Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 14, 2019   #16
clara
Tomatovillian™

Ted, I see a lot of the seeds are brown or have brown spots. I have had that myself and asked myself what that means as to germination and the development of the plants/fruits later on. A nice friend with a much larger garden than mine is has helped to clear that question: The germination rate is worse than with "normal" seeds, but there can be germination. If so, the plants and tomatoes showed no difference to plants started from "normal" seeds.

When you started your seed test, did you eliminate the brown seeds or did you use both, the brown and the normal seeds? I only remember one rate of my friend's germination experiment: Out of 21 brown seeds (same variety), only 4 germinated.

We could not find out what was/is the reason for the brown seeds. Tomatoes picked to late, overripe? That can't be because I also had that phenomenon in not fully ripe tomatoes. A biologist might know more, but we both aren't.
clara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2019   #17
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Hey and Howdy, Miss Clara. Actually, all the seeds had both sides with that Black/Dark Brown on them. I put a dozen into the mix to check germination and haven't seem anything as of this morning. It may be that the plant in the bucket is not getting enough light. I've starved it for full spectrum light as part of the testing I started back before I had my disaster. Anyhow, nothing ventured - nothing gained. I still have plenty of seeds from the original fruit. I think I'll start a couple seeds from those. I want to grow this one in the main garden this year. Still plenty of time to get some fruit late in the season.

On the blackened seeds, my first thoughts went to some kind of "Fruit Abortion" due to stress. We'll see with the other two fruits coming along.

Hope this finds you well.

Today is also my first plant-out day of the 2019 season. Gonna be tired tonight.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Last edited by ContainerTed; May 15, 2019 at 08:28 AM.
ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2019   #18
clara
Tomatovillian™

Ted, I'll start tomorrow with my plant-out. This night is the last of the so-called "Ice Saints" when frost still can happen and in some parts of Germany it really will. Fortunately this region is much warmer! I'll start with the hanging baskets, 20 - 24 I think.
clara is offline   Reply With Quote