian and noted that it was heart shaped, and it too is pink.

I have quite a few from that general region and Yugo comes to mind, but all of those I never kept up with as to growing out for new stock, so those seeds are very old and would need waking up.

Those of you who knew about the two seed offers I made at GW know that I offered over 300 varieties and those were all older seeds. Just a few of those were from Eastern Europe.

If any of you are interested in what I might have from that area I can take a look at my index, which is in pencil in a notebook from when I sent lots of varieties to Israel for a project last year, as did Craig and Glenn Drowns after I recruited them b'c they needed 1000 different varieties.

The second part isn't so easy and that's finding the vials and envelopes with the seeds of those older varieties.
Old February 2, 2007   #6
velikipop
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn,

I did get some Yasha seeds from you in your offer. For some reson I thought it was red!!. I would love to try other varieties that you might have from the area. Of course, this would be at your convenience when you get the time. I probably wouldn't be growing them this year as I am already palnning to grow about 70 different varities . I am also very interested in any old or rare American heirlooms.

Thanks,

Alex

Bob Dylan
Old February 2, 2007   #7
Gimme3
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the replies/answer....yall. I guess that means i need to try em Both...))) Ty, again.
Old February 2, 2007   #8
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Alex, what say you start reminding me in mid to late summer after I've recuperated enough from the new right hip that goes in in May and I'll try to ID some of those varieties. And yes, I also have quite a few older /rare American commercial heirlooms, if that's what you're referring to. Many of them are also listed in the SSE Yearbooks.

So, it's up to you to remind me of what I'm supposed to be doing re digging out those kinds of seeds.
Old February 2, 2007   #9
velikipop
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn,

That suits me fine. Hope for a speedy recovery from your surgery.

Alex

Bob Dylan