Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 26, 2007   #16
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Bill,

If I didn't already say so, many thanks. I have those spuds in my top-shelf collection for sowing as soon as the first signs of Autumn show.

Thanks again.

Mantis,
I really don't know how I can resist the cuteness. Heard of the Born Identity. I'm the Born Sucker, go wobbly at the knees at the slightest hint of a tear.
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2007   #17
Mantis
Tomatovillian™

It's a wild ride with daughters and fantastic. Don't know about boys, can only guess.
My 12 yo has only just caught on that the tooth fairy is a myth. Its a shame as she will pass on all this big girl knowledge to her younger sister.
I myself believed in santa etc until it suited me as my brother and sister were 10 years older than me and out of the house. Sad but true.
Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2007   #18
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

Incredible incentive for those of us just thinking about starting seeds...

I am so impressed by the likes of you guys who wait to report on taste for the ripe or nearly ripe toms...I have never had that kind of self control...If it is a new to me variety or early in the year, I pretty much am chewing into them as I walk to the house....or upon arrival...I have discovered some taste better barely ripe with that technique....

Of course I open UPS packages on the lawn if the weather is good...

Please report on taste soon, tomato starved minds want to know...

Jeanne
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2007   #19
Rena
Tomatovillian™

Fantastic pics!!
I am going to do a photo spoof of you Grub when my tomatoes come in LOL!!!
Rena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2007   #20
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Where's the wave? For posting such stuff you deserve a huge wave to douse you. LOL. I'm ready for Spring!!!!
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2007   #21
Dukerdawg
Growing for Market Moderator

Grub, I am salivating over that bounty! Man, oh man ...does that look good!..no! Great!!!!!! Keep up the pics...with snow and below zero temps here ...I am dreaming of summer (the season, not your little girl!)...although I am sure she is dreamy in her cuteness!

Duane
Dukerdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2007   #22
Patrina_Pepperina
Cross Hemisphere Dwarf Project™ Moderator

I'm salivating too Grub! Those green Sneezys look awesome!!

What a character you are. The first pic of you sprawled across the lawn says it all

PP
Old January 26, 2007   #23
dcarch
Tomatovillian™

Default Re: Grub Comes Good...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grub
Reminds me of:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23dBG27gnuU

dcarch
dcarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2007   #24
Dr_Redwine
Tomatovillian™

Default Grub

Grub:
Very, very nice looking maters.

DrR
Old January 27, 2007   #25
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Cheers and I know you will have your revenge

Mantis asked: Hows the Nepel X TT going??
it's a huge bush with excellent disease resistance and a prolific spread of small salad-type to large cherries. Interestingly, they are very firm like a commerical type and have that light red colour, too. They look for all the world like they would tast like paper, but they actually have a good Nepal zippiness. Not the best by any means, but I'm enjoying them halved, sprinkled with sugar, baked for four hours. And at least one relative likes them, as they present well and hold for a long time on the truss.
Old January 28, 2007   #26
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Spudleaf Bill,

I have been admiring Grandpa Charlie in my box of pinks alongside some big Polish. The fruits are indistinguishable sitting alongside each other. I have had Polish before, but not yet this season. So we had Grandpa Charlie this morning...

Grandpa Charlie: A superb late-season large pink tomato, very dense and meaty, born on tall PL plant that's more vigorous than my Polish and Earl's Faux plants, more like a Brandywine Sudduth but without the EB problems. Not unlike a Prudens Purple plant. But the taste is just oustanding. Mrs Grub says one of the best this season. I have to agree. Sweet, fruity, great depth of flavour but not quite as complex as B.Sudduth, more a pure taste, an exemplorary pink, like a fine New Zealand example of Sauvignon Blanc. Taste 9/10. I'm adding 0.5pt for plant habit and size of fruit = 9.5pt/10. (B.Sudduth is 10/10, EF is 9.75/10 and Marianna's Peace is, in a perfect year, 9.5/10 [these are my top three pinks for taste so now that becomes a top four and MP has been beaten by GC on a countback since its less fickle]). I hope that gives some idea about the taste of this delicious large pink tomato. And as I type this, a cursory glance to the left out the window reveals a giant Grandpa Charlie winking at me from amongst the foliage. My sister-in-law tried to pinch it... I said hands off! Production is high end of medium. Can handle a bit of heat and humidity.

MANY THANKS SPUD!