Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 9, 2019   #1
Kazedwards
Tomatovillian™

Default Curling leaves. Stress?

Hello everyone. So this year I started about 30 different tomatoes. I used the baggy method and planted them into solo cups when they started to germinate. Then they all came up and were stunted for about a month because the the potting mix I used was crap. Literally no growth for a month. I repotted them having 3-4 seedlings to a cup thinking a lot wouldn’t make it. Well most did and the took off. Fast forward a month and they were all around 9 to 12 inches tall so I thinned them by just snipping them at the soil line to just one per cup. The remaining just kept growing strong. Then about a week and a half ago they got to the top of my lights with my light as high as they go. A few of them got a bit of light burn at that point. We had rain every day all day in forecast for a week. It still hasn’t stopped raining btw and it’s a muddy mess. Anyway I decided to take them outside under our covered porch to start hardening off. My thought was it will by raining and cloudy the whole week so they will start to get use to outside conditions and only get use to the sun little bit at a time. Plus the covered patio blocks them from the rain. It can get pretty windy but I brought them back in if it did. My problem now is what I think is just a lot of stress on them. The wind has beat them up a few time for just a moment until I brought them in. By just a moment I mean like 20 minutes. They shouldn’t be over watered. The soil is barely moist if that. Honestly it’s not dry but closer to that than wet. Right now and for several days now I have a ton of curling leaves on any new growth. I’m thinking it is just stress but though I would ask you guys for your opinion. Its on most of them. Is there something I can do or something I’m doing wrong? I’m planning on planting them out next week if it ever drys out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Kazedwards; May 9, 2019 at 01:07 AM.
Kazedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2019   #2
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Any chance they were exposed to even the slightest drift of somebody spraying weeds etc with herbicide? Even a neighbor?
Hopefully they will outgrow this but it appears as herbicide damage to me.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2019   #3
Kazedwards
Tomatovillian™

Well actually I had somebody treat my front yard while they were in the garage. The door was closed to whole time. The day after they were out front for a bit of sun but yard was dry at the point. Where they have been for the last week is quite a ways away from anywhere he sprayed.

Old May 9, 2019   #4
Kazedwards
Tomatovillian™

If it is herbicide damage is there a way to treat it? Should I cut off the affected areas?

Old May 9, 2019   #5
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

At this point I would just care for them well and get them planted provided they don’t get worse.
Tomato seedlings are extremely sensitive to the slightest exposure to herbicide.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2019   #6
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

A common herbicide that causes this is aminopyralid. Can be usually found in contaminated cow and chicken manure. They can last a while in the soil too.

This symptom can be strange since it may effect some plants and not others, but what I found once I got rid of those chicken manure compost fertilizer and use fresh potting mix I no longer have the problem.
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2019   #7
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

TMV will exhibit those fern leaf foliage.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2019   #8
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

The pictures are too large and close up to see the overall plants, but last year i had something called physiologic curling of the leaves from too fast growth, and they put out new, normal growth after going into garden.

Last edited by SueCT; May 10, 2019 at 05:54 AM.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2019   #9
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

24-d drift usually feels like the leaves have turned to leather. those look soft and wispy. could it just be the variety, by the way?
Old May 10, 2019   #10
Kazedwards
Tomatovillian™

I do has some hearts that are normally wispy foliage. It’s the new growth only for the most part that is curling. Some of them are starting to grow out of it from the looks of it tonight. Today and tomorrow they will be in the house. Lower light from just our windows then I will start hardening them off again. I still plan of getting them in the ground later next week. Hopefully they will pull out if it. Thanks for the help everyone. I really appreciate it!

Old May 10, 2019   #11
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

It's a sad thing to see the herbicide leafs, and unfortunately from personal experience,they don't actually recover. I hope yours will.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2019   #12
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I have seen hickory trees poisoned with 2,4-D and 2,4,5-T mixed with diesel where they didn't use enough.
Agent orange.
The leaves got huge and strange looking.
My first job ever was to poison hardwood trees for the forest service at 16 years old.
It made me sick to kill huge hardwoods to make room for pine trees.
Some of these old hardwoods were 3 to 4 foot in diameter.
So I quit.

Here is a pictuer of the tool we used.

Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote