Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old September 25, 2011   #46
Mark0820
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmontanez View Post
I will try...

You can plant true seed (TPS) and get more berries with TPS to save. I have done that BUT they are more like hybrid tomatoes seeds because the true potato seed have diversity in the genes. If you plant TPS seeds, all the plants are not identical. You can end up with different color tubers!

The potato plant grown from TPS will develop potatoes and you can replant those the next year but again you will get diverse potatoes and you will need to select those you like to replant.

Stabilized potato? TPS gives you new varieties of potato. You have to select those you like and continue to plant via vegetative cloning by planting a tuber etc and saving them each year. But the TPS has the information locked in so you could replant few years later and refresh those you like.

Did I make you more confused?
Thanks! That clears up the confusion I had regarding TPS.
Mark0820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29, 2011   #47
flutterby
Tomatovillian™

I sowed some TPS, but they never develped a tuber. What is the secret? When do you start them?
flutterby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2011   #48
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by flutterby View Post
I sowed some TPS, but they never develped a tuber. What is the secret? When do you start them?
How long did they grow for??
Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2, 2011   #49
flutterby
Tomatovillian™

They are still alive and growing, since earlier in the year.
Old October 3, 2011   #50
GunnarSK
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by flutterby View Post
They are still alive and growing, since earlier in the year.
I also have some potato plants from TPS, from Durgan, wmontanez and Tom. They were probably sown too late (in May), and only one from Tom shows decent leaves and has probably tuberized. The others need to be overwintered indoors to grow better next year. I think you shall treat them like tomatoes.
GunnarSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2, 2011   #51
macmex
Tomatovillian™

Well, it's 'bout time I drop in again. I planted several of Tom's potato seed. But, unfortunately, we experienced the highest recorded temps ever recorded during 30 days, anywhere in the continental USA. My poor seedlings languished and died. I plan on trying again in the coming year. Just thought I'd drop in and report.

George
Tahlequah, OK
macmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2, 2011   #52
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

That's a shame for ya George what sort of temps were you getting??

Richard
Old December 2, 2011   #53
macmex
Tomatovillian™

We stayed above 90 F during the nights and went above 100 F (sometimes as high as 115 F) during the day time. For close to two months we received no rain. I had trees die due to these conditions and our sweet potatoes, in spite of my attempts to irrigate them, flopped. Regular potatoes, planted early, didn't thrive, but they did produce. But those I transplanted out as seedlings didn't stand a chance.

George
macmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2, 2011   #54
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

wow, man thats hot
Old December 2, 2011   #55
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

That's too bad. Please try again. I discovered 2 awesome new potatoes that was from Open pollinated TPS from some of Tom's varieties. I will give it some cool name with Tom's suggestions next year. This year some produced TPS so it should be fun to try again few seeds to see what I end up with. Mine did poorly this year also but probably because I planted in pots. Next time will be in the ground.
Old December 2, 2011   #56
peppero
Tomatovillian™

what is the current price of your sampler? jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2012   #57
flutterby
Tomatovillian™

Wendy,

I finally had one very small tuber form and put it out in the garden, in a raised bed. it might have been too soon. I will check on it and see. I could bring it back in and then put it in a pot on the windowsill and then bring it back to the garden once the weather turns warm or in early spring.

It has been rather warm this winter, that is why it is out there now, as I am thinking that it might have a head start if I leave it in there. Since I do not have 2 tubers and just bring in one, maybe I should just bring it indoors. I am thinking of also potting up some other tubers early instead of waiting until March or April. When do you put yours outside?

Evelyn
Old February 2, 2012   #58
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

Evelyn,
Because of winter I plant the tubers in early May but this year it has been very warm. I had tubers stay in soiless media in the refrigerator crisper for 4 weeks to break their dormancy and once planted they sprout in few days. I have some in pots right now because of their short dormancy that even want to put flowers go figure. So if you have the space and light why not. See my post about Moie-moie since there are pictures of the plants growing. It is possible to grow tubers indoors under light which gave me an idea to actually on purpose start a potato or TPS seedling in a pot in August to harvest for Thanksgiving or Christmas.
Old February 10, 2012   #59
GunnarSK
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmontanez View Post
It is possible to grow tubers indoors under light which gave me an idea to actually on purpose start a potato or TPS seedling in a pot in August to harvest for Thanksgiving or Christmas.
Maybe it would be best to see something from Tom on this one, because he actually lived in California once (and of course knows most about potatoes).
GunnarSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2012   #60
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Yes, I have started TPS sowings in August many times,,,,mostly in California, Kansas, and now in Washington. Harvest in December is the optimum time...keeping the vines at a cool temperature, just a bit over freezing, during the senescence period.
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote